Prefer to be beautiful to having brains?

(265 Posts)
charlmarascoxo Sat 24-Nov-12 19:31:44

I was asked - would you rather be beautiful and have below average intelligence or would be rather be clever and be dull looking/plain jane.

I went with beauty.

It seems to me that in society having beauty is quite highly valued and life is perhaps easier because you are more accepted. Most people however chose brains over beauty. So perhaps I am in the minority?

LaQueen Tue 27-Nov-12 10:01:10

I agree with Harpy I think intelligence is a huge aphrodisiac.

When I met DH I dismissed him slightly as probably being a bit shallow, because he was very good-looking (he was the image of a young Matt Le Blanc) and a little bit full of himself...he went up hugely in my estimation when he told me he was studying a hard science at a RG university grin

Corygal Tue 27-Nov-12 09:25:30

Brains, because beauty does not bring you romantic happiness. The biggest group of women divorcees are size 10, believe it or not. Isn't that sad?

But mainly because no one is that ugly. Scrubbing up can change you dramatically - and highlights are a lot quicker and cheaper than an MA.

Latara Tue 27-Nov-12 09:11:43

It's true to say that personality counts for a lot; because generally a person's characteristics show in their face i think.

I knew 2 pretty women who were bitchy & looked it; somehow it made them less pretty.
(But lots more people - pretty or not - aren't so bitchy luckily).

Eliza22 Tue 27-Nov-12 09:03:32

Brains for sure. But then, I'm not blessed with brains or beauty.

TheShriekingHarpy Tue 27-Nov-12 00:15:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kewcumber Mon 26-Nov-12 23:41:23

how do you know I'm not a genius [pouty emoticon]

No one has said that being merely bright means being tortured and socially inept.

People were talking about extremes of beauty and extremes of intelligence and how they can be hindrances rather than beneficial.

blueshoes Mon 26-Nov-12 22:34:18

Kew, you are clever but probably not a genius grin. Agree about the stereotypes.

Kewcumber Mon 26-Nov-12 22:21:42

"but being bright means being tortured by the complexity of life and being socially inept"

not necessarily - thats personality not intelligence. I'm not really a tortured should and certainly not socially inept - in fact I did very well in a "brains" profession in the media industry because I could talk to people (just like a real human being!)

I think there are a lot of stereotypes being trotted out on this thread.

YerMaw1989 Mon 26-Nov-12 21:33:52

Logically I know I should say brains , but attractive people have easier lives in general so beauty.

Latara Mon 26-Nov-12 21:27:16

My sister is very pretty but always gets lots of hassle from men; not pleasant really. She's popular with both men & women though luckily; & she's intelligent at maths, accounting etc. which is a good thing.
So she has both. I'm proud of her achievements in her career. smile

AmberSocks Mon 26-Nov-12 21:26:59

Plus you do get people who are good looking and intelligent....its not one or the other!

AmberSocks Mon 26-Nov-12 21:25:02

Most men ime seem confident,they just dont seem to worry about things like that the way women do.

thats probably why men are in charge of the world and we are not!

Latara Mon 26-Nov-12 21:24:31

I'm not sure why some people are more confident or successful than others; but looks & brains don't seem to have much influence in either thing.

I'm not sure why some people call me 'sweet' or similar because i'm really not; i just look younger than i am. It's patronising IMO.

Latara Mon 26-Nov-12 21:22:00

I don't think good-looking men are always that confident IME; not sure why.

Latara Mon 26-Nov-12 21:21:00

I get called 'sweet' a lot. Yuck. I would rather be beautiful or brainy or both.

IfNotNowThenWhen Mon 26-Nov-12 21:19:05

I went out with a guy like that for a couple of years LaQueen-not that he was a git, just really good looking.
I broke his heart by running off with a much less good looking man.
Paying for it now though with my loooong dry spell (otherwise known as my Thirties).
Ugly bloke turned out to be an abusive wanker. I dont really regret it though. I wouldnt have been happy with beautiful guy either as he was really rather dull.
<Saves up for therapy> grin

Latara Mon 26-Nov-12 21:16:51

I would rather be beautiful than intelligent; i'm prettyish in an average way but i'd love to have the kind of looks that stop men in their tracks... sorry if that makes me shallow but i don't care!

Ps. i'm intelligent-ish but not enough; & definitely not educated enough.

blueshoes Mon 26-Nov-12 20:38:39

On the issue of male looks, I am slightly suspicious of conventionally gorgeous men. They don't do it for me. I think men have to be slightly ugly and very clever to be attractive to me.

CheerfulYank Mon 26-Nov-12 20:34:33

The most objectively gorgeous man I ever dated was an abusive asshole. He got ugly in my mind very quickly!

I know it's prejudiced but it's been hard for me ever since to trust really handsome men...I guess I mean "pretty boys", not the ruggedly handsome type. smile I'm getting over it though, I have known some with lovely personalities.

LaQueen Mon 26-Nov-12 20:11:59

Kew I agree. My ex was a truly beautiful looking bloke, very Johnny Depp-ish...tall, dark, amazing cheek-bones and eyes to drown in. Other girls used to trample over me to get to him. People would do a double-take when he walked into the room etc.

But, actually his personailty really let him down. He was selfish, and mean with money. When I was with him, I was so besotted that I forgave him everything. And, he broke my heart when he left me.

But, when I met him a few years later (then being happily settled with DH) he wasn't nearly so beautful. Oh, I could see that he was still incredibly handsome...but I couldn't feel it. Because I knew him, and what I knew left me feeling pretty cold towards him.

MargeySimpson Mon 26-Nov-12 19:00:46

It's funny that the question is brains or beauty. people saying brains are doing so to take the moral high ground, but then ruin it with - so you can earn more!

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Mon 26-Nov-12 18:29:13

bub grin just pretend to us lot.

CheerfulYank Mon 26-Nov-12 18:27:03

Being bright does not mean tortured, but the few real geniuses I have met do often have problems.

Jux Mon 26-Nov-12 17:52:32

Yes, Ifnotnow, but some people are just dumb and no amount of trying or learning will make them a genius.

Seems you could say the same about faces - you could have anything from ugly as sin to total beauty - as you can about brains, anything from severely learning disabled to Einstein.

All brains are made up of neurones which interconnect, and all faces are made up of features which interconnect. I really don't see a difference in principle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now