ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to wonder why the whole country has gone completely bloody Royalist?

(794 Posts)
Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:36:22

Erect the scaffold.

Up the Republicans.

We are ADULTS we don't need a feudalistic Divine Right of Kings addled parasitical bunch of halfwits to live off our taxes.

Shakey1500 Thu 31-May-12 10:39:02

They pay tax as well grin

I don't mind 'em. Any excuse for a party and all that. Here, have a wine, wear red white and blue and wave a flag. Miracle cure for the blues, promise I'm full of shit

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:39:59

Off with their heads.

PandaWatch Thu 31-May-12 10:42:05

I have three words for you - Four Day Weekend grin

MooncupGoddess Thu 31-May-12 10:42:12

Haha. I do wonder sometimes if I have gone to sleep and woken up in 1897. However, I find jubilee fever less repulsive than royal wedding fever as Queenie has actually put in the hard graft over the years, rather than just having nice hair and a sister with an aesthetically satisfying arse.

Don't get me started on the bloody Olympics though.

hermioneweasley Thu 31-May-12 10:42:14

I haven't. The whole thing is making me extremely grumpy.

Ithinkitsjustme Thu 31-May-12 10:43:27

Well I know that if I had the choice of whether the Queen was our head of state, and gets to live in the palaces etc, or David Cameron/ Tony Blair and any more of their ilk, I would choose the Queen any day of the week!

We don't have alot to celebrate right now, so why shouldn't we all enjoy ourselves and have a party. What's the worst that can happen?

Pootles2010 Thu 31-May-12 10:43:47

I think for a lot of people it's more a chance to celebrate britishness, which we don't get too often.

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:44:07

That is so not the point I don't know where to start, Itsnot

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:44:35

Oh yes and the Olympics

pah

what a load of crap

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:45:01

What is "Britishness"?

The Royals are German for a start.

CaptainKirk Thu 31-May-12 10:47:22

Maybe it's because I wasn't born here, but I think the royal family is as much a part of the UK as anything else. I think they help define "Britishness". It's great to have the long tradition of the royals to counter the short terms of politicians. They're a great tourist draw and good ambassadors for the country. Sure, they mess up sometimes and are pretty out of touch but what do you expect? They're royalty! It's not their job to know what the commoners want. I think they're fab!

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:48:36

WHERE IS THE SENSE AND LOGIC?

I think Feast lollies are fab - I don't want them poncing about in carriages wishing they were tampons.

watfordmummy Thu 31-May-12 10:49:23

If the Royals are German, are second generation people who settled here from the Commonwealth or elsewhere not British either then?? confused

From my knowledge, The Queen was born here, her father was, his father was and his mother was Queen Victoria, who I believe was born here too!!

RamblingRosa Thu 31-May-12 10:49:27

It's insane isn't it? I've never seen so many union jacks in my life. In Sainsbury's at the weekend I was faced with a sea of Jubilee marketed crap...Union Jack toilet paper and "washlets" confused, Union Jack toothpaste, Jubilee Frosties, Union Jack Pimms, Union Jack cakes and biscuits, not to mention the bunting and flags everywhere.
Even friends who I'm sure don't support the monarchy in general seem to be getting quite into it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to knock having a four day weekend, I'm just not into celebrating the monarchy.

ZuzuBailey Thu 31-May-12 10:49:51

I'll join you in your grumpiness.

There is absolutely no such thing as Britishness and I have to work on Tuesday or take it as annual leave.

sashh Thu 31-May-12 10:51:12

We have not all gone mad, some of us are ignoring it.

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:51:24

GERMAN TO THE CORE.

I'm not grumpy.

I am INCENSED.

Talk about bread and bleedin circuses.

LadyMontdore Thu 31-May-12 10:51:42

Because its FUN and we haven't had alot of it recently!

I think lots of people are looking forward to a weekend of fun and spending time with family and neighbours. It's great to see communities coming together and the children particularly enjoy it.
Also, lots of people do respect and admire the Queen (even if you don't).

MrsVamos Thu 31-May-12 10:52:23

Oh, Hully, I'm gutted. sad

I wanted to learn the new Gary Barlow song he's wrote special for Queenie and have a sing-a-long with you.

He's got Prince Harry tapping a tambourine, y'know.

LadyMontdore Thu 31-May-12 10:52:45

Agree with Watford too!

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Thu 31-May-12 10:54:41

Pah. Don't be miz. Any excuse for a Bank Holiday, a party and yards of bunting in my book.

I have no truck with the Queen and her IMMEDIATE descendants ... it's the parasites I can't bear.

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:54:53

Street parties. Vom.

Respect and admire her for what? What?

Having lots of houses and a giant yacht?

Producing the spawn of the devil?

Sitting through great long dull dinners?

Perpetuating a system of hierarchy and privilege that civilised nations have long since swept away? A system that produced GOVE, CAMERON and GIDEON?

WannaBeWildCosMyLifesSoTame Thu 31-May-12 10:55:26

I think a lot of people could just do with something to celebrate at the moment, where's the harm in that? No-one's forcing you to get your Union Jack bunting out if you don't want to.

CaptainKirk Thu 31-May-12 10:55:27

Don't get me wrong. I DO think they're fab and that they're as British as pie and pees but I am NOT waving union jacks or celebrating or anything like that. They're cool to have around but I'm not one to celeb worship. It's the same reason this major sci-fi geek hasn't ever been to a convention. Don't see the point...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now