Where does your dog sleep?

(47 Posts)
loopyloou Fri 13-Sep-13 08:32:19

We have a cavalier and she snores very loudly! She usually sleeps in the bedroom, but as well as snoring, has a habit of getting up to swap beds several times a night, with scratching the covers and turning lots of times. It's like sharing a room with a restless baby.

Not sure whether it would be cruel to put her bed somewhere else. She's 4 and a rescue dog, we've had her 3 years.

Steffanoid Fri 13-Sep-13 08:37:02

our jrt slept in the bedroom with us for 2 years, he had his own massive chair! we moved in january and now sleeps in the kitchen we moved him because of me being pregnant (hed have made the cot his bed!) he's well and truly unaffected and nerrily takes himself off to bed most nights smile

Spero Fri 13-Sep-13 08:37:17

Mine sleeps on the bed, I sleep fine as she doesn't snore or seem to move much. I don't think it would be 'cruel' to move your dog to sleep elsewhere as long as it is warm and comfortable. It might take time to adjust but sounds worth trying if current situation is interfering with your sleep.

cedar12 Fri 13-Sep-13 08:39:46

My dog has a bed in the kitchen but usually doesn't move off the sofa!

ErrolTheDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 08:40:50

Our dog sleeps in the utility room - we had a space left under the counter for his bed. He'd be a nightmare to sleep with - as we discovered on holiday, he likes to get up and noisily shake his ears and then pretend he can't get back on the bed and whine to be lifted.
So when we're on hols now we bring the soft crate which we use in the car anyway into the bedroom and he goes in there - that stops him fussing.

You might want to try something like that rather than cold turkey putting her in another room. If you can get her accustomed to sleeping in a crate (with a mattress/covers etc - its a contained dog bed not a cage!) that might help with the restlessness and then you can gradually move it out to escape the snoring.

loopyloou Fri 13-Sep-13 08:41:15

Yes it's interfering with our sleep. I would if course provide her with (several) warm beds!! I might put her in the living room with the cats - they'll probably drive her crazy with their playing! grin

HoneyDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 08:43:12

She has a bed and sofa in the conservatory. But mostly sleeps on my chair in the kitchen and the kitchen table too the sneaky bastard

birdofthenorth Fri 13-Sep-13 08:45:43

On the sofa in the living room. Not ideal- we come down to cushions everywhere and a dusty sofa. We've tried getting them (2 labradoodles) ti sleep in proper dig beds in the kitchen but they just spend all night trying to break into the living room.

CMOTDibbler Fri 13-Sep-13 08:47:09

Mine sleeps in his crate in the sitting room. He's too big to sleep in our bed!

GemmaTeller Fri 13-Sep-13 08:49:41

On a mahoosive three person bean bag in the lounge - boxers are notorious snorers so they can't sleep in the bedroom.

Big dog - on the settee
Little dog - in my bed

blush

Yoghurty Fri 13-Sep-13 08:56:20

Both dogs sleep in their crates in the living room.

Well, except for Friday and Saturday nights when little dog sleeps on the sofa and big dog sleeps in his other bed in the hallway.

The only reason for this is that they sleep in longer with this arrangement and we get weekend lie ins grin

Casanunda Fri 13-Sep-13 09:32:03

Mahoosive dog has a bed in the dining room, but is usually found in the lounge; spaniel face sleeps on the bed with us - and between him and my beloved, the snoring is wall-rattling! Big dog can't get up the stairs anymore, bless him, which is probably just as well, there'd be no bloody room on the bed for me!

flowery Fri 13-Sep-13 09:38:11

In the utility room. He's not allowed upstairs at all except when he needs a bath.

HoneyDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 10:27:52

It's interesting that you an train a dog a dog to do amazing things, yet that remain resolute and stubborn about where they sleep and what time is bed time.

flowery Fri 13-Sep-13 10:31:48

If our dog didn't have a bedtime routine and a particular room/place he gets put to bed, he would whine up the stairs waiting for us to come back down, and there is also the risk that a noise somewhere would cause him to bark right underneath the DC.

Don't see what's "stubborn" about a bedtime and a bed place.

GobblersKnob Fri 13-Sep-13 10:36:46

In our bed under the covers.

Mine both sleep in their beds in the kitchen at night. The spaniel would spend all night patrolling upstairs and bogging out of windows if he was left loose. The pup would probably sleep quite happily on someone's bed, but as he still sometimes likes to crap on the carpet, it's a no from me.

Floralnomad Fri 13-Sep-13 10:41:30

Mine sleeps in his alcove in the hall on a pile of blankets , he doesn't have a bed time ,he goes to bed when we do and he will lie in in the morning until whatever time we get up .

HoneyDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 10:56:14

Floral, I meant it as an endearing quality.

I had to move one of my dogs bed once when our ceilings fell in as the water and leaked.

Her initial reaction was you want be to sleep where? shock

This is a dog that travelled with us EVERYWHERE with no trouble, but at home you did not move the bed

She won. She broke into the kitchen and slept under the hole hmm grin

Steffanoid Fri 13-Sep-13 10:59:13

oh and I do have to add he gets very upset if he doesn't get tucked in with his flowery blanket and foxy toy

loopyloou Fri 13-Sep-13 13:34:42

Thanks for all the replies smile

Our dog would love to sleep on our bed and will jump up if one if us moves in the night.

I'm relieved to hear that other dogs sleep alone and will try her in the lounge with the cats tonight.

passmetheprozac Fri 13-Sep-13 13:38:35

Two big dogs share my bed and I wouldn't have it any other waysmile

liquidstate Fri 13-Sep-13 13:45:44

In the kennel in the garden. Unless is minus numbers on the thermometer in which case he can sleep in the utility room.

Awks Fri 13-Sep-13 14:24:38

In the kitchen in his crate. Dogs on beds, urgh but then thats cos outs is a smelly dog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now