Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the new ASDA advert is the biggest pile of sexist crap in a long time

(1000 Posts)
MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 11:52:15

to think its trying to APPEAL to women? dur!

HeadlessForHalloween Mon 05-Nov-12 12:25:27

If my husband had been that fucking useless in the run up to Christmas, and then come out with the line "What's for tea love"? just as I'd sat down, I'd punch him. Then divorce him. Then maybe punch him a bit more.

What a pile of sexist shite.

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 12:25:44

It's insulting to both sexes in equal measures I think.

It makes him look like an utter lazy arse who has been so 'Mothered' by his wife that he's not even allowed to choose a Christmas tree and is quite willing to sit around while she runs herself ragged.

And it makes her look like an idiot martyr crossed with a control freak.

Oh and then there's the lazy PILs sat on their arses on the couch!

GreyGardens Mon 05-Nov-12 12:27:16

And the equally useless kids.
I can't get beyond the appalling wrapping to be honest. I don't suppose I am their target demographic though [snob emoticon]

TheVermiciousKnid Mon 05-Nov-12 12:27:31

You're quite right, Worra. It's misandrist as well as misogynist shite. A big pile of double shite.

I rarely shop at ASDA anyway. I'll make sure I won't shop there at all.

Narked Mon 05-Nov-12 12:28:49

I don't know who should be more offended me or my DP

^ This

kim147 Mon 05-Nov-12 12:33:55

AIBU to leave my husband? He has spent all of Christmas sitting around on his arse watching TV whilst I peeled all the veg and potatoes. I asked him to buy a tree but he said he didn't know what I liked so could I go with him. Same for the wrapping. He says he's useless so that left me to do ithat as well.

The kid's nativity - couldn't even make it. Some office party. He's really a complete slob - I even have to write and post all the cards to his family as well.

I've just sat down. They're all sat on their arses watching TV including PIL. And now he's just asked me what's for tea, love sad

Still, at least I've given everyone a great Christmas.

WWYD?

MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 12:35:57

CHORUS.

LEAVE THE BASTARD

KenLeeeeeee Mon 05-Nov-12 12:37:04

Thank fook I'm not alone in raging about it.

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 12:40:38

Yes but the thing about this stupid woman is that she's obviously quite happy with the bastard.

That makes it worse for me because it totally normalises that sort of behaviour.

OptimisticPessimist Mon 05-Nov-12 12:41:28

So glad it's not just me. I had RAGE when I saw it last night.

Bogeyface Mon 05-Nov-12 12:42:49

I was ok with it, as thats pretty much what happens in our house, because I am the control freaks control freak when it comes to Christmas.

But "Whats for tea, love?" makes me want to kill that prick RIGHT NOW!

Xmas at home, New Year in Strangeways if I that happened here!

MrsDeVere Mon 05-Nov-12 12:43:02

I can't wait to see it! I want to watch with all the dcs (and preferably their friends) gathered around.
Then I can go off on an educational if albeit embarrassing (for the dcs) rant about sexism and misogyny in advertising.

I love doing that.

Looking around at their bewildered little faces <happy sigh>

Chubfuddler Mon 05-Nov-12 12:44:25

My husband was in a rage over this ad last night. It was shitola. I don't think I'm asda's idea of a mum tbh.

HeadlessForHalloween Mon 05-Nov-12 12:44:45

I was laughing at this thread title before I saw the ad. I thought that surely it couldn't be that bad, and someone was having an overreaction. Then I saw it, it's truly awful.

EscapeInTheCity Mon 05-Nov-12 12:45:13

I have to say, I could see the reason behind the ad. After all that's the reality for a lot, if not most, women

... that is until the guy then says 'what's for tea love?' when his dw has very clearly been running around everyone (incl all the grand parents) and hadn't stopped one second etc... and you can't see him helping at all

Then it made me want to strangle him

MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 12:45:23

Even my kids shouted out SEXIST

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 12:46:41

It makes me want to strangle both of them!

I've got 3 boys and they were all outraged in equal measures grin

HeadlessForHalloween Mon 05-Nov-12 12:47:56

DH will be indignant when he sees it. I do most of the preparation for Christmas, but that's because I'm at home, the kids are at school and DH works away all week. But he wouldn't bloody sit there doing nothing Christmas day, he always helps with wrapping, he's the one that decorates the tree with the dc (I get the rage watching small children put decs and lights on unevenly grin), and he always emails ideas for presents, picks stuff up etc.

HeadlessForHalloween Mon 05-Nov-12 12:49:43

MrsDeVere grin

Goofus Mon 05-Nov-12 12:50:02

Ah, now being pretty much the only person on this thread to like the advert, I had another watch. I didn't realise he said ''what's for tea, love?'' at the end.

That part does make me slightly stabby, I must admit. angry But the advert in general does reflect my family set up.

pudding25 Mon 05-Nov-12 12:51:32

It is so awful. It is like something from the 1950's.

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 12:53:51

Then again if his wife's that much of a martyr, he's probably not allowed to make his own tea...

Aspiemum2 Mon 05-Nov-12 12:55:52

I saw the ad this morning and my first thought was "that's a thread waiting to happen"!!
Dh cooks Christmas dinner in our house, I'm too busy taking toys out of cardboard boxes and inserting 200,000 batteries into the assorted toys which I then test to ensure they work wink

Poor dh, all the work and none of the credit!

I do buy the presents but I get most of them online as its cheaper and easier, I never get stressed at Christmas - asda mums are doing it wrong!!

kim147 Mon 05-Nov-12 12:56:07

I bet she's used Fairy Liquid to wash up as well.

Is the grandma on the sofa at the end of the ad reading 50 Shades of Grey? Next to a baby?!?

<phones SS>

This thread is not accepting new messages.