Another novice cat owner here. Getting new kitten on Sunday. Advice please!

(286 Posts)
ToffeeWhirl Fri 19-Apr-13 14:20:31

I have been looking at old threads here and it's been really helpful, but still have a couple of questions. Firstly, am I meant to put newspaper down under the cat litter or just sprinkle the cat litter straight into the litter tray? Am not sure what newspaper will achieve, but have this odd feeling I should! confused

The other thing I'm troubled about is that we are bringing the kitten back in the car with us and it will be a four-hour journey. I have borrowed a cat carrier and bought some Feliway to spray in it. Am just looking out old fleeces and towels to make it snuggly. What I'm worried about is what to do about food, water and the kitten's need to wee/poo. It is toilet trained already (it's 14 weeks' old), but will it just do that in the carrier if it needs to? Could I bring the litter tray and offer that or is that a mad idea? I do have an absorbant disposable mat to place under the towels in case of sickness or anything else.

And I don't know what to do about food because some advice says don't feed your cat before a journey in case it makes it travel sick. But surely it's cruel not to offer the kitten some food on the journey? I will obviously be offering water anyway.

Also, a friend told me to bring ear plugs for the journey because the cat might be noisy. It's a Balinese (like a Siamese). I have visions of a four-hour journey from hell, with yowling travel-sick kitten and two wailing, travel-sick children.

cozietoesie Tue 23-Apr-13 17:38:27

Well I have no reference size scale to judge him by but he has that big boned look of a going-to-be larger animal. His breeder will know best though especially because she knows his parentage.

Points are mainly ears, tail, face and paws. He should stay pretty creamy elsewhere although, with age, he might develop some colour shading on eg his back. Google for the colour point the breeder told you (or look at her site if she has one) to see the resultant mix. I have and it looks (from amid the mix of pictures) as if they stay pretty pale all told.

Have fun at the vets - but be prepared for unrestrained adulation when you take him in.

smile

marzipanned Tue 23-Apr-13 17:48:02

Oh toffee he is gorgeous. I love him standing on his back legs. Lucky you. How sweet that your DH is already smitten with him!

My chatty boy is a rescue moggy, just a noisy one! And he's at least 10 years old and still chirrups away like a bird. (Unless he wants something from the fridge - then it's a long and plaintive miaow)

He will love having his visitors tomorrow - more people to adore and admire him smile

cozietoesie Tue 23-Apr-13 17:50:51

PS - if you haven't got a name yet, try and get one by tomorrow. If you haven't been to a vet before, you are, from now on, an adjunct to the cat and your appointment will be announced not as 'Mrs ToffeeWhirl' but as 'Kittysname ToffeeWhirl'.

smile

PS - if it's any help, we've always found that the more elegant the cat, the more they're suited to house names that might have belonged to a head Victorian gardener - Albert, Herbert, Arthur and so on. grin

Just seen the photos. Awww and envy and squeeeee!!

ToffeeWhirl Tue 23-Apr-13 18:52:58

<basks in kitty adulation>

Oooh, this is as good as showing off a new baby! grin

Very much looking forward to more adulation at the vet's. In fact, I will now be quite cross and disappointed if kitty doesn't receive his dues.

No idea about a name! He still answers to the name of Baby, which is what the breeder calls all her kittens. DH suggested Charlie (as in Charlie from Bali) or Sapphire (for his eyes) and DS1 thought of Bailey. None of them quite fit, although I do quite like Charlie from Bali, simply because it makes me smile. He seems a bit too elegant for a Charlie.

DH and I both like the Victorian Head Gardener idea grin.

cozietoesie Tue 23-Apr-13 19:10:58

I quite like Charlie, actually.

smile

cozietoesie Tue 23-Apr-13 19:12:20

I mean you'll get people calling him a 'proper charlie' but goodness, any name has the possibility of connotations.

They never get called their names in my experience. Sparkling Cat is Alice but gets called 'Pud'. grin

cozietoesie Tue 23-Apr-13 19:13:18

Charlemagne (for grand occasions) and Charlie among family. smile

cozietoesie Tue 23-Apr-13 19:14:20

Or 'You flipping blighter'.

grin

ToffeeWhirl Tue 23-Apr-13 20:41:37

Have had a family discussion about cat names. It got us nowhere as everyone wanted different names <sigh>. DS1 wants Merlin; DS2 wants Snowy. We favour cozi's Victorian gardener name idea grin.

I have put lots of towels and cut-up fleeces into a cardboard box with a door cut into the front and kitty has curled up in there. Am hoping it will make a good bed for tonight. Will spray some Feliway and leave the radio on. Would a hot-water bottle be a step too far or a good and comforting thing for a young kitten?

ToffeeWhirl Tue 23-Apr-13 20:44:34

My best friend, who has kept Siamese cats all her life, has recommended this for a cat bed. All her family cats have used one like this. What do you think?

cozietoesie Tue 23-Apr-13 21:17:23

I would be in two minds about a hottie. A hot one would be uncomfortable to start with and a warm one might get chilly later. On balance, though, I'd go for a medium hot one, wrapped well - if there's plenty room for it. An alternative is to drape a blanket over the top and three sides of the box so that a nice fug builds up.

Can't advise on the pet bed I'm afraid. It looks fine, warm and cuddly - it's just that all my Siamese have slept in real beds so I have no expertise. Why not see how the box pans out?

smile

ToffeeWhirl Tue 23-Apr-13 23:38:51

Well, I have sprayed Feliway into the box, put lots of towels and fleeces down and added a (medium), covered hot-water bottle, with a tee-shirt wrapped round it as well. He has voluntarily gone into the box and curled up! I think it must be the heat that is attracting him.

Off to bed now. Hope kitty sleeps well.

cozietoesie Tue 23-Apr-13 23:42:05

Well done that kitty - and good luck to you all for tonight.

smile

ToffeeWhirl Wed 24-Apr-13 10:56:04

Kitty had a great night - and so did we grin. DH went down at 7am and kitty came out of his box, rubbed his face against him and squawked. He ate a good breakfast, then went back to his box and dozed some more.

He jumped on DS2's lap at breakfast time. DS2 has mostly ignored him so far, but he couldn't ignore this blatant demand for kitten love. I explained that if DS2 spoke to him, the kitten would answer. Saw a little smile on DS2's face - ah ha, he's weakening!

After the school run for DS2, I sat on the sofa and gave kitty loads of love and attention. He was so playful and so incredibly sweet. He clutches at me with his paws and nibbles on my hand, but none of it hurts.

He has been exploring the house this morning, providing a running commentary as he goes. He is now playing chase with an invisible creature in the hall confused. I thought it might be a spider, but there is nothing there!

cozietoesie Wed 24-Apr-13 11:03:14

Probably the end of his tail! hmm Kittens can be utterly daft.

Good news about the peaceful night, kitty's use of his box, and DS2 getting over his fear of cats a little. (A kitten can be great for that being so small and appealing.) Just don't expect that last night's sleeping arrangement will necessarily last - especially if he forms a new bond with DS2. But at least it provides some respite for the time being.

smile

Good luck with the vet later on.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 24-Apr-13 11:13:47

Yes, it gave us all much-needed respite last night - in fact, DS1 hasn't surfaced yet. I'm letting him sleep as long as he wants this morning (though might draw the line if it gets near lunchtime shock).

I will bear in mind that the night arrangements may not always go so smoothly.

Must drag myself away from the kitten lovefest and get some jobs done now <reluctant>.

marzipanned Wed 24-Apr-13 13:40:41

Wonderful, so glad it all went well. There is another thread at the moment from someone who feels guilty about locking her new cat and kitten away at night, maybe you could also go and reassure her!

ToffeeWhirl Wed 24-Apr-13 14:57:24

Thanks, will have a look for that later, marzipan (school run and vet visit first)

Kitty has had a lot of attention today and has now gone into his box and is sleeping peacefully. He looks so serene and beautiful.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 24-Apr-13 19:35:40

Vet trip was great fun. As you predicted, cozi, our new kitten had lots of attention. He was also VERY NOISY whilst we were waiting to be seen blush. It felt a bit like being out in public with a tantrumming toddler <wistful>. Ahh, happy memories.

He has been given a clean bill of health and we will take him in for neutering when he is five or six months. Think we might get him microchipped, even if he does turn out to be an indoor cat - just in case he dashes out the door one day.

Every time we took kitty out in public, people stopped and cooed over him. It really was very like going out with a newborn baby and I enjoyed every minute.

We discussed all sorts of names today, but in the end we went with the simple choice that both our boys agreed on. It was actually DS2's suggestion, so we thought that would be a good thing as it would help him bond with the cat. The name is....Snowy. Not the most original name, but the boys are happy. And DH and I may call him Charlie from Bali in private wink.

Took kitty to visit my MIL, who lives round the corner from the vet's, afterwards. He was a very bold little thing and roamed all over her sitting room, exploring. Wondered if this is because he is secure with us now, so it wasn't quite as frightening being in a new place. I hope so anyway.

I can't find that other thread, marzipan. Can you point me in the right direction?

cozietoesie Wed 24-Apr-13 19:49:11

Well Snowy is a great name! And if it's right for the DSs that's especially just the thing.

Well done the Toffee family.

smile

ToffeeWhirl Wed 24-Apr-13 19:55:42

smile

marzipanned Wed 24-Apr-13 21:09:49

Yay, Snowy. That reminds me of Tintin (in a good way!) What a lovely day your kitty has had.

The other thread is here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1739882-Advice-please

I hope Snowy sleeps just as well tonight as he did last night (and your DS does too!)

ToffeeWhirl Wed 24-Apr-13 22:38:08

Thanks for the thread link, marzipan. And yes, I think that's where DS2 may have found his inspiration, as he loves the Tintin books.

Am also hoping for another good night. Snowy has had lots of attention and cuddles from us all this evening, so - hopefully - will be ready to flake out shortly. Am just making up his hot-water bottle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now