Anyone not planning to celebrate The Wedding?

(145 Posts)
SpeedyGonzalez Tue 12-Apr-11 21:52:29

I just don't do the whole monarchy thing, y'know.

Anyone else?

Tidybush Sun 17-Apr-11 17:45:41

<snort>

OTheHugeManatee Mon 18-Apr-11 12:24:08

DP and I are buggering off to the seaside. The forecast is mostly sunny, with a slight risk of bunting, but overall the outlook is good.

KatieWatie Mon 18-Apr-11 12:31:26

Am taking advantage of 10 days holiday / 3 days annual leave grin and going to France. We have a TV there but it doesn't pick up channels, so we couldn't watch it even if we wanted to (which we don't). I shall be mainly sunbathing and swimming whilst Kate & Wills sweat grin

My only worry is what if I miss something good - someone falling over, or some major faux pas? That would be terrible...

owlbooty Mon 18-Apr-11 12:38:29

I'm also leaving the country. Hoorah!

Happy to have the extra holiday as we are moving in 2 weeks and I could use the time. Could not care less about the wedding.

corlan Mon 18-Apr-11 13:00:47

I'm looking at it as a great opportunity to go somewhere or do something that I would usually avoid because it's too crowded.
Might be a good day to take the kids to a Theme Park - I wonder if they'll be open?

NorthernGobshite Mon 18-Apr-11 13:23:46

I am driving 250 miles to visit family for a family wedding that weekend. I would rather be staring at the M1 than at those inbred drains on society!

DH and I agreed that DD will need to see a little bit of the spectacle on TV - since it's a Big Thing and all that. She is quite into the whole princessy thing just now. It's a perfect opportunity to fill her head with republican good sense and make sure she knows what a pile of crap the monarchy is grin

The wedding is not registering much with people up here, ime. I heard that there have only been about 4 planning requests for street parties in the whole of Scotland.

NorthernGobshite Mon 18-Apr-11 13:37:04

My dd is not in the least bit interested and I am pleased as its all a pile of crap as far as I'm concerned.

Badgerwife Mon 18-Apr-11 13:51:12

I'm moving house. Hoping to find a wedding free radio station might be too much of an ask though

We're going to Legoland for the first time - although a friend did point out yesterday it's in bloody Windsor and will be full of royal wedding tat!

My boys are far too young to get what it's all about thankfully and we'll be ensuring a good education over the next few years on the nonsense that is the monarchy! grin

DarthNiqabi Mon 18-Apr-11 13:58:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BringBackGoingForGold Mon 18-Apr-11 14:01:18

Hell no. In the daytime I'm going to a recording of the radio show Cabin Pressure to perv over Benedict Cumberbatch enjoy some fine Brit comedy, then in the evening some friends are having a going-away party. Wedding? What wedding?

I shall be going to the zoo with dd, ds and dh with a picnic. Their website claims they will be a RW free zone.

Hurrah!

And I don't care if it's rainy etc. We.are.still.going!

onagar Mon 18-Apr-11 14:25:31

Someone is getting married?

ouryve Mon 18-Apr-11 14:28:10

We'll be driving to visit family, too. Radio is guff for most of the journey on any day, so we'll have a fully loaded MP3 player for entertainment.

MrsKaravan Mon 18-Apr-11 14:29:03

I work part time so worked out if I do a whole day at work (a tv free zone) that day I will get double time back which will mean a week off another time. Yay. Ta very much royals grin

Butkin Mon 18-Apr-11 15:21:56

Probably spend most of the day riding and getting ready for a show on Saturday. Will probably turn on the TV during lunch to see what they are wearing etc but won't be doing anything remotely communal (shudder).

LuckyWeKeptTheCot Mon 18-Apr-11 15:29:12

I'll be having a picnic at a big village do by the sea. I celebrate almost anything and the children love any chance to wave a flag and dress up. Think complaining about it is totally missing the point which is a day to forget about all the cuts/austerity shite and have a laugh with your community. You can tell I'm the product of an East End family can't you? It's the Blitz spirit ladies. A bit of red, white and blue cake hits the spot. Roll out the barrel!

AmyStake Mon 18-Apr-11 15:31:44

Is it sad that I actually want to find a local party for the wedding? confused

LuckyWeKeptTheCot Mon 18-Apr-11 15:32:32

Not at all. It's happening whether we like it or not so why not have fun?

GabbyLoggon Mon 18-Apr-11 15:42:56

onagar..loads of couples are getting married.

Ishtar2410 Mon 18-Apr-11 15:44:27

We're not celebrating it as such but we are going to the bun throwing in town. I kid you not...they throw fruit buns from the top of the town hall on 'special' days: royal weddings, the Queen's jubilee, etc, so we're off to see if we can catch one.

Then we're escaping for a picnic. No, we're not eating the buns...

COCKadoodledooo Mon 18-Apr-11 15:53:31

I shall be celebrating having dh home for an extra day grin Feel free to vom now!

GabbyLoggon Mon 18-Apr-11 16:04:56

By all means have fun. But do it for your own reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now