to not send my boy to nursery because of the little girl's abduction all over the news.

(231 Posts)
YesAnastasia Thu 04-Oct-12 10:42:00

It's not that I think it will happen to him but it's on my mind, on all the news and everyone's taking about it and it makes me want to have him sat on my lap 24/7. You can't help but imagine what if it were you, can you?

Nursery seems disorganised at best at the moment and I just want to keep him at home for the rest of the week. Is that bad?

sosos Fri 05-Oct-12 13:02:21

Firstly those who are saying "get a grip" why dont you take your own advice. theres no need to be horrible is there? Try be adult?
I have worked in nurseries for 8 years, all different ones and i can tell you i will NEVER send my child to one! Thats a different matter. op i understand where you are coming from, times like this you want your loved ones close by. i dont think this is the op's way to turn the attention on herself and views like that are the views that are actually quite disturbing. i know some SICKOS do try and turn it on themselves but i think this was general concern. I really pray this little girl gets found and none of us ever ever have to experience anything like what her parents are going through :-(

DialMforMummy Fri 05-Oct-12 13:25:53

Firstly those who are saying "get a grip" why dont you take your own advice. I do. DS is at nursery, hopefully not where you work.

sosos Fri 05-Oct-12 13:33:03

Luckily the nursery i am at is safe for the children but the workers (apart from me) only bother with ther children when the parents can see. otherwise they are mainly just sitting there chatting about eastenders etc. ive only worked at one nursery out of 6 that was great with the children x

JugglingWithPossibilities Sun 07-Oct-12 08:44:39

Well, you must have worked in some pretty bad nurseries sosos
I'm sorry that's been your experience.
I've worked in lots of great nurseries, where everyone does their best for the children. That's not easy when you're working 8-4 or 10-6, and some weeks when I was asked to do 8-6pm years ago. That's a long day with children - as we all know !
Sometimes staff have been stretched in terms of ratios, especially in early morning, end of the day, and lunch-time (due to obvious staffing challenges, with shifts and lunch-hours) but honestly I've always been impressed by the dedication of the staff (They/we all deserve a pay rise and better recognition of their skills BTW)

cory Sun 07-Oct-12 10:31:12

"times like this" implies that something new has happened that has changed the world

the truth is that children die every day of the year- and have done throughout history

just as many children were abducted and/or murdered 80 years ago (my MIL was nearly one of them), the month that doesn't see a child abduction in this country probably sees one in France or Spain or Scandinavia, these things happen at about the same rate all the time

the only thing that differs is the press coverage- and press coverage doesn't make any difference to the safety of our children

we can never keep our children 100% safe - but by dealing with our fears bravely and cheerfully we can refrain from making their lives one perpetual worry about all the bad things that might happen

sosos Mon 08-Oct-12 11:35:48

@jugglingwithpossibilities.... yeah the nurseries have been really poor and the worst thing is they have all been large chain private nurseries where you think the stuff would be great. i have had to leave so many places cause i couldnt cope with being the only one that actually worked and yes the pay we get is a shocker. you want your children to be safe when you are made to believe they are being well looked after. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now