Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be peed off at parents who drop their children's off at birthday parties...

(331 Posts)
AnnaLiza Sat 10-Nov-12 14:05:30

....instead of offering to help out!
It's not only about the child being able to cope without the parent. I do expect 11 year olds to be ok without the parents but how can it not occur to mums and dads that I may struggle to feed and look after a bunch of 15 kids when they sit down for food and cake?
I find it very rude that the parents just shoot off without even asking if I might need help. AIBU?

Pagwatch Sat 10-Nov-12 14:11:55

Ask a couple of parents of the children invited. Or ask a friend or two. It's actually not difficult.

squeakytoy Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:05

YABU. Its you doing the party.. and upto you to sort it out.

Goldenjubilee10 Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:06

YABVU if you can't look after 15 children or organise the help you need then don't invite them. You expect parents of 11 year olds to stay at a party? shock

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:07

No you don't pay them. confused

Is the party going on right this minute?

Euphemia Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:13

You enlist grandparents, siblings, etc. to help. Failing that, phone some of the kids' parents and ask if they'd mind staying to help.

My DD is 10 and it would never cross my mind to stay at a party. Mind you, I'm a teacher so I can cope with up to 33 children at once!

YABU.

Bobyan Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:22

OP you sound like very hard work.
Maybe if you weren't your friends would offer...

Notquite Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:26

Ask a couple of parents of the invited children, who you know reasonably well, if they could lend a hand. In advance.

BooksandaCuppa Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:48

YABVU. If you need help, you ask your own friends or family or check in advance if some of the other Mums/Dads can stay.

I did used to get cross if Mums dropped children off for parties without checking if I had their contact numbers (but only when they were very little - up to say 6 ) but have never expected non-friends to stay and help!!!

Mrsrobertduvallsaysboo Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:54

You need help with 11 year olds??????

How many are we talking about?

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 10-Nov-12 14:12:57

Ask around when your planning the party? Don't have a party for 15 kids and have a cinema and pizza trip for 3 or 4 instead? hmm

Surely it's a basic life skill to know what you're capable of handling. If someone let you down that's different, but you organised it you surely can't have thought someone would drop their child off and suddenly drop any other commitments to help you serve cake?

Yellowtip Sat 10-Nov-12 14:13:05

I used to loathe and detest univited mothers hanging around. They were usually the really annoying ones anyway. The ones I wanted to stay, I'd ask. Not difficult.

Hulababy Sat 10-Nov-12 14:13:11

Thought you were going to be talking about preschoolers or reception children perhaps?

But 11 year olds - I would;t ever expect parents to stay!

If you need help you need to arrange it before the party - other family memebrs, a good friend, maybe.

But yabu I am afraid.

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-Nov-12 14:13:30

15 Mrs R. shock

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-Nov-12 14:13:50

I hope it isn't a sleepover.

EduCated Sat 10-Nov-12 14:13:58

You ask family.

You ask friends.

You ask one or two of the parents who you know a bit better.

You could pay someone, an older teen perhaps.

You hold the party at a venue where the organisation is done for you.

You don't ask more kids than you can cope with. You take a couple of friends for cinema and bowling.

The point is YOU sort it out hmm

Notquite Sat 10-Nov-12 14:14:56

I'm just grateful if the parents take their children away at the end...

Marrow Sat 10-Nov-12 14:14:56

YABU and sound slightly odd!

5madthings Sat 10-Nov-12 14:15:23

When you organise the party ask another parent to help!! But at eleven years old they can help as well and are old enough to sit and wait and help serve food. Seriously its not that hard!

soundevenfruity Sat 10-Nov-12 14:15:52

Lots of disposable plates and cutlery and buffet style food. If you got as far as preparing the food for 15 11 year olds then serving it is doddle. I would fully expect parents of children to skip off to hairdresser's, shops, coffee etc.

KenLeeeeeee Sat 10-Nov-12 14:16:11

YABU. Don't invite 15 kids if you can't cope. If you need help, ask for it in advance by asking members of your family or a couple of the mums that you're friendly with.

Tweasels Sat 10-Nov-12 14:16:19

What have you done for previous parties OP? Parents stopped staying with the children when they were 6/7 down my neck of the woods.

This can't be the first time this has happened.

Mrsrobertduvallsaysboo Sat 10-Nov-12 14:16:51

15shock

We need to know what you are doing with them.

Yellowtip Sat 10-Nov-12 14:17:17

I'm also one of the ones who makes off after the drop off really fast, unless specifically asked to stay. It's quite bad form to engage the host with chit chat on the grounds that she needs to get on.

lljkk Sat 10-Nov-12 14:18:10

Sorry OP, I am with others. You need to ask for help in advance. Just did a big party for DD (11) and some of her mates were simply foul brats. DH & I just had to laugh about it afterwards.

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-Nov-12 14:18:24

YY Mrsr I am intrigued. Male or female children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now