to think people should be able to cope with their own children alone?

(287 Posts)
alisunshine29 Thu 07-Mar-13 22:37:16

I have two daughters aged 5.5 years and 9 months and can and do do everything with/for them. I have friends with similar aged children who wouldn't dream of giving the kids a bath/taking them swimming /shopping/out for the day without their husband or mum there to 'help They also expect husband/mum to take kids if they're ill themselves/take time out to help with kids if they're ill. AIBU to think it's a bit daft if a parent can't cope with their kids and basic day to day things alone?

Interesting that what I would perceive as both parents sharing the work and responsibility of their DC, you perceive as the mother being unable to cope. Or is this your DP's perception that he is imposing on you, alisunshine29?

cory Thu 07-Mar-13 22:53:23

What's wrong with expecting the children's father to co-parent them though, if he happens to be around? Why shouldn't he?

I don't pity you, but as far as my life is concerned, doing things together is something we enjoy.

TheChaoGoesMu Thu 07-Mar-13 22:53:36

Can I have a medal? Because I'm so super and can do all those things.

YAB completely unreasonable op. Everyone is different and their circumstances and how they cope are different too.

aldiwhore Thu 07-Mar-13 22:54:23

Even the best coper has wobbles. Lonliness can be crippling when it catches you, whether you're in a relationship or not. Both parents being 'copers' certainly makes life that bit easier.

YANBU to think that there are many people out there who, for no apparant reason refuse to even try to cope, but not reasons are obvious, so it's not really wise to get judgey... some great parents can't 'cope' with small babies but are bloody great with teens, the word 'children' covers a lot of difference!!

All children are different.

YABU to assume that every parent 'should' be able to simply cope with their own child end of... that's a HUGE generalisation.

In fact, YABU end of.

coldcupoftea Thu 07-Mar-13 22:54:49

OMG, mothers who ask a man to look after his own children when they are ill? Lazy cows <shakes head in disappointment>

TheChaoGoesMu Thu 07-Mar-13 22:54:55

You do have a large age gap op, makes things easier imo.

KatieMiddleton Thu 07-Mar-13 22:55:11

Yes it is not on to expect our husbands to help with the children. Women! Know your places!

I am discusted, appauled and think people should be more discrete about there bad parenting.

BadRoly Thu 07-Mar-13 22:55:23

I can't take my children swimming on my own because our local pool has a 1:1 ratio for under 5s. So if I want to go swimming with my children, I need to take at least one other adult into the pool.

MsAkimbo Thu 07-Mar-13 22:55:44

I don't know how people have more than one kid. My night is all-consumed by my DD. Honestly, whenever my Dh/Dm/Dmil offer to help, I accept. Am I a bad parent?

cory Thu 07-Mar-13 22:55:55

If I had asserted my right to cope alone all the time, I don't suppose dh would have grown into the highly capable and confident parent that he is. Which would have been everybody's loss.

IneedAgoldenNickname Thu 07-Mar-13 22:55:57

But my Mum doesn't 'co-parent' them confused she loves spending time with them, and if that time also means I can be ill in peace then she enjoys it more knowing it benefits her daughter if that makes sense.

NaturalBaby Thu 07-Mar-13 22:55:57

If they're happy with the arrangement then it's obviously not a problem.
It wouldn't work for me - I need to know I can cope with my 3 on my own in case I don't have the luxury of help when I need it.

MsVestibule Thu 07-Mar-13 22:57:11

AIBU to think it's a bit daft if a parent can't cope with their kids and basic day to day things alone? Fair enough, yes, parents should be able to do this, and the vast majority (IME) do, but often, if help is available, they choose not to. Bit of a difference.

From your latest post, your AIBU should really read "AIBU to get fed up of being pitied because I don't have help available?".

WickWackThurso Thu 07-Mar-13 22:57:36

Are you seriously suggesting that if you're ill, and you're lucky enough have a partner or mother who can help you, you should decline? Why?!

I absolutely expect dh to help when dds are poorly - we share through increased workload. There are 2 of us, why would only one do the work?

Wrt to swimming - most pools have strict rules and may not allow 2 non swimmers to 1 parent.

You sound like a lovely friend.....

alisunshine29 Thu 07-Mar-13 22:57:38

I wasn't saying mother, I said parent. I agree parenting is team work but do think both parents should be capable of doing everything alone should they have to - I.e if their DP was hospitalised

Good point cory.

mummyplum1 Thu 07-Mar-13 23:00:14

It's great for a child to have the attention and support of both parents and extended family too.

I think the OP was referring to SAHMs being unable to take their own DC (presumably just like herself two rather than six of them and excluding SEN) to the shops/ for an activity like swimming without someone else to help. In which case, I do agree with her apart from the illness bit which makes no sense.
I think that some people who do have the option of lots of help can become a little frightened about their ability to cope when they would probably be fine if they didn't have the option or perhaps they become a bit lazy..

IneedAgoldenNickname Thu 07-Mar-13 23:00:19

^ wouldn't dream of giving the kids a bath/taking them swimming /shopping/out for the day without their husband or mum there to 'help They also expect husband/mum to take kids if they're ill themselves/take time out to help with kids if they're ill.^

You said husband or Mum in the OP! I don't have a husband, my ex is a twat. My Mum otoh is mainly fab

Catsdontcare Thu 07-Mar-13 23:01:44

I can do all those things by myself but by god if there is someone nearby with a hint of a pulse who can help then I'm taking what I can get!

And agree you have a lovely age gap.

OP, if you had phrased it differently then I think people would be more understanding.

Other people should not be pitying you for not having help available; it's none of their business and you sound perfectly capable.

But you shouldn't be judging others for making the most of that help when it is available.

ariane5 Thu 07-Mar-13 23:02:14

I am not capable at all of looking after my dcs by myself. Simply cannot do it its far too much hard work!

I always need dh to help me (or my mum/sister if they are not busy) and I dread days when I know I will be alone as I get nothing done and end up incredibly stressed.

MIL is disgusted at me-according to her I should NEVER ask dh for help! Her words to me earlier this week were "men go to work and do the garden, women do everything else, I don't understand your new way of doing things but its making dh ill he needs to rest not be up in the night with children" !!!

I think it is perfectly reasonable to need help with dcs so YABU

pictish Thu 07-Mar-13 23:03:26

Oh god OP you have not thought this through at all!
Everyone is different. To each their own.
My mil has been known to watch my lot for few hours when I've been ill. Yes please and thank you is what you say to that.

Glad you're so pleased with yourself. Really I am. You sound happy actually.
That's nice for you.
Everyone is different.

Wandastartup Thu 07-Mar-13 23:03:28

I don't have much help and have managed all the things stated by OP (with a small age gap) but if I'd had willing family nearby I would have bitten their hands off if they offered to have the kids while I went shopping etc!
Now I feel sorry for my kids that we don't have relatives at school events/ collecting from school now and again.
I can manage all these things but it would be really nice not to have to sometimes!

Catsdontcare Thu 07-Mar-13 23:03:54

One of the things I'm most looking forward to when the children leave home is being ill. Oh to be ill and stay in bed and fester undisturbed.

akaemmafrost Thu 07-Mar-13 23:04:10

I am not sure what business it is of yours but since you're asking I am a lone parent of two dc with SN. I've got so many medals it takes me two hours to put them on in the morning. I am thinking of changing my name to Mr T.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now