to give this to dd for Christmas?

(155 Posts)
We3bunniesOfOrientAre Sun 09-Dec-12 11:33:02

I had bought something for the kitchen, the company sent the wrong item, I was going to send it back (all agreed with company). Now I have discovered that someone has taken it out of it's packet, I don't think I can return it now. The place that I put it is one where I think it unlikely that anyone other than dd1 did it - she is nearly 8 but prone to fiddling with things which aren't hers. Ds couldn't get it and dd2 wouldn't be likely to do it, it is also right by where she sits. It costs about 5 pounds. It will not be her only present, but is it unreasonable to tell her that as it is because she opened it, it will now become hers and she might have less other things as a result?

StuntGirl Wed 12-Dec-12 07:35:59

What a total over reaction...from other posters!

I agree giving it to her on Christmas Day isn't a good idea, punishments need to be given close to the time of the incident. Even an 8 year old will struggle to compute this incident and a random Christmas present 2 weeks later.

If the company doesn't take it back and if she admits it was her I would however make her pay for the item, either by docking pocket money or getting her to do extra chores. And it would go alongside a(nother) talk about respecting other people's property. And perhaps looking into something to distract her attention from constant fiddling.

But it's hardly fucking abusive to want your children not to touch things that aren't theirs hmm

Floggingmolly Wed 12-Dec-12 09:11:47

No, Stuntgirl, but it's fairly mean minded to consider wrapping the broken item in fancy wrapping paper, and letting the child unwrap her 'present' on Christmas morning.

Rollmops Wed 12-Dec-12 09:51:28

OP you are truly over reacting. Get a grip and stop being so mean.

Floralnomad Wed 12-Dec-12 10:18:37

Stuntgirl I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't deal with the touching stuff that isn't hers issue ,its the way it's being dealt with and the way that the OP is behaving towards the child when there is actually no proof she touched it.

Op can I just add, my cousin was raised in a home where "it wasn't something dd2 would do" dd2 actually did loads and she took the blame.

She would then act grumpy because she was the family scapegoat.

She grew up hating her younger two siblings and they have no relationship.

My dd fiddles, she has been spoken to, she's done iagain and broke a necklace.

I was cross and spoke to her but I wouldn't dream of wrapping it up on Christmas day and making her feel guilty for something that happened 3 weeks before!

That's ott and awful.

How would you feel if you made her feel upset on Christmas day and she had not done it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now