to be furious with dh for eating cakes he knew were destined for the bin!

(1000 Posts)
alfrex Mon 21-Jan-13 14:57:29

OK. I bake a lot. And sometimes my cakes are beautiful, and we all enjoy them. But sometimes it does not go so well and the cakes come out sunk or burnt or still wet in the middle (if dh would get the fan fixed on the oven this would happen a lot less often, but that's another thread)

There is a system, dh and the children are well aware of it. If the cakes are good to eat, they either go in a freezer bag for later use, or in a sealed tin for use over the week, or on a plate on the side so that they can be eaten now. DH knows this and I never complain about him "sampling" even if th cakes are meant for after dinner or whatever. I bake a lot so there is usually something there if he fancies a nibble.

If the cakes are not up to scratch, they go in the bin as soon as they are cooled (or as soon as dh empties the bin - there's another thread there!)

so this morning dh saunters into the kitchen to get himself breakfast. I come in and find him cramming his mouth with the burnt, crappy cakes that were sitting in the bun tray by the bin. I was really pissed off and had a go at him for it. I can make really nice cakes and I make plenty of them, so he has no need to wind me up and embarrass me by eating the ones that have gone wrong. He know it is a pet hate of mine.

so he strops off to work having called me a "control freak" in front of our children who were sitting having their breakfast. I am Not Happy.

Lesbeadiva Mon 21-Jan-13 14:58:45

hmm

OddBoots Mon 21-Jan-13 14:59:04

Is this a reverse AIBU?

Convert Mon 21-Jan-13 14:59:10

Wow. I think you need to unclench. A lot.

ILoveTIFFANY Mon 21-Jan-13 14:59:25

Eh? It's cake!

Why can't you empty the bin yourself and fix the fan oven?

Beamur Mon 21-Jan-13 14:59:45

Seriously?
YABU.
Your DH is right!

Dahlen Mon 21-Jan-13 14:59:52

Is this a joke?

FaffTastic Mon 21-Jan-13 15:00:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BinkyWinky Mon 21-Jan-13 15:00:19

Eh? Relax for god's sake.

Jins Mon 21-Jan-13 15:00:23

I think if he's happy to eat burnt cakes then you should be happy to let him.

How on earth is it embarrassing?

Numberlock Mon 21-Jan-13 15:00:43

Well he's right really isn't he and why can't you get the fan oven fixed (and empty the bin)?

Why can't u use the cakes for trifle or something? It's a waste to not let anyone eat them!

MimmeeBack Mon 21-Jan-13 15:01:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Forgetfulmog Mon 21-Jan-13 15:01:28

Why waste food like that?! A cake is still good to eat even if burnt!blush

valiumredhead Mon 21-Jan-13 15:01:49

He's an adult he can chose to eat whatever he likes.

My BIL loved a really crappy coffee cake I made.

I can't get over just chucking a cake out tbh - wouldn't you make it into trifle/feed the birds the crumbs or something?

TanteRose Mon 21-Jan-13 15:01:56

He embarrassed you by eating non-perfect cake?

Gosh

StuffezLaBouche Mon 21-Jan-13 15:01:59

Dear God.
Any reason you dont get the fan oven fixed yourself?

shrimponastick Mon 21-Jan-13 15:02:08

Good - If he fills up on the burnt cakes then he won't want so many of the nice ones you are baking later. More for you.

I am abit confused though.

Ummmm. Is this a joke or a thread about a thread or some MN royalty in-joke that us mere mortals don't understand?

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Mon 21-Jan-13 15:02:37

Bit wasteful.

Do birds eat cake? Maybe feed them to the birds?

Pandemoniaa Mon 21-Jan-13 15:02:43

Talk about first world problems!

How is it ever reasonable to throw food away when someone is prepared to eat it?

Instead of throwing a silly, precious strop, count yourself fortunate that the cake gets eaten at all.

YA definitely BU and ridiculous too.

JuliesSistersCousinsAuntsCat Mon 21-Jan-13 15:02:44

It does sound like you over reacted.

Could you not fix the fan oven?

alfrex Mon 21-Jan-13 15:02:49

It embarrasses me Jins because they are not the best I can do so to me he is insulting me by eating them when I have asked him not to!

Why should I empty the bin and fix the oven? They are his jobs confused

I do not eed to unclench thanks, but ok maybe I should just let him eat out of the bin.

PilchardsonToast Mon 21-Jan-13 15:03:21

why would you be embarrassed by him eating a cake that he chose to eat?

He knew it wouldn't be perfect but as you're a good cook he thought it would still be fairly yummy so he ate it... Not a problem, maybe even a compliment that even your crap cakes are worth eating....mine really aren't!

Better to let him eat them than waste the ingredients go to waste surely?

I think he has a point tbh, why the need to be so controlling?

And why can't you empty the bin yourself? Or call a repairman/ fix the oven yourself?

This thread is not accepting new messages.