Would you have eaten this dinner?

(171 Posts)
SurroundedByBlue Sat 05-Jan-13 11:08:32

Thursday P comes home with ingredients to cook dinner, including mince to make meatballs. He leaves it on the side in the kitchen and we forgot about it and ended up having chippy tea.

I didn't realise he hadn't put the mince in the fridge so it stayed there until the middle of the next morning when I noticed it and put it in the fridge.

5pm last night he decides to make his meatballs. Rolls them into balls and leaves them on ghe side for 4 hours whilst he went out for a drink. Cooks them about 9pm and serves them. Cutting into one it was very pink in the middle and I asked him if he thought they were cooked. He says yes, definitely cooked. Not wanting to offend him I say I prefer mine well done (as I was sure they weren't cooked properly but didn't want to labour the point) and pop them back on the griddle for a bit. He puts his back on to cook more and then reserves. I still didn't think they were cooked so pushed them around my plate and ate around them. He ate all his, and mine.

I was probably being a bit fussy but didn't want to risk it at 36 weeks pregnant.

He was up all night with diarreah and is in bed with a stomach ache today. I suggested that maybe the meatballs weren't cooked after all, or had gone off from being out off the fridge. He was unimpressed and took offended saying that I was critical and should have eaten them etc.

Led to a stupid argument about how I'm ungrateful that he'd cooked etc with me pointing out how much I actually do at home (the usual type argument people have, it will be forgotten about in no time) We are both over tired, him after being up with his stomach and me after being up alot with our young child.

But, I still don't think that the meat was ediable.

Would you have eaten them?

SurroundedByBlue Sat 05-Jan-13 11:22:31

I shouldn't have mentioned that it might be the meatballs that had made him ill but was a tad fed up of his "I'm soooo poorly, give me sympathy" routine when I was tired and grumpy blush

Heating clicks on and off during the night, its hot air heating so gets hot very quickly then cools down quickly too.

Not sure what mince it was, just bog standard Aldi mince. After being out all night and morning before finally getting into the fridge, he then left it out again for 4 hours on the side once he had rolled it into balls.

He's not a big fan of using the fridge and seems to have an iron stomach (he will make a big pot of chicken curry on a Saturday, leave it in the pan all week on the stove so he can quickly fill his lunchbox with it for work etc) He does do his fair share of cooking but has to be heaped with praise for it and be told how lovely it is even if its not. Gets offended if I or the children don't like or eat it. He does make a bloody good stew though.

ethelb Sat 05-Jan-13 11:22:40

No.

And I htink it is unfair to do all this ye olden times stuff at the OP. They had colder houses and the meat would have been fresher (and drier due to hanging properly) so that is balls.

I find it riduculous that pregnant women are expected to avoid things for which there is very little substasive evidence that it will do any harm but expeted to be laisez faire with normal food prep hygeine, for which there is a lot of evidence that it could do anyone, especailly a pregnant woman, harm.

JamesBexleySpeed Sat 05-Jan-13 11:23:05

No way. I too would have thrown it away in the morning if it had been out of the fridge all night.
I wouldn't have eaten them if they were pink in the middle either, even if they had been properly refrigerated.
Both can be very very dangerous.

Feelingood Sat 05-Jan-13 11:23:42

Of course not, even if not pregnant. Whether they were undercooked I still wouldn't eat them or if mince left out.

I think you were being terribly diplomatic, frais I wouldnt be.

My DH hates being told in whatever way he has done something wrong no matter how small, it a pride perfection thing. I still tell him for. Last things especially of its to do with 10 month old dd or ds(7)

bigkidsdidit Sat 05-Jan-13 11:27:26

No

EuroShagmore Sat 05-Jan-13 11:28:27

No way would I have eaten it. Mince is one of the things you have to be careful with.

Fish that's not true about bugs vs food poisoning.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 05-Jan-13 11:31:57

YWNBU

I thought you were going to say it had been left out for an hour or something.

peaceandlovebunny Sat 05-Jan-13 11:34:58

don't put meat that has been out overnight anywhere except the bin.

bedmonster Sat 05-Jan-13 11:38:39

Yes, we eat stuff that has been left out lots, including rice. Nothing wrong with any of us.
But YWNBU to not want to if you are more delicate.
Pink is my preference when it comes to red meat anyway.

Stokes Sat 05-Jan-13 11:39:08

No way would I have eaten it after it had sat out so long - I had food poisoning once from dodgy meat that lasted 5 weeks. Despite the stone and a half I lost, it's not an experience I'm keen to relive!

COCKadoodledooo Sat 05-Jan-13 11:41:20

Yes. But I have been known to eat raw mince out of the packet too. And the only time I have had food poisoning it has been from farking salad.

MamaGeekChic Sat 05-Jan-13 11:42:39

YANBU! I'm quite laid back normally, will make soup/bolognese/stew/chilli and leave it sitting on the hob (in a cool kitchen) for a day or 2 after cooking and eat happily as long as it's reheated thoroughly but I would have binned that mince after realising it had been out all night.

hoodoo12345 Sat 05-Jan-13 11:45:29

YANBU, i would of thrown it out if it had sat on the side all night, its not worth the risk, especially as you are pregnant.

Grapesoda Sat 05-Jan-13 11:46:03

Pregnant Women shouldn't eat rare meat due to the risk of toxoplasmosis and no oneshould eat meat that has been so long without refrigeration due to risks posed by bacterial growth.
His upset tummy is most likely due to the meatballs.
Might be tricky to be precise without a postmortem though [tongue in cheek emicon]

Grapesoda Sat 05-Jan-13 11:47:03

Sory, should add that he might be best kept out of the kitchen in future bless him.

simplesusan Sat 05-Jan-13 11:49:15

No I wouldn't have eaten it.
Does your other half generally have poor food hygeine standards?
Sorry don't mean to sound harsh but leaving the prepared food out at room temperature for 4 hours is not good practice.
Bacteria mulitplies very fast. I was taught that nothing should be left out for 1 hour or more. Obviously food such as fruit and veg are safe but dairy products, meat etc should be prepared and then eaten or frozen/refridgerated asap.

Findingmyself Sat 05-Jan-13 11:49:44

No way would I have eaten it! No way!

simplesusan Sat 05-Jan-13 11:50:54

Oh and just because some people can stomach anything does not mean that it isn't crawling with bacteria.
Some people live in homes covered in dog shit, they survive but it is hardly hygeinic.

trikken Sat 05-Jan-13 11:52:22

no not if left out though.

RubyGates Sat 05-Jan-13 11:52:31

No, I'm usually not keen to throw food out, and have exceeded the guidelines, but this would have gone straight out for the crow family. They's have been overjoyed at such bounty.

JustAHolyFool Sat 05-Jan-13 11:55:50

I'm not one who is fussy about meat and sell by dates and stuff, but no, I wouldn't have eaten that.

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 05-Jan-13 11:56:25

he might be best kept out of the kitchen in future bless him

What? No WAY! Assuming that he's a grown man, he could just - use his brain perhaps? Plenty of men (bless them!) are actually quite capable.

I wouldn't have eaten it and any pregnant woman shouldn't.

He needs toget his head around safe food storage and hygeine, if he is to cook for your soon to be young child.

How will he be around bootle hygeine if he thinks he does others a favour by preparing food?

There are still born babies and miscarriages because of food poisoning (and baby deaths), why he would think it is acceptable to deliberately put your baby at risk, only he can answer.

"bottle" not bootle!

SurroundedByBlue Sat 05-Jan-13 12:04:32

He is pretty lax about food hygiene in general - I'm not overly hot on it either but wouldn't roll raw meat around on the work surface and then make a sandwich on the same surface without cleaning it first (we were shown a video in food tech at school of chicken bacteria spreading everywhere etc and its stayed with me) I put things in the fridge, keep things covered etc - he never does. He will cook a huge pan of rice and leave it on the hob, tucking into it over the next few days whereas I won't reheat rice cause I read not to on here

As much as I'd like to, I can't ban him from cooking. He thinks its his thing and likes to boast about it. I hate washing up after he has cooked, he makes such a mess.

Still no movement from upstairs, he must be asleep. I am exceptionally grumpy and uncomfortable today so probably to best place for him to be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now