Catgate

(373 Posts)
SirSugar Wed 07-Dec-11 09:58:54

This rumbles on and on, so far have done the following;

asked nicely
got cross
written letters
telephoned
offered to get them a cat (they don't want one)
kept cat indoors, except for 15 mins in morning

but they are STILL feeding mine who is greedy and if I'm not on the ball during his 15 min morning run will be let into their house and not let out until I telephone to ask them to let him out.

Apparently, they used to keep a cat and for sentimental reasons they keep his bowls and 'put a little food down' which my cat nibbles on YET they have done everything they reasonably can NOT to feed my cat

[now absolutely fucking furious emoticon]

yoniwherethesundontshine Sat 18-Jan-14 14:43:50

gosh only skimmed, what an unusual and strange situation. How odd.

feeding animals too much is abuse, I wonder if you shouldnt get a solicitors letter out lining this...

BigArea Sat 18-Jan-14 12:44:42

SirSugar any update on this? Mind boggling.

Calloh Mon 02-Dec-13 20:07:34

Christ. I've just read this whole thread, the outrageous frustration, the extremely funny "you're not from Strictly", the horror when the cat goes missing, the sadness when his friend comes looking for him, the elation when he comes back. The grimness of the simulated masturbation. I was desperately, desperately hoping for a happy ending after two years. And there isn't one.

OP I'm so sorry. I hope the cat run works for you all and that the loathsome man next door finally accepts defeat. He can't easily get in to your garden can he?

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 02-Dec-13 18:34:17

Holy shit.

I'd have had to move or I'd have lost my mind.

Puts me minor neighbours feeding cat issue right into perspective.

They are insane.

Hissy Mon 02-Dec-13 17:30:37

Astounding! utterly insane.

TheWitTank Mon 02-Dec-13 16:55:54

This thread is insane! Never heard anything like it. Personally I think you have the patience of a saint Sugar, I could not continually ring them and be civil.
Glad to hear you are considering cat proofing the garden now, I really do think nothing will ever change otherwise. It just basically needs to be a situation where they cannot get their hands on your cat at all, and the cat has no way of getting to them. No amount of calls, letters or police visits are going to change them after two years! You have obviously exhausted every other option bar rehoming which you shouldn't have to do. I would be tempted to put the cat on a lead and walk it round the garden twice/three times a day rather than let it loose to roam! Keep us updated, good luck!

pictish Mon 02-Dec-13 16:25:00

Lunatics! shock

unobtanium Mon 02-Dec-13 16:18:46

Would a cat-harness be a silly idea?

I am really not liking the sound of your NDNs

BitOutOfPractice Mon 02-Dec-13 15:29:24

Just to add, the staff at the small claims court were also really helpful

BitOutOfPractice Mon 02-Dec-13 15:28:56

OP I am aghast at this! fshock They sound utterly bonkers!

A few years ago I had a legal (civil) problem. I had a half hour (free) consultation with a solicitor who basically told me what to write in the forms for the small claims court. I won and this was against a large multinational company. It was easy to do and mighty effective.

Could you try something like that? Claim for stress, carpet cleaning, lost hours at work etc etc

I've just read nearly the entire thread before realising that it was an old one, but your neighbours are definitely nuts. No idea what you can do about it though.

Whatisaweekend Mon 02-Dec-13 15:10:33

I am so, so sorry that this is still going on. I am glad to hear that you may have sussed out a cat run area that will also be nice to sit in the summer. The added satisfaction of knowing you have thwarted your bonkers neighbours will make it all the sweeter. As for the simulated masturbation, that's just not normal (and weird and gross). Shouldn't someone be told? Police? Local mental health services?

SirSugar Mon 02-Dec-13 15:03:40

My neighbours are nuts, well, she is clearly not well and he is a nasty bastard

IceBeing Mon 02-Dec-13 14:35:35

good grief.

It is just incredible the way your neighbours have behaved...

SirSugar Mon 02-Dec-13 14:22:47

Hiddenhome, I realised that I can build a very easy fencing using that stuff on the side return drive of my house with access from the kitchen - it will make a lovely extra little place to sit out in the summer.

In the meantime the cat stays home.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Mon 02-Dec-13 14:06:34

Sir - I can't believe this is still going on! I remember this thread from my first maternity leave and I'm now on my second. This whole sorry situation has been going on for way too long now...

It's almost as if the crazy neighbours are stalking you via the cat. Can you get some kind of court order against them? Something to do with harassment? I don't know the terms but surely this has to constitute harassment in some form? It must be so ridiculously stressful for you.

I think the cat run is the only way to go, save moving. Good luck.

hiddenhome Mon 02-Dec-13 14:05:12

Sorry this is still going on sad

I'm getting Protect A Puss cat fencing to stop my cats from getting out after one went missing in August.

SirSugar Mon 02-Dec-13 13:51:38

Last night I had to ring them to get the cat out of their house. Then I couldn't get the cat in, so I left him and went to bed - the temperature here was not too bad and the cat had run off up the street at every attempt to get him in.

After midnight I got a phonecall from the husband which woke me up ordering telling me to come down now and get my cat in as there are foxes in the garden and he is vunerable and I am cruel. I basically told him to fuck off, yet he went on and on about the welfare of my cat

I couldn't get the cat in despite trying as it was firmly positioned on their doorstep inside their garden.

Needless to say I got a poor nights sleep after that.

I am going to keep cat in from now on and will either get cat run or catproof fencing (small price to stop these disgusting people) - I know, I should have done it earlier.

Rosieliveson Sat 30-Nov-13 07:29:51

I'd start ringing at 2, 3am or 4am asking if they had the cat as he wasn't home and is usually at there's when he is missing - even though he's safely snoozing on your bed!! They might stop letting him in for a quieter life and a night's sleep.

Jux Sat 30-Nov-13 00:16:01

Phone 101 every time. Send a solicitor's letter.

Find a bloke to give you pee which you can pour around their doorstep.

cozietoesie Fri 29-Nov-13 23:34:58

Neighbour cats may come into my garden (although we have precious few left these days - at least ones who go outside) but while I'm civil to them, I don't feed them, cosset them or allow them into my house.

They're not my cats.

Can't get over how mad this thread is. Poor OP and poor puss.

I love cats. I am allergic so can't have one. next doors cat, and one across the road, often come over to us for a fuss. They are stroked ON THE DOORSTEP and then they walk away. In the summer, they do wander in, because our doors are open. They are allowed to stroll around our kitchen (wipeable floors) but we chase them out if they manage to get anywhere with carpet. Next doors has a habit of climbing on to our conservatory roof and trying to get in the bedroom window, we have caught her halfway in a few times-and I'm sure we will soon find her asleep on the bed! However-our doors are always open. If cat has come in for a sniff around/a stroke, It is shooed out before we close the door. Isnt that how normal people deal with cats?

cozietoesie Fri 29-Nov-13 23:09:01

Just one thing to add, Sir. Your demented neighbours have fixated on Catgate for over three years now. If the cat disappears (rehomed - or long term fostered which is another option), they'll likely find something else to fixate on - and then you'll probably have 'em.

PurpleRayne Fri 29-Nov-13 22:58:31

If it was a man doing that at the kitchen door would you have reported it to the police? Hope you have done so. Try flashing back - with your mobile phone on video.

If you bought the cat from a breeder, contact them, they often stipulate in your purchasing contract that they require you to take them back to them and not re-home yourself.

Poor animal.

Fozzleyplum Fri 29-Nov-13 22:56:30

ASBO's have been imposed for less. The combination of the cat-related behaviour and the simulated masturbation would probably be enough. Think your neighbours may have a personality disorder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now