Suitable punishment for naughty 3 year old?

(99 Posts)
Sillyboys Mon 01-Apr-13 13:47:05

This is not so much an AIBU..it is an IHBU(is he being unreasonable)!DH has just returned from the park with the DSs .DS1 is 3.5 and came in in tears crying because he wanted his toy dinosaur.When I asked where it was he cried and said it was in the river.Then DH admitted he has thrown it in the river because DS1 had deliberately thrown a ball in the river that they were playing with.DS has been quite naughty recently(has a new baby brother) but I think DH has been a bit harsh.This dinosaur goes everywhere,even to bed,and I think DH has been mean.I don't agree that DS1 should get away with everything but I think confiscation would have been enough,not permanently throwing it away.AIBU?

allagory Tue 02-Apr-13 00:39:41

Get a grip. A cuddly toy went in a river: no one was harmed! I am sure both son and husband learned a little more about life and each other from it.

whokilleddannylatimer Tue 02-Apr-13 00:27:41

Comfort toys are out of bounds, dc1 has a cat that has dissapeared and is upset now at ten!

SirBoobAlot Tue 02-Apr-13 00:09:34

Glad the dinosaur is back, but seriously... What a fucking horrible thing to do. What an utterly heartless bastard you would have to be to do that to a child's comforter.

RapunzelAteMyHamster Mon 01-Apr-13 23:51:31

My dad threw my tape player out of the window when I was 15 and listening to some awful guns and roses song which was basically just screaming fuck off over and over again.

He then spent the rest of the afternoon fixing it smile Glad everyone is feeling calmer.

Dancergirl Mon 01-Apr-13 23:48:54

Oh thank goodness you got it back, poor little boy.

I wouldn't dream of doing that with ANY toy, let alone a beloved one.

babanouche Mon 01-Apr-13 23:32:25

Hurrah for safe return of the dinosaur! No harm done. Silly thing to do, of course, but we've all had our parenting fails, I'm sure, especially while sleep deprived and looking after a 3 yr old AND a new baby.

Bet your OH is very sheepish now, OP. Grab a cuddle with him and imagine how comedy he must have looked being that mad with a toddler. We've all done it, don't care what anyone else says. Main thing is he went in after it. That must be worth a giggle too, surely.wink

Apileofballyhoo Mon 01-Apr-13 23:26:42

Glad you got the dinosaur back.

Euclase Mon 01-Apr-13 22:53:21

shock

I'd have gone batshit ! Your poor son. Comfortors are out of bounds.

Your DH was very mean angry

I feel so sorry for your little boy. 3 is still a baby. Your 'd'h sounds like a complete and utter cunt, and he'd be out on his ear if he was mine.

milkymocha Mon 01-Apr-13 22:28:40

You sound nice OP but, your DH is a twat.

I would have gone absolutely insane in this position. I hope your son chucks his phone/wallet/keys next time.
Idiot

mumofweeboys Mon 01-Apr-13 20:29:00

Glad your dh got it back. Sleep deprived parents plus 2 toddlers can make for very irrational parent moments.

Your DS wasn't naughty. Balls are to be thrown, some people throw them into rivers for dogs. Hes copying normal adult behaviour. Poor DS, he hasn't acted badly at all, DH has. Glad he has it back, but what was your DH thinking.

Catmint Mon 01-Apr-13 20:21:31

Pleased that dinosaur is back. I bet your DP has learned from this, it really was a terrible thing to do, but I hope he will reflect on what appropriate sanctions are.

midastouch Mon 01-Apr-13 20:10:36

shock
Your poor ds, suitable punishment would have been going home and telling him if he does it again he wont be able to come out and play with daddy! Thats my opinion anyway.
You never ever chuck your childrens toys away, confiscate yes, although not a toy that goes to bed.
As for your DH, you should be very angry with him, send him out to buy a new dinosaur and an extra one to say sorry

GravityDefier Mon 01-Apr-13 20:08:59

I had a teddy from birth, my absolute comfort toy. He was with me when I moved, went on school trips etc. I lost it when I was an adult, and I cried. I was so upset because it held all these memories and it had always been there. I cannot imagine how a three year old can feel. Saying the DH made a mistake isn't good enough in my books. This is a horrible horrible thing to do and it would make me think long and hard about the way I have perceived DH so far. Hurting a three year old so badly? What a bully. And you can't take that shock back, your little boy will remember this. I am so sad for the kid.

Maryz Mon 01-Apr-13 19:57:49

I also feel a little sorry for him.

He ballsed up, but did his best to fix it.

I hope you both get some sleep smile.

Bakingtins Mon 01-Apr-13 19:55:47

LTB is a bit extreme, surely? The DH is probably sleep deprived if there is a new baby in the house, and 3 yr olds can be very aggravating. He lost his temper, did something stupid and has now had to paddle in the river to redeem himself. Lesson learned, he'll think before acting next time.

landofsoapandglory Mon 01-Apr-13 19:21:29

I told DH about this earlier. He said if he had done that when ours were small (he wouldn't have), he would have been too scared to have come home to tell me!blush

ariane5 Mon 01-Apr-13 19:08:14

What a horrible thing to do. I have to say though my DH has threatened similar before to dcs and I have told him to never dare throw teddy/blanket away no matter how naughty dcs are.

Your poor ds, I hope you can get dinosaur back or buy a replacement.

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 01-Apr-13 18:57:41

Totally histerical thread, in both sences. But well done everyone for entering into them spirit of it

(dons flame proof coat and runs for the hills, and rivers)

KurriKurri Mon 01-Apr-13 18:30:34

I agree with crashdoll - I cannot contemplate staying around someone who is that cruel, what an utterly bastard thing to do. I'm glad your little boy has his dinosaur back, but Good God I utterly despair.

Have just read the Easter egg punishment thread and I thought that was bloody sad too but refrained from posting.

have people gone mad because it is the holidays?

sadsad

Hissy Mon 01-Apr-13 17:25:47

WTAF? The merest hint of anyone doing this to my DS's monkey makes me feel physically ill!

OP, you H is a twat, and a mean, disgusting little twat at that.

Go and get the dinosaur.

Remotecontrolduck Mon 01-Apr-13 17:12:28

What?! That is an absolutely barbaric thing to do to a three year old child!

What is wrong with some parents? Why this crazy over reaction to everything? I've just seen the other thread about the four year old and the easter eggs and am stunned at how cruel some people can be to tiny kids. I'm not a soft touch by any means but punishments need to be proportionate to the actions and the understanding of the child!

I'd have gone ballistic if a partner of mine had done that. I probably would have kicked him out the house at least temporarily for being such a twat.

crashdoll Mon 01-Apr-13 16:52:57

If my husband did that to my young child, I might seriously considering leaving the bastard.

Altinkum Mon 01-Apr-13 16:49:19

I despair of parents on here sometimes, these are under 5's who adult parents have the brain cells of a fish!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now