The bra Interventions continued....

(1000 Posts)

We filled a thread, so here's another!

Morning to you too SC smile

Looks like we all have a busy day ahead.

I may return here late tonight, probably with hot feet and a fried brain!

Claudiecat Sat 02-Mar-13 08:26:30

Just told DH. He's sceptical to say the least! Haha

SorrelForbes Sat 02-Mar-13 08:29:50

Morning married (what are you up to today I wonder? Some sort of rehearsing?) [nosey]

SorrelForbes Sat 02-Mar-13 08:31:50

Claudie - he may be sceptical now but try boring him with explaining the cup/back relativity thing and hopefully he'll become a bra convert as well.

My DH is quite good at spotting a badly fitting bra.

blibblibs Sat 02-Mar-13 08:53:50

Morning.

You 'did' me last night and I'm going to attempt to go to Bravisimmo today, should I phone and make an appointment or can I just turn up?

(poorly children would mean turning up easier!)

TheBriefestNameChange Sat 02-Mar-13 08:59:00

I think I need an intervention but I despair of anyone being able to find me a bra that makes my boobs look normal!

I measure 35 under bust and 43 if I bend over and measure round them. But I have what I believe are called tubular breasts. There is no breast tissue on the top of them and they are very widely spaced (there is nearly a 2 inch gap between them in the centre of my chest). When I don't have a bra on they literally just hang down with huge areola on the end that point down to the floor blush. I have no children and they have always been like this.

The only bra I have managed to find that makes them look normal is a cheap one from Primark that is massively padded and promises to "increase you by two cup sizes." because it is so padded underneath it sort of lifts them up and makes them look "normal" shaped. In any other bra I have to stuff chicken fillets in to get any real shape. I wear this bra in a 36d because it is the largest cup size they do but I am forever grabbing the front of the cups and pulling because I look down and realised I have spilt out over them. I also have to go to the loo several times a day and sort of lift them up in the cup as they sag downwards and I get more and more flat chested looking as the day goes on blush

I am also apple shaped and have a 38 inch waist so I generally end up looking like I have a huge stomach in comparison to my boobs with any other bra on.

Until I'm done losing weight (it's coming off slowly) and I can afford a boob job, can anyone offer me any words of wisdom?

Sorry for the major spilling of TMI but it does feel cathartic to share what I could never admit to in real life... sad

SorrelForbes Sat 02-Mar-13 09:10:39

Hi briefest. Ok, have you got a Bravissimo locally? Or a Debenhams,HoF, JL or a good independent? All good starting points for some trying on sessions.

My suggestion is to try a 34G, 34FF, 36FF and a 36F. However I suspect the 34 might be better for you.

It sounds as if your current bras are giving you very little support. You need something like a balconette, possibly with some light padding to give you some lift and fullness. I'm sure SC, married Etc will be along with suggestions for specific bras.

SorrelForbes Sat 02-Mar-13 09:11:24

blin. It'll probably be busy but I've never been turned away without an appt.

Hi thebriefestnamechange

I will admit, I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about this so hopefully MarriedNotDead will appear soon as she has great knowledge of individual bras and might be able to recommend the best thing for you.

Based on what you are describing from a sizing perspective you almost certainly need a bigger cup and possibly a smaller back - I would think having adequate support coming from the back would be extremely important for you. One bra which springs to mind that might be good for you is the Ewa Michalak PL Lilia (I think there are other colours too) which has removable pads in a little "pouch" at the front. Her bras are great for pushing you in and up anyway, and combined with the padding may be the way to go. I think this runs small in the back so would stick with the 36, but probably try a couple of cup sizes up - I'd try around an F cup ish

TheBriefestNameChange Sat 02-Mar-13 09:22:35

I have a House of Fraser near me so I can go and have a look in there this afternoon. I went to Bravissimo when I was looking for a bra to go under my wedding dress and the lady I saw told me that the Primark one I was wearing "looks like it fits you ok" and was very keen to sell me a strapless in the same size. I bought the strapless in a cup size up and wore it with two chicken fillets under each boob on my wedding day! The whole set up was most uncomfortable but at least I had boobs for a day!

I seem to struggle to find padding in cup sizes above a D but I will venture out later and do some trying on.

Thanks for the suggestion Statistically. Would I find that bra in a department store or would I need to look online?

What about something like this

The Ewa Michalak is only available online unfortunately however they really do lift you up and together, without being too low in the middle. You might also like something like the Curvy Kate Tease Me - it lift you inwards very well but has a relatively wide central gore so it might feel more comfortable than the style of bra which is trying to make your breasts actually touch = which may be pushing them too far from their natural position?

For strapless, try the Wonderbra Ultimate - it has no wires but the shaping could be excellent for you

Hi thebriefest namechange

A trip to a decent store such as Bravissimo would be good but failing that, I'd suggest trying their Alana and any Cleo balconette. With boobs that have less volume, the size that you need can vary wildly from bra to bra. From your description, I'd steer away from plunges and as an apple shape myself, I wear bras that stick my boobs out as far in front as possible!

Sorrel I will PM you wink

Furball Sat 02-Mar-13 09:57:13

Me 36 GG bra turned up this morning and I don't have quite enough stuffing to fill it on the top half, but do on the bottom. It was good round on the band

What is the next size down? is it 36G? and then is 36 FF?

I need to go to a shops so will head for M & S and have a try on, though I'm not to confident about what the right fit should be as I've been wearing wrong all my bra wearing days. Is it a case of I will just know when it's right?

Which bra did you get Furball, and have you scooped like a possessed woman?

HellesBelles396 Sat 02-Mar-13 10:20:08

I wasn't sure whether to measure underbra in 90degree position so did both:
under: either 36 or 38
over: 45
I have wide breasts which are slightly empty for two weeks a month and much fuller the other two weeks during which time my nipples are like bullets so I tend to wear a moulded cup to -- protect others from harm-- disguise them.

Go with the underbust upright - so start off with a 36G and work from there. I know what you mean about the variable boob size, mine are a bit like that too. I have a range of sizes!

mamarara Sat 02-Mar-13 10:22:39

Hello!
Please help me bra fairies. My measurements are 32 under bust and 39.5 over bust doing the leaning forward thing (much to husband and 3 year old's amusement).
What size bra do I need?
Currently wearing 36b and it so uncomfy I go braless whenever possible.
Thank you!

HellesBelles396 Sat 02-Mar-13 10:24:01

sc - thank you.

I always buy 3 or 4 of the same bra (when I find a comfy one) so I don't need to make early morning choices - do I really have to start putting thought into this?

mamarara I'm not surprised that is uncomfortable. Try starting with a 32F and 32FF but have a read of the fitting advice in the early posts so you know what to look for.

HellesBelles...I love bras, so having a selection isn't a chore ;) However, I find. I have bras that fit throughout the month because I shop for bras quite frequently. Some styles are more flexible though so it depends how big your difference is.

MrsKoala Sat 02-Mar-13 10:36:52

Morning boob gurus. You helped me loads (40/42a toa 36e! Thanks m&s hmm ) but now i want to spread the love and treat Mum to some lovely undies for Mothers day. I have just wrestled her to the ground and ripped off the nightie to reveal 37 under bust and 43 over. She is currently wearing 38b/c.

I have suggested a 36e but she is point blank refusing to try anything on that is over a d because she 'doesn't want big boobs' (erm surely you have the boobs you have the words on the label wont change that!) She tried scooping in her bra but said it made her 'too big'. Any suggetions on what size and styles wont make her feel like (as she puts it) 'Titsalina Bumsquirt'?

janknitti Sat 02-Mar-13 10:38:02

Please help ! I never post on MN but this thread inspired me......

I'm 36 under and 43 over what size am I please?

I am 39wks & 2 days PG and wearing the same non flattering maternity bra since 20 weeks - thanks ladies !

Yes indeed mrskoala, she's falling for the old "anything above a d is huge" chat.

The strange thing is that a good bra actually makes your breasts look much neater. But I suspect she will want to avoid anything too cleavage-y, so something like a good balcony would be the way to go I suspect.

jan. try a 36F

MrsKoala Sat 02-Mar-13 10:46:35

Thanks SC - is 36e right as a starting point tho <if so i feel very proud of my new bra knowledge!>

MrsKoala Sat 02-Mar-13 10:48:48

oh and i can't find the excellent list of what makes a bra a good fit. is it on this thread or could you pm it to me? (if you can cut and paste of course - i don't expect you to re-type it)

Sure mrsKoala will paste it below, and there is also a new fitting guide on the blog which still needs some work

HOW TO RECOGNIZE A GOOD BRA

Testing the band and cup
To test the band size, put the bra on back to front on the loosest hooks. If you can breathe but if feels tight and you can only fit two fingers underneath the wire at the front, then that's the correct back size for you. If it's so tight it's unbearable then go up a size.

The cup will differ much more between brands and styles than the back. Put the bra round the correct way and pop the shoulder straps up, lean forward then take your right hand and put it inside your left cup. Reach right round under your armpit/towards your back and scoop all the backfat/escapage forward in to the cup of the bra. This may require vigour!

Repeat on the other side.

Then put the shoulder straps up and adjust as necessary (not too tight as it's the back that should be doing most of the supporting work). If after scooping you find that you have some bulging over the cup and four-boobage going on, this means you need to go up one or more cup sizes. Keep going up through the cup sizes until all your breast tissue is firmly in place. Once you have put your bra straps up you may well need to repeat the scooping described above but with the straps in place. Breast tissue goes surprisingly far round under the arms which most people don't realise so often their wires are actually sitting on breast tissue.

A good fitting bra…
If your bra is a good fit after doing this it should:

•Be worn on the loosest hook (when new). If you can fasten it on the tightest hook then try a back size lower.

•The band should be completely horizontal

•You should only be able to fit a couple of fingers under the front of the bra. If you can get more than that, or you can pull it more than an inch or so away from your body at the back, it is TOO BIG!

•If you raise your arms, the back should not really move - no riding up

•The wires should be entirely encasing your breast tissue - breast tissue goes surprisingly far back and a lot of people don't realise this. If you feel where the wire is sitting under your arm then it should be sitting on a fairly firm surface.

•The central gore (where the wires meet) should sit flat between your boobs. if it is being pushed away, then the cup is probably too small (and the back possibly too big as well)

•There should be absolutely no lumps over the top of the cup. Take a fitted t shirt with you to put over the top of the bra and stand side on to a mirror and watch as you breathe in. If you have a bit of a bulge only when you breathe in, you probably need to go up 1 cup. If it is visible when breathing out then it's probably more like two cups or more.

•The cup shouldn't gape. If it does, it may be too big or it may be the wrong shape of bra for you. Moulded cups are particularly bad for this as they don't adapt to your shape.

•The shoulder straps shouldn't be painful and digging in. Most of the support should come from the back. If you find that you can't get enough support without the straps being so short they hurt the bra isn't for you. Most likely it's too big in the back but it may also just be a bra that doesn't suit you.

•and on that note; not every brand works for every person. There are quite distinct differences in shape between brands which mean a particular brand may just not suit the shape of your breasts.

This thread is not accepting new messages.