About my newborn's name?

(183 Posts)

Having a hormonal morning. Finally decided on our baby's name after much deliberation yesterday and told a few friends who all said it was lovely.

My mother calls this morning and I tell her we have decided on Oliver James L.M (surname) to which she replied 'OH NO!!' Like I've told her I'm calling him Crap Bag or something hmm this really upset me as I feel like I could never call him this now as I know she hates it.

So now DP has declared he doesn't like Oliver either and was 'going along with it for me' sad I really thought we both liked it as he has always expressed this.

Now I feel so confused, I really liked it and think it really suits him but now it's completely tainted and DP is looking up names like Ivander and Cassius confused. I guess I'm upset because the baby has his surname and now he's going to choose the first name when I'm the one who carried him and pushed him out and will no doubt be doing the majority of caring as I'm ebf and he's back to ft work next week,

Sorry just needed to rant, feel so upset.

Horsemad Sun 06-Jan-13 11:13:04

Hell would freeze over before I'd let anybody try and sway my choice on MY baby's name!

Apart from DH of course! smile

ceebie Sun 06-Jan-13 14:47:02

OP please please please tell all members of your family to stop making suggestions and offering opinions on names. Please make it crystal clear that the baby-naming process is going to be undertaken just between you and DP and no-one, seriously no-one, else.

ComposHat Sun 06-Jan-13 15:01:31

Your mum can go boil her head frankly.

But I would work on getting a name that both you and your partner like though. Maybe he should have spoken up earlier, but as his father he should have an equal say in his name.

We have a seven week old son called Cassius and have had nothing but positive comments so far. We are definitely not middle class and chose the name because it was the only one DP and I both loved.

There is nothing wrong with Oliver James, Hugo or any of the other names you mentioned. Just decide on a name and stick to it. It's nobody else's business. Like you said, they have already had their chance at naming their own children. It's not their place to name yours as well.

squoosh Sun 06-Jan-13 18:34:17

It really needs to be a name you both agree on. The 'both' being you and your husband, your Mum had her own baby naming chances!

Personally I prefer Cassius to Oliver, but that's neither here nor there.

Heavywheezing Sun 06-Jan-13 18:58:38

Oliver James is a lovely name. Keep his name.

My cousin called her baby Felix,which apparently her mum and dad hated. What's rude is that they let her know.
It's difficult when you know somebody doesn't like the name. Stuff them. They will come round, they will and say how much it suits him in the months to come.
Op, I thought you would have called him Noel!

Amber, I love the name Ivor, it was my great grandfather's name, I wish I had called ds2 Ivor. Of course we are welsh so it's said I vor rather than iver.

ceebie Fri 11-Jan-13 20:01:51

Have you settled on a name hun or still deciding? Just curious to know how you got on! You've still got weeks to decide, obviously.

PhallicGiraffe Fri 11-Jan-13 21:18:08

YABU to name your kid after Jamie Oliver. He is a tosser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now