To feel sorry for the Australian DJs?

(922 Posts)
andapartridgeinaRowantree Sat 08-Dec-12 00:38:49

Obviously more sorry for the nurse's family. I wonder how long she was having suicidal thoughts for? I can't think this could have been the only cause,

But these pranks have been going on for such a long time and those DJs could not have predicted such a result and are going to have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

It's such a tragedy and I feel very sad for all concerned.

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 01:14:30

She is still dead Worra, even if this was just 'the straw', there didn't need to be a straw did there?

Of course there didn't need to be a straw.

But equally the DJ's could never have known that their stupid, childish prank would lead to the person who took the call, killing themself.

No-one in the world would ever prank anyone if they ever thought that would happen.

VestaCurry Sat 08-Dec-12 01:14:50

No don't feel sorry for them, they will get over it, poor lambs.

Actually after reading the following I have no idea why the station is even on air.

The station and its DJs have attracted frequent criticism in recent years following a series of high-profile controversies. Although the call purporting to be from the Queen and Prince Charles was made by Greig and Christian, in August 2009, Kyle Sandilands, a shock jock on 2Day FM, sparked a huge public backlash following a lie-detector stunt in which a 14-year-old girl revealed she had been raped.

Sandilands was subsequently dropped as a judge on Australian Idol and criticised by the then prime minister, Kevin Rudd, for his role in the episode.

The DJ also provoked fury in November last year, after he launched a verbal attack on a female journalist, Alison Stephenson, who had reported on the low ratings of a TV show he and O'Neil presented.

"Some fat slag on news.com.au has already branded it a disaster," he said. "You can tell by reading the article that she just hates us and has always hated us. What a fat, bitter thing you are. You're deputy editor of an online thing. You've got a nothing job anyway. You're a piece of shit. This low thing, Alison Stephenson, deputy editor of news.com.au online. You're supposed to be impartial, you little troll."

He added: "You're a bullshit artist, girl. You should be fired from your job. Your hair's very '90s. And your blouse. You haven't got that much titty to be having that low cut a blouse. Watch your mouth or I'll hunt you down."

His remarks led sponsors including the car company Holden to withdraw their sponsorship of the show.

In April this year, Sandilands was also criticised for referring to a Pakistani girl born with additional limbs as "spider baby" and implying her disability would give her an advantage in the Olympic games.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sat 08-Dec-12 01:16:38

Agent I definitely think that listeners have some culpability in this too.

Wheresmypopcorn Sat 08-Dec-12 01:17:19

I think they could have handled it differently. but no, I don't want more tragedy out of this. they will have to live with it the rest of their lives.

Morloth Sat 08-Dec-12 01:17:49

AgentZigzag 'They're going to reflect on this with regret until the day they die themselves.' Good, they should do - perhaps they will grow the fuck up and realise that hurting people isn't fun and can cause all sorts of shit to happen.

Yes, their listeners deserve some of the responsibility.

I used to listen to 2Day FM a good 10 years ago, it was a great 'young' fun station. On my return to Sydney in 2010 I of course went straight back to my usual station in the car.

I lasted about a week before I realised just how bad it had gotten.

Anyone who listened and laughed needs to have a good hard look at themselves. What kind of people are they?

This wasn't a prank on the Royals it was a prank on a Nurse.

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Sat 08-Dec-12 01:18:01

I don't feel sorry for them at all.
It's like saying 'Oh I feel sorry for the Sun after they got rapped for tapping Millie Dowler's phone''
It's just nasty exploitative journalism, they didn't dupe a 'Royal', they duped a nurse who, whatever her mental being, reached the last straw and killed herself.
I hope that remains in their minds forever.

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Dec-12 01:19:40

My sympathy is limited too Raven, it's more on a human level rather than a personal level for them.

In the same way I'd feel sorry for a murderer who'd had an abusive childhood IYSWIM?

Morloth Sat 08-Dec-12 01:19:47

And Sandilands is still in their employ, he is still on the fucking air.

misterwife Sat 08-Dec-12 01:19:54

I actually do.

As people have said already, the nurse was subject to huge public criticism over the prank, and then killed herself.

If these two DJs kill themselves now because of the public shame they've suffered, who will be to blame? Themselves?

Or the same huge public who hugely publicly criticised the nurse who killed herself?

Or is the whole issue of apportioning blame in situations like these a completely bloody ridiculous one?

If you answered C, congratulations! You score 100 points. I'm fairly sure the vast majority of people commenting on this will never have had to deal with the immediate aftermath of someone they've recently interacted with committing suicide. Let me assure you all that it isn't brilliant.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sat 08-Dec-12 01:21:50

The reason I'm particularly angered by this is I suspect they won't really be upset or haunted by this at all.

Oh, they'll realise some self-pitying statement expressing regret and shock and blah blah blah, but inside I'm suspect they are the kind of self-centred bastards who will be chiefly worried about the effect this will have on their own careers, and secondarily pissed off that nobody finds their deliberate cruelty "funny" any more.

I think everybody concerned about their well being is giving them too much credit. If they were concerned about their victims they wouldn't have exposed them to international ridicule.

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Dec-12 01:25:05

They were testing the borders of what makes something funny, which is what should happen.

But they seem to have lost sight of their humanity when they were touting for world wide media exposure/huge ratings.

I'm only thinking out loud Morloth, so not slagging the Aussies or anything, but do you think the 'jokey' relationship we have together as countries (which sometimes is played as a joke but actually deadly serious (as I've found with some of my Welsh rellies)), and the republican/royalist camps, may have made this seem more acceptable to the radio station and what they thought their listeners would like? (bit of a long question, sorry grin)

ViperInTheManger Sat 08-Dec-12 01:26:06

I don't think that, unless you work in healthcare, you have much appreciation of the damage a breach of confidentiality can do. This poor woman will have felt guilty for the sake of her patients, humiliated and terrified for her future.

I cannot see any excuse at all for the network and DJs bragging about this stupid prank even after her death. Shame on them.

misterwife Sat 08-Dec-12 01:29:36

Holy cow, I've just read Whistlingwaves' post. That made me feel sick. And that guy is still on air how??!

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Dec-12 01:29:49

People want to try and make sense of what's happened though Holdme.

Not just because they want to get their head round something which resonates with them personally, but so official procedures can be put in place so shit like this doesn't happen again.

If you can pinpoint who is responsible, you can hold them accountable and punish them accordingly.

Which is the whole premise of the criminal justice system isn't it?

kennyp Sat 08-Dec-12 01:30:41

i think it's an absolute tragedy. but how would anyone turn down/refuse to put through a phone call from someone who sounds exactly like the queen??

just horrendously awful. i had to ring a celebs son once on orders from my boss. hospital said they would not release details. i said i didn't care - it was my bosses friends son, nothing to do with me. which was fine by me. but how would someone deal with a phone call from the queen?? where would you draw the line. awful.

Morloth Sat 08-Dec-12 01:30:51

As an Australian I don't mind a good poke at the Royals - they have power, they can take it and the whole 'Royal' thing is IMO ridiculous.

But just a tiny moment's thought would have made them realise that the Royals were never going to be the ones who wore any shit for this.

Misterwife, I do have suicide experience sadly. I do not want the DJs to kill themselves.

I do think THEY should publically apologise not hide behind statements from others.

Worra
I know several people with depression and no suicidal intentions for who the thought of losing their jobs, not being able to feed their kids, find work again and be publically humiliated and berated would be final straw.

Hell im not sure how i would have dealt with it either. The thought i might lose my job and not be able to work in same field as i had trained, not provide for dd..

The fact is we have no idea what that woman had been through recently.

But they DID know playing that tape could affect peoples jobs.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sat 08-Dec-12 01:33:59

See, if you want to push the boundaries of humour, you should do it with yourself and other consenting comedians. Not some poor woman on the other side of the world trying to do her job without the slightest suspicion she's about to become a YouTube hit.

misterwife Sat 08-Dec-12 01:36:33

The reason sites remained up for a fair while after news of her death became public was because of the time difference - it broke in mid-afternoon, which is the middle of the night over there. Sure, the news/TV/radio industry is a 24/7 operation, but I don't think everyone connected with this farrago would have been aware of it soon enough to act promptly. At least some people would have been asleep.

This explanation will be unsatisfactory to a lot of people, but I really don't think those sites remained up out of some kind of desire to add insult to injury.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sat 08-Dec-12 01:38:58

I don't think that assigning blame - 80% to the station, 15.3% to the hospital 2.6% to the listeners - is possible or even helpful.

What I would love to see happen is growing recognition that publicly humiliating people in the age of the Internet is not funny, but cruel, nasty, and bullying. I would like to see people/audiences turned off by it and stations and networks consider it beyond the pale.

I cannot believe the station is still employing this Sandliands man. The station have a lot to answer for.

Totally agree, the Royals were not the butt of this 'joke'. The nursing staff were.

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Dec-12 01:42:36

I totally agree HoldMe, they got it very, very wrong.

I was thinking about why fonejacker is funny, and it's because the joke is completely on the character and not the person on the other end.

People who think it's funny to have a joke at other peoples expense, to humiliate and degrade them in front of other people, are cunts for not knowing it's wrong.

But factor in the type of radio station it was hungry for ratings, what some people in Aus think is OK (and in this country too), the queen and the biggest story on the day she went into hospital, and it's pretty explosive.

Morloth Sat 08-Dec-12 01:43:37

It wasn't even a Live call. There was still time after it had happened for someone with an ounce of common sense to have said 'actually, we could get this woman into a lot of trouble, lets not'.

theplodder Sat 08-Dec-12 01:43:42

I think this whols story stinks.

You can get the hospital switchboard number from their website. It is a fairly small private hospital, no A&E department, just surgical and diagnostic. A switchboard is only manned by receptionists in the daytime. The call came in at 5.30am UK time and the nurses answer the switchboard on the much quieter night shift.....Jacinda answered the main switchboard and transferred the call to the duty nurse.
What I don't understand is that Jacinda had worked there for 4 years and the royals are regulars. Why why why would she think that Brenda would call at 5.30am? I daresay the daytime receptionists know that Brenda would get her private secretary to call hospitals to enquire about family.

According to reports Jacinda was proud to work at a hospital that looked after the The Family, I can only deduce that in the heat of the moment she got a bit awestruck and agreed to transfer the call thinking it really was the queen.

But WHY top herself? We are told that she was being supported by the hospital for her "mistake" so how can someone be that distraught to kill themselves, she didn't reveal any confidential information at all, just transferred the call.

There has to be something more to this story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now