Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Surprise dairy & egg free finds - join me in making a list?

(264 Posts)
abigboydidit Tue 28-Aug-12 12:56:30

Hi -

I'm new to the whole allergy thing (DS is 15 months old & allergic to milk & eggs). As he's getting older I'm starting to appreciate how limiting it is and how lovely it is when he can have an off-the-shelf item that everyone else is having. So, I thought I would start a thread where we could list surprise finds we've came across (or in my case, that MN have pointed me towards!).

My (very short) list:
- shop bought puff pastry (read this in a thread the other day. A revelation! And just in time for my nephew's birthday party!)
- jammie dodgers (ditto!)
- Nairns Dark Choc Chip biscuits (made in factory handling milk)
- Sacla tomato & garlic stir in sauce
- Sacla Char-Grilled Aubergine Pesto
- Cauldron aduki bean kiev (salty though!)

Anyone like to share their finds?

misdee Sat 22-Dec-12 16:01:54

sainsburys basic garlic bread

Cattyness Mon 24-Dec-12 00:04:19

Ds is severely cows milk and egg allergic, not doing great at the moment so this thread is brill, p,ease read label to double check in case your dc has a different allergy, sorry if these are already mentioned as haven't read thread properly!
He has weetabix, oatibix (says not suitable for milk allergy sufferers but ds seems fine)
Youngs fish and birds eye fish fingers(read pack as there's so many different ones)
Heinz baked beans, dolmio sauces, Heinz ketchup (branstons contains milk tho ds was fine with it at the time)
Will post more once I've thought of them x

Cattyness Mon 24-Dec-12 00:07:38

Nandos marinade not forgetting x

Cattyness Mon 24-Dec-12 00:10:49

Sainsburys taste the difference fish fingers (the big ones, but ds prefers birds eye)

I am so excited about the jus rol pain au chocolat- I am on a mission to find them tomorrow!

Can anyone else tell me if they adhere to the 'may contain traces of xyz or made in a factory processing xyz' as it seems to be on pretty much everything & we ignore it unless it actually does contain the things dd can't have ( egg, nuts sesame & plum )

Feel that we may be playing with fire though

emisa2okasan Tue 08-Jan-13 10:58:59

tesco everyday value fruited malt loaf is dairy & egg & nut free. also it is cheap 28P !

superoz Wed 23-Jan-13 19:11:45

I just found this in my local waitrose:
m.waitrose.com/mt/www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-231163-Lotus+biscuit+spread+smooth

It is dairy and nut free which is fab for my dd and she loves it, makes a great substitute for peanut butter/choc spread.
It does contain wheat and soya though so not suitable for those allergic to these.

harverina Fri 25-Jan-13 15:15:24

Superoz I cannot tell you how excited I am to see that spread!

Although I dont know if Id trust myself not to eat it all myself haha! I am going to look for this in waitrose next time I go - I go especially for their bourbon biscuits. We avoid "may contains" too so it makes it harder to find things.

harverina Fri 25-Jan-13 15:17:41

CAn I ask, does anyone know of a garlic bread that is milk, egg and nut free with no "may contain" warnings? The free from stuff is pretty awful from asda, but most of the ones I see that dont have milk or nuts in the actual ingredients have milk or nut warnings sad

freefrommum Fri 25-Jan-13 15:51:58

Sorry no but making your own garlic bread is really easy (even for someone like me who can't cook!). You just need a baguette, some dairyfree spread (eg Vitalite), some minced garlic and some parsley - easy peasy!

LCK Sun 27-Jan-13 21:24:09

this is a great list. all sorts I hadn't thought of, DD is just a year and we found out when she was 6 months she was allergic to milk, egg, cashews, and pistachios (and she seems to have lately developed a couple more) and I am still adapting. If I need emergency foods she still gets an Ella's pouch

Ipanema Sun 27-Jan-13 22:44:44

LCK, I could have written 90% of your post! Thank you all for all these tips! I've been adding some excitement and convenience to her menu with the help of this list.

harverina Mon 28-Jan-13 11:24:24

freefrommum, yeah will give that a go. Just need to find a dcent baguette - asda do a lovely ciabbatta loaf which my DD can have and she loves it so that may be a good alternative to a baguette. In fact, I am going to make that this week!

superoz Tue 29-Jan-13 22:25:25

harverina the Lotus spread is absolutely yummeee! It looks like peanut butter, is great on toast and tastes EXACTLY like the biscuits.Mmmmm....
We too avoid 'may contain' food and find the essential biscuits are some of the few she can have.

mrswheezie Wed 30-Jan-13 11:09:03

Wot no dairy! yoghurts are fab and made of pea protein so great of you have a soya allergy.
Mrs Crimble does a great selection too, but only the Dutch Apple cake is free from dairy and eggs!
Pom bears plain.
Kingsmill 50/50 bread.
We have the same allergies too! Good luck :-)

blue2 Wed 30-Jan-13 11:34:49

I cannot eat wheat or eggs, and have found finding a GF bread really hard as most contain eggs.

I have, however, found these :www.dietaryspecials.co.uk/gluten-free-products/our-products/bread/brown-ciabatta-rolls/

I wouldn't suggest you try them out on anyone too small, as they contain seeds!

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Bilbomum Wed 30-Jan-13 12:23:40

Superoz, I have to say a big thanks for the Lotus spread tip off. I hot footed it down to Waitrose yesterday, it's fab! DS was in seventh heaven eating his after school snack grin

miablue1 Wed 30-Jan-13 22:54:18

Hiya Special and determined mum! I just wondered how things were, I had the same experience with my dd1 a year ago and hope that you have found an answer.

I also have a shopping list of Dairy/Wheat/Egg and Peanut free items

Formula- Neocate- prescribed by dietician at hospital

Breakfast cereals
RUDE HEALTH – Honey Puffed Oats
KELLOGS / SAINSBURY’s OWN Rice Krispies
KELLOGS CORNFLAKES
KELLOGS Rice Krispy Multi Grain Shapes
COCO POPS

Breads
ENER-G Tapioca Bread (purchased from GENERAL DIETARY ONLINE)
ENER-G Dinner Rolls
ENER-G Pizza Breads
D/S Soy flour ciabbatta rolls
D/S Sliced Bread

Butter
Vitalite
T-Rex block for baking
Pure coconut oil/butter jar (100% coconut)
CHEESE – Vegusto golden – no soy/dairy cheese
Milk -
OATLEY plain and chocolate flavor (LOW IN CALCIUM)
KARA Chocolate Milk
Nesquick

PASTA/RICE- check for no egg as well as wheat / gluten free
ORGRAN white/brown rice pasta and lasagne sheets
Vermicelli rice noodles
Bob the builder pasta shapes in the free from section at sainsbury’s

Sauces
KNORR stock gels
BISTO Caramelised onion gravy ONLY
FREE AND EASY Dairy Free cheese powder-good for mac/cheese and fish pie
ANY NON CHEEESE BASED DOLMIO SAUCE

Heinz Baked Beans
Heinz Tomato Sauce
ORGRAN Spaghetti (in sauce)

FREEZER ITEMS
Mini rice and veg fusions microwavable bags
Sainsbury’s Free From – fish fingers/chicken breast steaks/ chicken nuggets
McCain Oven chips – (no batter)
McCain Smiley faces/waffles

READY MADE –
MRS Crimbles Apple rice cakes and Spiced Apple Cake
LAZY DAY FOODS choc n orange brownies/millionaires shortbreads
Dr Lucy’s Choc chip cookies
Sainsbury’s free from digestives
Organix carrot sticks/oat bars
FROOTZ – sugared fruit drops
BEAR FRUIT yoyos
Hula Hoops
Chupa Chups
Sainsbury’s Free from choc drops
Moo Free chocolate (no peanuts)

ITEMS NEEDED FOR BAKING
Xanthum Gum – Doves
Potato flour
Dove S/R White Flour
Coconut Flour (100%)
Caster Sugar
(NO ICING SUGAR – Contains egg whites)
Gluten Free Baking Powder and Soda (DR OETKER)
Arrow root
Golden Syrup
Most Jam's
Most Honey's
And- BETTY CROCKER BUTTER ICING -NO BUTTER IN SIGHT!!

Hope it helps

OHforDUCKScake Thu 31-Jan-13 22:45:55

What are the ingredients of Lotus Spread?

I just looked at Ocado but couldnt find it.

Thanks.

NameGotLostInCyberspace Wed 06-Feb-13 09:29:28

MN to the rescue! I am having a party on sat and one of the children is egg free. At least now I have a few things that I can give him safely.
Thank you smile

heliotrope Wed 06-Feb-13 13:01:17

Cooperative premium range stem ginger cookies. I forgot the name, maybe 'extra special'? Equivalent to taste the difference at Sainsers. In a black box anyway and taste quite buttery but no dairy or egg.

freefrommum Wed 06-Feb-13 13:53:34

Thanks miablue1, that's a fab list especially for me as DS has exactly the same allergies! Just wanted to add that did you know Heinz beans and sausages are also ok? I was amazed when another mum told me as I always assumed these type of sausages contained wheat. Didn't believe it until I read the ingredients myself but now they're a godsend when we're in a rush and haven't been shopping for a while grin

chloejaynemummy Fri 08-Feb-13 15:38:19

Tesco GARLIC BREAD is milk free xxx

mademred Mon 11-Feb-13 17:31:49

I have an egg allergy, lecithin is in a lot of biscuits including foxes party rings.lecithin is part of the egg.

LCK Mon 11-Feb-13 20:39:31

We love rankins potato farls - like potato cakes but without egg. And sweet and salt pret popcorn dairy and egg free I discovered this week as a super treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now