Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

There should be a special bloody till in Sainsburys for Panic Buyers

(226 Posts)

I get it, it's going to snow.

There will probably be a bit of snow for a few days round here.

I spent the best part of an hour queuing in Sainsburys seething quietly and politely waiting my turn to pay to do my normal weekly shop.

FFS it's some slightly bad seasonal weather, NO ONE can eat THAT many tins of muligtawny soup.

They should have their own queue then they can all stand together with thier blitz like behaviour and their preparedness and not get in my friffing way when I have other things to do like come here to whine about them

atthewelles you're clutching at straws... No one needs to buy that much food for 3 days.

Again, I'm not saying don't panic buy, just asking AIBU to suggest to Sainsburys that they have a dedicated till - they could run a very successful advertising campaign a'la their Christmas Days effort.

If it's still ike this next week I'm going in full survivalist gear, combats/nightvision googles/OFRS the lot.

Goldmandra Thu 17-Jan-13 14:52:43

I thought it was a bit busier than usual in the local Asda this morning. For local read 10 miles away.

I never thought to panic buy. I only bought one loaf of bread, although we do have a packet of bread mix in the cupboard.

I did buy gherkins, milk, Fruit and Nut and a bag of Basmati rice big enough to have it's own carry-handle. Oh and Robinsons Lemon Squash.

Do you think that will get us through the famine?

Oops. Just remembered DH needed coffee! That will go down well shock

Why would you panic buy for a couple of days of snow? I thought most people had freezers these days.

So, chocolate and gherkin rice anyone?

GetOrf Thu 17-Jan-13 14:53:15

Amber warning here too.

And I seriously have got nothing in as we haven't done any shopping really since Christmas, just bits and bobs. DD was syaing earlier that the cupboards are looking shocking and I need to go shopping. But the shops will be filled with anxious looking faffers.

atthewelles Thu 17-Jan-13 14:54:15

Clutching at straws?? On an AIBU thread? Never.

GetOrf Thu 17-Jan-13 14:54:18

I thin atthewelles was joking grin

smile of course I stockpiled the wine.

I use a shopping list of weekly essentials it starts with

'whatever wine is on the best offer'

grin grin

umm I apparentl don't spend enough time here for my own particular brand of humour to be recognised either....

Not sure I can exactly envisage sainsburys taking this up...

MrsBungleBear Thu 17-Jan-13 14:57:35

When I was at Morrisons the petrol station had queues out onto the road so they are stock piling petrol here too (Nottingham). But if they think they will be snowed in - why do they need petrol?

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 17-Jan-13 14:58:53

I went to Waitrose this morning just because I needed milk and eggs.

Queuing in the express lane queue, an old lady peers at my goods and says "I'd go and get some bread if I were you"

I just shrugged and said "I'm a coeliac"

She turned her back on me then.

I am not a coeliac.

Same here MrsB - I just don't get where we started this odd mentality about stocking up.

Vagaceratops Thu 17-Jan-13 15:01:49

Tesco was an absolute nightmare this morning too. DD wanted soup but the soup aisle had been totally blitzed.

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 17-Jan-13 15:04:24

It is usually older people who panic buy because they like to feel involved in a bit of "drama". They can then dither about it with other like-minded folk in the queue.

It's quite sweet, really.

Shit MrsBungleBear I am planning a trip to Morrisson's to get fuel before I pick DD up from Athletics as I am running on fresh air and it is one of the few places I can use the Business Fuel Card. I have timed myself down to the last second so if there is a queue I will be stuffed cross.

I am 53 - can I dither?

SoniaGluck Thu 17-Jan-13 15:05:45

Apparently our local Asda was absolutely heaving this lunchtime; DH stopped off to buy a few bits that we can only get there. He struggled to find anywhere to park and had to queue for "fucking ages" to get through the check out.

Unusually, for the middle of the day during the week, all the checkouts were open. He said it was worse than the weekend before Christmas which is usually horrible.

Saltire Thu 17-Jan-13 15:07:01

I remember years ago I lived in a small town and I worked in the local mini mart type place. At the time there were 4 bakers, 3 grocers and our shop all on the street. We actually got cut off for 3 days. people were running in "do you have bread" and if we said "yes" they would run to the door and shout "they have bread", and hundreds lots of people would run and try and grab them all.
The boos actually started banning people saying "you don't shop here the rest of the year, don't start now"

ivykaty44 Thu 17-Jan-13 15:07:25

People don't panic buy with regarding their own distance from the supermarket - they panic buy because they think the food lorries will not bring in supplies in the snow grin and also they think that everyone else is panicing and there will not be any food left if they don't panic buy as well

PostBellumBugsy Thu 17-Jan-13 15:09:49

Loving the thought of someone tucked into their house with 20 cans of muligatawny soup! No matter what happens, muligatawny soup promises survival!!!!

I had a Tesco delivery last night & I did amend my order and added 3 bags of dishwasher salt (it is fantastic for gritting our path without everyone's feet getting sandy & orange from proper grit & making a mess when they come in the house!)

They can panic buy, I'm not anti the panic buying, not one bit.

I'm anti them not being serviced properly with dedicated tills.

mademred Thu 17-Jan-13 15:12:04

Maybe everyone should buy a 4x4 this weekend then getting to the shops would be easier

Tongue in cheek before I get a lambasting about the planet.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Thu 17-Jan-13 15:12:30

Ah, I thought our local Sainsbo's was oddly busy this morning.

Thinking about it, it was mostly elderly folk, which also explains why self-check was free for me to breeze through grin

I completely neglected to panic buy anything though. I feel left out.
And now I'm worried about our loo roll stocks. Damn you, MN!

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 17-Jan-13 15:16:07

You can only dither at bus pass age.

I think you can get dithering dispensation for certain hormone related conditions. In my case it's the condition of being a woman.

I have a badge for it..

ivykaty44 Thu 17-Jan-13 15:18:34

People don't panic buy with regarding their own distance from the supermarket - they panic buy because they think the food lorries will not bring in supplies in the snow grin and also they think that everyone else is panicing and there will not be any food left if they don't panic buy as well

atthewelles Thu 17-Jan-13 15:20:10

Its the spirit of the blitz. Any fancy joining me in a chorus of 'We'll meet again' ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now