Refuge John Lewis gift list - donate here

(176 Posts)
JackThePumpkinKing Tue 06-Nov-12 18:23:33

Re-posting from the Christmas topic, hopefully the thread police won't bite me grin

www.redonline.co.uk/news/sam-baker-s-daily-letter/john-lewis-refuge-gift-list

"Every year, Refuge try to ensure that every woman and child in their refuges receive a minimum of two to three presents each to unwrap on Christmas day. As Refuge say, 'The Christmas gift initiative is vital to ensure that refuges became places of joy on a day that has the potential to very bleak and hard.'
The charity have a gift list at John Lewis for the appeal so it could not be simpler. You can go as small as a counting block for £2.99, to as big as a pair of roller blades for £40. Whatever you pick, you will know that there?s a child in a refuge somewhere who will have a present to open on Christmas morning ? thanks to you.
Surely, this is the best reason to start your Christmas shopping early this year?
Go to Johnlewisgiftlist.com and enter list number 522953. ( The gift list has to close on 6th December 2012 so that there is time to get the presents to each of the Refuges )

Busyoldfool Wed 07-Nov-12 22:24:47

Good idea - I can do that. Thanks OP

JackThePumpkinKing Wed 07-Nov-12 23:42:54

Then what about the gift vouchers Mosman? smile

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 00:07:33

I cannot imagine being given £20 in gift vouchers when your total income might be £60 and being told to go and find something in JL to spend it on. I'd rather give the person cash to spend on what they need and get 4 times the amount of stuff in Asda.
I will buy a toy if something I think a child might want appears on the list
I just find it a bit odd we are imposing a middle class gruffalo costume on some little mite who's never heard of it and might prefer a set of cars that's all

struwelpeter Thu 08-Nov-12 00:20:05

I bought stuff last year and from what it said on the Refuge site then it was things that people in refuges actually wanted - presumably somewhere there is someone who wants £15 hair straighteners?
If Refuge think it's good enough to set up, then who are you to criticise Mosman angry? Just because you are broke why can't you enjoy having something posh and enjoying it and why should someone in a refuge want to sell an iPod or whatever?
You don't have to be rich, poor, stupid, wise, clever or feckless to be abused and have to flee your home biscuit

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 00:26:44

I think it's a very odd list I have no problem with hair straighteners but ones I know from experience are rubbish are not something I am willing to buy, I find a bright pink cost strange where's the boys coat or neutral one ? It looks like some middle class twit has compiled their wish list tbh

WelshMaenad Thu 08-Nov-12 00:43:10

Mosman, the gruffalo is arguably the most popular children's book of the last decade. Are you saying, then, that the families that find themselves in refuge are of a 'type' that don't read books?

Did you mean to sound so rude?

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 00:55:13

They may not even be English and have a clue what that odd looking toy is. I think there are better more appealing toys available. And since you mention the gruffalo my family members who have four under fives between had never heard of it and thought it was a dreadful book and hideous toy when they saw we'd bought it for my child and took the piss relentlessly.
It seems a shame if that's the only present you might get for it to be something you open and think WTF or in the case of the straighteners it breaks in a month.

WelshMaenad Thu 08-Nov-12 00:59:36

Do you not think refuge staff will distribute gifts according to their knowledge of who would appreciate what? I know very well where a gruffalo toy would be appreciated and where it would not, due to this shocking notion that I get to know my service users.

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 01:05:24

Do you not thinking it would be better to offer a more universally known/liked toy to begin with its not like JL are limited in their options they seemed to have quite a selection last time I looked hmm. The cynic in me wonders if the list was selected on profitability.

WelshMaenad Thu 08-Nov-12 01:10:09

I can't say I've wasted too much time analysing it, to be frank.

Pretty much every four year old I've met has loved the gruffalo. Maybe my entire world is populated with middle class twits.

Or maybe the middle class twits are the ones making assumptions about families who are in crisis and assigning stereotypes and judgement where there just needs yo be acceptance and generosity

Dunno. Just sayin'.

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 01:18:29

Which answers nothing at all about why we need a pink duffle coat but not a blue one or indeed a grey one that could be used for multiple children in a family. I have no problem with the idea but this seems to need a bit more thought and consideration in terms of making good use of people's generosity.

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 01:19:16

A lot of it looks like stuff that would end up in the sale. Just saying.

garlicbaguette Thu 08-Nov-12 01:35:01

This is a lovely idea! FWIW I'm skint to the level of choosing between heat & food, but I will buy one of the cheapest items. Families in refuges have better heating and meals than I do, but their lives have been ripped apart and a great Christmas is going to be a powerful milestone for many.

Mosman, refusing to support a charitable effort because you think it could have been done better is a classically mean-minded tactic. Just buy an item of which you approve, or be straightforward enough to say you won't contribute.

bellabelly England Thu 08-Nov-12 01:46:52

Thanks for this thread - have just bought a Lightning McQueen light thing, hope somebody will really love opening it on xmas morning. I have to say that I do slightly agree with Mosman... would have much preferred to buy 2 or 3 cheaper items, ie spent same amount (all I can afford at the mo!) but on smaller items. Also, much as I love the idea of this, I wonder why they can't let you putsome money towards the larger items without having to actually pay for the whole thing, if that makes sense.

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 01:50:08

Garlic I shall purchase something but am disappointed with the choices on offer, I think I've made that point now.

WelshMaenad Thu 08-Nov-12 01:52:26

Girls like pink. I imagine that for christmas a little girl mike like something special, in her favourite colour, just for her. Because these families are allowed to have nice things, you know. Things that are perhaps a bit impractical or items of a luxury nature, that will bring them joy. They might be in crisis but let's not impose worthy practicality on their fucking Christmas gifts, for fucks sake.

rollmeover Thu 08-Nov-12 01:52:34

I bought from this last month when it was advertised in Red. The item that I bought doesnt appear to be on the list any more, so I suppose they have changed the list over time so not every 4 year old is going to get a gruffalo costume!
I have to say I think it is a pretty good list - you can buy practical things like clothes or a toy if you prefer.
But you cant please all the people all the time. If people like the idea but dont like the list then it might perhaps encourage them to donate cash or vouchers direct to a refuge.
Great idea for a great charity and hopefully get people talking about supporting women in refuges (and help get rid of the thought that "middle class" women dont end up there!)

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 04:43:30

Practicality is imposed on my kids Christmas as it is most children's on the basis that hard earnt cash shouldn't be wasted, regardless of people's situation

Astelia Thu 08-Nov-12 04:59:53

Done. I think it is a lovely idea. I went for a couple of mum presents- but there wasn't much choice. JL sell loads of soaps and perfumes but there were only 3 toiletry things on the list (I can't think of anyone who doesn't like a bit of Crabtree and Evelyn or Roger Gallet as a treat and JL stock both).

Mosman I live in a high rise flat in one in the most deprived areas in britain and the children know who the fucking gruffalos are round here. Shockingly poor people can read! Who knew!
Plus it's on tv and you know how our poor kids watch tv all day.

The list had many cheaper practical items last week like hairbrushes ect, it replenishes with things picked by shelter.

ilovetermtime Thu 08-Nov-12 05:31:28

This is great, thanks!

Mosman Thu 08-Nov-12 05:40:35

Pets you're being a bit silly aren't you, nobody said only poor people know or don't know what a gruffalo is or can or can't read. And nobody said only poor people end up in refuges so do not reflect your ignorance onto me.

Sirzy Thu 08-Nov-12 06:03:48

Fantastic idea, I already donate to a local charity though a church service I attend but not everyone gets that chance. This is open to all

Can I please urge people when buying presents to remember older children/teens. When picking things it's always easy to focus on toys for the little ones but it's just as nice for the older children to have something.

JackThePumpkinKing Thu 08-Nov-12 08:50:37

Mosman - nobody is forcing you to buy anything grin and £20 in JL vouchers could also be used in Waitrose to buy food btw.
There was a lot more on the list a few days ago (which is a good thing, it means lots has been bought!!)

Don't forget that this list will have been put together by Refuge, not John Lewis.

For anybody that doesn't want to buy via John Lewis and think the money should go direct to Refuge, then you can donate here

grin

bigsnugglebunny Thu 08-Nov-12 09:21:52

Wow, just wow - mosman I am an educated, articulate, well-brought up woman. I found myself in an abusive relationship when I was much younger and fled to a refuge with my (then) 6 month old DS1. Domestic violence knows no class, and can affect anyone.

Yes, there isn't as much choice as I'd like on the list - but making the assumption that an ipod shuffle would be sold on is bloody insulting actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now