How are you feeling? Any suicidal thoughts or feelings?

(61 Posts)
Longlost10 Fri 16-Sep-16 06:39:17

Having found more than half the teachers talking in a staff room I was in a few days ago admit to having had suicidal feelings over the last two weeks, I am just wondering how widespread this frame of mind is within the teaching profession?

MrsGuyOfGisbo Fri 16-Sep-16 09:32:03

Maybe it is the same proportion as in the general population, but they are not talking about it as most workplaces don't have staff rooms.
I think Septemebr 'is the cruellest month' not April as the poet said, because summer is washed up, days getting noticeably shorter and everyone suffers form 'back-to-school-it is, left over from childhood. This is max time for divorce lawyers to get calls - so not just teachers feeling down.

wayway13 Fri 16-Sep-16 09:39:20

I used to fantasise about throwing myself down the stairs to break a leg but I'd still have been expected to set cover work, mark work, do all the admin. Then it was "oooh that looks like a nice, big truck".

Anyway, I got pregnant and pushed through. Took a year off then went back pt for a year. Off on mat leave again now. Planning to be a SAHM for a good few years.

frozenpink Fri 16-Sep-16 16:13:33

No. I need out though, otherwise my mental health is going to suffer. I'm also only a TA But they expect a massive amount for the pay I get.

temporarilyjerry Fri 16-Sep-16 18:15:37

Not "only", frozen.

I agree TAs are expected to do far too much. Most are worth their weight in gold.

Longlost10 Fri 16-Sep-16 18:24:39

I have a friend who assures me that being off work with cancer is hugely preferable to teaching, wayway.

No, I don't think half the population are likely to have had suicidal thoughts in the last two weeks, just because it is September! And January is peak month for divorce lawyers.

VilootShesCute Fri 16-Sep-16 18:26:59

Oh this is so sad. I am not a teacher but I feel so sorry for those who are. Why the hell do nurses and teachers get shit wages when they're doing such important jobs?! Boils my blood.

icingonthewall Fri 16-Sep-16 18:27:29

This is NOT normal, and don't let anyone suggest that it is.

icingonthewall Fri 16-Sep-16 18:27:46

Christ, cancer better than teaching???

Badhairday1001 Fri 16-Sep-16 18:49:30

No definitely not normal! I used to dream about breaking a limb so I didn't have to go in. I love my job now though and would hate to break a bone or feel ill because life is good, not perfect but definitely good x

Calsgirl Fri 16-Sep-16 19:17:35

Not suicidal exactly but definitely remember looking into the River Thames the day after the Y2 scaled scores came out last term and thinking 'if I jump in, will I definitely drown?'!

Calsgirl Fri 16-Sep-16 19:18:02

Not suicidal exactly but definitely remember looking into the River Thames the day after the Y2 scaled scores came out last term and thinking 'if I jump in, will I definitely drown?'!

Pud2 Sun 18-Sep-16 10:37:38

I think that if you think that breaking a limb or getting cancer is better than your job then perhaps you need to move school or get a different job? Staff in my school work hard but there's a good atmosphere, we enjoy the kids and have a laugh in the staff room. That's how it should be.

BluishSky Mon 19-Sep-16 19:58:07

Yes. What's the point? I busted a gut last year and it appears now that it's going to be thrown in my face. I have to explain to others how to do things, yet they are flavour of the month, so they get the credit. Sorry that makes no sense. I can't be bothered any more.

Not suicidal but for the first time, I'm seriously considering getting out.

YorkieDorkie Mon 19-Sep-16 20:02:11

Same for me bluish.

BluishSky Mon 19-Sep-16 20:03:15

I have been trying to get out. I'm to expensive to go elsewhere. I don't have the skills to leave the 'profession'. Trapped. Exhausted. Can't be bothered.

Leslieknope45 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:03:37

I have had thoughts of driving my car off the road.
I don't know what I'm doing or why.

BluishSky Mon 19-Sep-16 20:03:39

flowers Yorkiedorkie

BluishSky Mon 19-Sep-16 20:05:07

I appreciate the thought of getting another job. It's not that easy. I have a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed. Schools have jobs, but don't want to pay you.

Leslieknope45 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:07:33

We have a laugh in the staff room but I don't enjoy the kids. Every lesson is a slog. I'm sick of it already.

YorkieDorkie Mon 19-Sep-16 20:09:06

"Already" Leslie? How long have you been teaching? wine

PoisonWitch Mon 19-Sep-16 20:11:36

I used to think about crashing the car in the way in and fantasize about a semi serious illness. I quit and have been promoted to a better wage than I was on teaching within 6 months of new job.

Leslieknope45 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:12:06

I meant this year! But not long, only five years.

Smartiepants79 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:16:40

I'd be horrified if any of my colleagues was suicidal because of work??
I know one who's in a bad place but that's down to personal reasons.
Teaching is a slog at the moment but for the most part the kids are great and we work well as a team and get on well as friends.
We're very lucky I think.
That said, I can't envisage going back to full time at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now