to be furious with dh for eating cakes he knew were destined for the bin!

(1000 Posts)
alfrex Mon 21-Jan-13 14:57:29

OK. I bake a lot. And sometimes my cakes are beautiful, and we all enjoy them. But sometimes it does not go so well and the cakes come out sunk or burnt or still wet in the middle (if dh would get the fan fixed on the oven this would happen a lot less often, but that's another thread)

There is a system, dh and the children are well aware of it. If the cakes are good to eat, they either go in a freezer bag for later use, or in a sealed tin for use over the week, or on a plate on the side so that they can be eaten now. DH knows this and I never complain about him "sampling" even if th cakes are meant for after dinner or whatever. I bake a lot so there is usually something there if he fancies a nibble.

If the cakes are not up to scratch, they go in the bin as soon as they are cooled (or as soon as dh empties the bin - there's another thread there!)

so this morning dh saunters into the kitchen to get himself breakfast. I come in and find him cramming his mouth with the burnt, crappy cakes that were sitting in the bun tray by the bin. I was really pissed off and had a go at him for it. I can make really nice cakes and I make plenty of them, so he has no need to wind me up and embarrass me by eating the ones that have gone wrong. He know it is a pet hate of mine.

so he strops off to work having called me a "control freak" in front of our children who were sitting having their breakfast. I am Not Happy.

weegiemum Mon 21-Jan-13 15:17:53

Knowing the other things my dh is prepared to consume, slightly burnt cakes would be the least of my worries!

alistron1 Mon 21-Jan-13 15:17:59

I think if you bought cakes instead of baking them it would save a whole lot of angst.

gordyslovesheep Mon 21-Jan-13 15:18:02

wow ...just WOW hmm

dischordant Mon 21-Jan-13 15:18:12

Do you bake a lot, op? It's just that you haven't said....

charlottehere Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

aliasjoey Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:13

grin at 'passive- aggressive cake-eating'

threesocksmorgan Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:17

no birds??

dischordant Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:22

& may I suggest a little job of some sort?!

ie chill the chill out!

anothershittynickname Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:23

Oh dear :-/

Much unreasonableness going on here!

MikeFlowersPops Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HecateWhoopass Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:40

and - I fail to see why on earth, if the cakes Must Not Be Eaten by man or child or poor hungry little bird... - you don't just put a squirt of washing up liquid on them when they come out of the oven and are deemed Unsuitable.

Seems to me that would ensure they don't get eaten.

although it's still totally crackers.

BinkyWinky Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:44

Condemned?!

Your blood pressure must be through the roof.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:47

OP Your pissed off over a few burnt cakes, he obviously didnt care what they looked like, musta tasted nice, get over it.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:54

Of course there are birds where you are. Unless you live in a desert, or at the very apex of a pole, there are birds.

valiumredhead Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:57

LOL @ dh sneaking into the kitchen filling his mouth with condemned cakes grin grin

Numberlock Mon 21-Jan-13 15:19:59

passive-aggressive cake eating

Love it, Feisty. Only on MN, along with BLW 1st birthday party buffets.

CheerMum Mon 21-Jan-13 15:20:37

threesocksmorgan Mon 21-Jan-13 15:20:43

mn is very funny today lol

FreckledLeopard Mon 21-Jan-13 15:20:53

No birds? Where do you live? confused

HecateWhoopass Mon 21-Jan-13 15:21:02

you don't have any birds?

No birds in the sky where you live?

Ok. I'm out.

That's all the benefit of the doubt I can muster for today.

ILoveTIFFANY Mon 21-Jan-13 15:21:23

'sneaking'??? Into his own kitchen!?

I feel sorry for your DH

YABU

(Team DH)

You really need to unclench

degutastic Mon 21-Jan-13 15:21:41

Yanbu for wanting him to empty the bin, if that is part of the agreed division of labour in your household and he's not pulling his weight.

You are, however, being utterly mental about the cakes, and you seem to be failing to understand the point of "AIBU" - people are being "hostile" as you perceive it because, in this case, you are being unreasonable.

FreudianLisp Mon 21-Jan-13 15:21:41

You say the issue isn't about wasting food, but the issue SHOULD be about wasting food. YABU to think that wasting food doesn't matter.

Please, please relax, or I shall come round to your house and eat all your least successful cakes.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Mon 21-Jan-13 15:21:54

This thread is not accepting new messages.