Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on the newest Pointy Hounds cushion!

(995 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sun 03-Feb-13 22:15:26

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound).

Share advice, stories and shopping tips!
AK Creations
GRWE shop
Our very own Scuttle's Milgi coats
Silver Peacock

Jake
I didn’t really want you,
I wasn’t really sure,
And I’ll admit I had my doubts,
When you first came through that door.

Not small, or cute, or fluffy,
With big, soft puppy eyes,
But tall, and thin, and bony,
With bald, pink, bulging thighs.

You weren’t the kind I had in mind,
Not in any way,
“Perhaps it would be better if I took you back today,
Before we know each other,
It really won’t be kind,
To keep you here for one more day,
And then to change my mind.”

But against my better judgement, I decided you could stay,
And quickly I discovered you were kind in every way,
Your gentleness and patience, they really stole the show,
“Why these dogs are wonderful, I must let others know!”

For you’re my gentle giant,
Who just needed the chance,
To show us all what you could be,
To wipe away that history,
And dispel our preconceptions, which put us all to shame,
And so we come to know and love,
What lies beneath that frame.

And now I’ve come to understand,
What I missed right at the start,
That greyhounds need that great deep chest,
To house their great big hearts!
By Denise Dubarbier
smile

Welcome Ana!

Magrat, you are braver than me. grin DH was doing the order on the weekend for our next delivery of frozen raw food. We are trying out a new supplier this time a bit closer to us. We ummed and ahhed and have chosen some venison, some rabbit, some chicken and tripe mix, but he asked me if I wanted to add some green tripe to the order and I chickened out. blush I'm OK with bones, with raw wibbly bits, but it's the smell with tripe.

Moose, it's impressive that you feed raw being a veggie yourself.

I agree entirely about the benefits of being a multi hound home - have been an advocate for a while. grin

MagratGarlik Tue 14-May-13 13:31:22

I've also been veggie for 25 years, but I'm OK with the dogs eating meat - I've found that the green tripe is OK so long as it's fairly fresh and kept covered all the time. I can stomach that more than liver which I can't quite bring myself to feed them.

They do love their tripe though (and I can mix seaweed extract in it so they don't notice for extra minerals).

mistlethrush Tue 14-May-13 13:32:19

We feed the occasional raw meal - I can just about cope with fishing out some chicken wings for mistlehound (DH cooks any meat that he and DS want and I have nothing to do with it at all). It doesn't seem to throw things out and I'm hoping it will help to keep her teeth a bit cleaner.

Thinking about it, I might nip home via the supermarket to get some more for her as well as some toothbrush heads for DS grin

moosemama Tue 14-May-13 13:50:34

Scuttlebutter, I just look at it the same way as I do feeding my dcs. They all deserve the best diet I can muster for them. I don't like feeding my dcs junk food, so it follows that I feed my dogs species appropriate, healthy food. Feeding raw also made a massive difference to oldgirl's skin troubles.

We did actually switch to dried food when we moved back down to the Midlands from Lancashire, purely because we couldn't find a friendly butcher. Fortunately, our village greengrocers opened a butchers as well and they have been fantastic at getting really good quality meat and bones for us at decent prices. We don't have room for a chest freezer and can only buy in relatively small amounts, so he buys in a batch for us, keeps it in his freezer and we pick some up every weekend - top bloke he is. smile

I am such a wimp though, I can't even stand the way green tripe looks and no matter how fresh it is, I can't get past the smell. I am the same with any offal, but can cope with it enough to make liver cake and feed it in small doses. envy (Have to use my Mum's oven to make the liver cake though.)

Dh is made of stronger stuff than me. He only became veggie initially because I refused to cook meat for him (he now knows his place, given I will handle meat for my dogs wink) but even he dislikes handling tripe.

We are really missing being a multi-dog house - never been multi-hound, but am really excited at the prospect. I thought it felt odd going from three to two - but it's so quiet with only one dog in the house, it just doesn't feel right. Oldgirl suffered from chronic malassezia pachydermitis and was atopic, so she was always wriggling around, scratching etc. She use to drive me batty thumping her leg up and down in her bed scratching and making disgusting snuffly noises - never thought I'd miss those sounds. sad

I have even seen a couple of lovely adult lurchers that seem like they'd be ok with the dcs, so am re-thinking the whole puppy vs adult debate (either would be rescue by the way).

Given the choice, I think dh would stick with only one dog, but lurcherboy has other ideas and is clearly missing canine company. Not to mention, dh knows:

a) there's no point in disagreeing with me when it comes to dogs grin and
b) he will be as daft over the newest family member as I am the minute he sets eyes on it. grin

MagratGarlik Tue 14-May-13 13:59:34

There is a lovely fawn coloured whippet girl in rescue in Northampton, that's only a little further south than the Midlands.....

moosemama Tue 14-May-13 15:08:28

Northampton isn't far at all from me - but sadly we are still not quite ready, so I have to comfort myself with perusing the rescue sites and being cheered by all the 'happy homing' stories. Harrumph!

Moose - if you are in the midlands, I can strongly recommend Evesham Greyhound And Lurcher Rescue. I do transport runs for them regularly and was due to have the swoonsome Maggie for a short holiday with us (but she was adopted the week before!). They always have the most wonderful selection of dogs especially lurchers.

Funnily enough I am seeing their foster co-ordinator on Saturday - delivering a gorgeous Saluki mix from his kennels to his new foster home then going for lunch in a nice dog friendly pub in Chipping Norton. Fab. One of the lovely benefits of being involved with sighthound rescue is that you get to meet so many really fabulous people - it acts as a very necessary counterweight to the not so nice people who are often responsible for the sighthounds needing rescue in the first place.

moosemama Tue 14-May-13 16:05:39

They're already in my 'new hound' folder on my desktop Scuttle. grin

I'm not allowed to drive due to my neuro condition, so can't get about to meet other pointy dog owners and there don't seem to be many around here. Did spot a rather gorgeous lurcher being walked down our road a couple of times last week though, so am hoping to strategically bump into them sometime soon.

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 14-May-13 19:04:00

Hi Ana! Black dogs in the house here too. Just working on our recent addition's dull coat at the moment. We are eating a lot of pilchards and adding fish oil to their food. And grooming furiously.

We have a lot of very aged gents (or probably geezers given the local demographic) who raced dogs as amateurs back when there was a dog track in our local park. The general consensus is that to make your black dog's coat shine, you should rub it with a newspaper. wink

The dogs sleep with us moosemama in our dark, dark bedroom. DH is getting home vv late tonight so he can let them out at about 1am. Here's hoping for a rest tomorrow!

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 14-May-13 19:07:18

Re. the two dog house. DH was as anti as he could be. Then we discussed how depressed a friend of his was because he spends his life waiting for the 'perfect' moment to do things, the 'perfect' woman etc. And came to the conclusion 'if you don't try you'll never know'. At which point I slipped in the idea of trying a second dog. And he agreed to a trial.

And she's not gone back!

mistlethrush Wed 15-May-13 10:53:56

Having had three black dogs prior to my two tan dogs, its much easier to get a good gloss on a black dog than a tan one. The only time they really do look scruffy is when they've got dandruff from all the shedding at coat change time. Tan dogs don't have the reflective benefits so never look so shiny. We were quite prepared to have a black dog this time, but it wasn't to be.

MagratGarlik Wed 15-May-13 11:15:13

Mistle, that is the same reason as why they usually use dark haired models for shampoo ads.

Our tiger stripped girl never looks quite as shiny as our black boy, even though when they are both in the sun you can see they both have good coats.

I am currently being ignored by both who having got full tummies are now power-snoring.

moosemama Wed 15-May-13 16:07:48

I have been shopping this afternoon and bought lurcherboy a lovely blanket made of that supersoft long-pile fleece that they make children's dressing-gowns out of, in a gorgeous bright blue. Only £6.00 at Dunelm as well.

Just noticed these and these on their website too. Not bad for £2.99. Didn't see them in store though.

Came home, put in in his basket and he almost knocked me over in his haste to get in and snuggle down. grin Much hilarious wriggling, burrowing and general schnuggling went on before he finally snuggled down looking beyond content and snoozy. smile

He has memory a memory foam and borg fleece base plus vet bedding in the other bed, but definitely preferred his new blanket.

He's off to kennels on Friday and I am so worried about him going without oldgirl for the first time. I know he loves it there. I know the owners and staff love him, feed him too many treats, play endless games with him and generally spoil him rotten and he drags us into his run when we drop him off, but all the same, I'm worried about how he'll be on his own. sad

Oh Moose, it's terrible how we fret over them when they go to kennels. We are exactly the same, and DH is even worse than me. The last time, he (DH) made sure the two boys had their extra duvets from home and spent ages tenderly arranging it in their kennel, much to the interest of the lady who runs the place. We are having to do a few short stays for the boys this year, as we can't take all 4 greys to some of the long distance shows and we can't ask PIL to dog sit for all of them, though they are very kind and do a few for us.

mistlethrush Fri 17-May-13 09:06:49

Is anyone doing the Warwick ish show in June (Brailles?) I can't see that far ahead, but would quite like to go to a proper lurchery event...

I am shattered shydog had me waking up hourly to let her out last night, she has diarrhoea. sad I'm thinking it's due to the worming treatment I gave her, does that seem likely? She's okay in herself but haven't put her breakfast down, have just left water out and will see how she gets on.

As tired as I am I'm glad she didn't "go" in the house!

I like those fluffy fleeces smile - may have to have a wander to dunelm!

I was worrying what to do regarding our holiday too but my lovely mum has offered to take the week off to look after shydog, so pleased as I'd have felt so guilty putting her in kennels.

MagratGarlik Sat 18-May-13 19:43:06

Sorry to hear your dog is poorly, yourhand, I hope she is feeling better soon. If she's otherwise seeming OK in herself, I wouldn't worry too much - ours periodically get dicky tums too but it never seems to last long (its usually when they've been scavenging in the park again, despite best efforts to stop them).

We bought a frame tent today so that we can throw children and dogs in a car and go to the seaside when/if the weather gets better. I wonder what the dogs will make of it! I have a feeling they may look at us with long faces smile. Suggestions for nice, dog-friendly camp-sites gratefully received.

Magrat, there's the Camping and Exploring with Dogs (the wonderful Cat Greyhound) - see here

MagratGarlik Sat 18-May-13 21:29:56

Cool - thanks, Scuttle.

moosemama Mon 20-May-13 18:42:41

Sorry to hear your dog has been poorly yourhand. Hope she's feeling better now.

Well, lurcherboy survived the kennels without oldgirl for the first time. He was really happy to go in - as usual - and had a ridiculous amount of love and attention from the head girl so he was fine when we left him.

Picked him up this afternoon and he was hilarious. They went to fetch him for me and as they came round the corner at the bottom of the hill, he stopped dead, his ears went up, head on one side as he tried to work out if it really was me standing at the top. Then his tail started to go, followed by his backside - then I said "hello baby" and he dragged the poor kennel hand all the way up the very steep hill to reach me! grin

Apparently he hasn't done any howling, but his front legs are spiky and his beard discoloured, which means either he was mega drooly after his run today or he's been stress drooling. Not sure which, but he didn't seem stressy when we collected him, so hoping it was the former, rather than the latter.

He has been my shadow since we got home, but has now finally left my side to conk out in his bed. He always sleeps for about 24 hours straight after he goes to kennels - I don't think he gets much sleep while he's there, through all the over-stimulation of watching the other dogs and listening to their constant barking.

Dh, dd and I had a fantastic time at a music festival, dancing to all manner of nostalgic bands, which does mean I now can't walk on my bad foot - but it was worth it. I have also, somehow, managed to come home with an ear and throat infection, which means I can't shout at the dcs - much to their delight. hmm I thought I'd just strained my voice shouting and wailing singing along to The Levellers last night, but apparently not, as it's spread further and further into my ear canal as the day has gone on. hmm

Magrat we went to a fantastic small campsite in Pembrokeshire a couple of years back that took dogs. The people that run it our lovely, but they do have chickens and other small furries in one paddock, so you have to be extra careful with pointies. (We only took my Wheaten Terrier when we went and she was geriatric and only interested in sleeping and dinner time by then.) Can't remember the name of the place, but will dig out the details later for you.

moosemama Mon 20-May-13 18:46:50

sad It was this site but apparently they've stopped accepting dogs since we went. Such a shame, as it's an amazing place, but does get very booked up. Often people book for the next year as they leave their summer holidays. Sorry.

TheCunnyFunt Mon 20-May-13 19:43:45

Hello everyone smile I've been very lazy in not coming back for ages blush

I'm working on getting Sprockets coat extra shiny for the summer and any shows we might be going to, what else can I give him apart from oily fish?

Also, had a very happy moment today, DP came home and Sprocket whined at him and wagged his tail, DP did his special monkey scrub that Sprocket loves so much and he just went mad! Rolled over on the sofa and started hitting at DP with his paws grinning his head off smile rolled back over, sprang off the sofa and ran round in circles, leapt up onto the other sofa, hid behind me grin I got up so then he started doing circles on the sofa I'd just vacated, he then knocked my full glass of lemonade off my side table and scared himself half to death and sobered up grin
It was lovely because he's never played like that with us before in the 15.5 months we've had him, he does half heartedly play (well, does zoomies around you) in the garden but never as madly as that!

I'm also sneakily training him, I bought a treat pouch on wednesday and keep it on my belt, I randomly call him to me and when he comes to me I give him a treat out the pouch smile he's getting noticeably quicker at coming to me already! So proud of him smile

Well shydog still has a poorly tummy so we are off to the vets today! She seemed to improve on sunday and then went back to full blown diarrhoea again Monday. sad Whilst I have no problem picking up dog poo, dealing with doggy diarrhoea is turning my stomach. (yuk)

Your weekend sounds fab moosemama. Hope your throat and ear soon get better.

I'm interested in dog friendly places too, am learning to drive and can't wait to be able to go camping again, and have nice days out further afield.

Cunny sprocket's zoomies sound funny. Mine doesn't play much either but likes to zoomie around the garden excitedly, and sometimes likes to throw a toy in the air. smile

So, is anyone else going to the Greyhound Extravaganza at the weekend?

We'll be there with the Tent of Destiny, Norty Minx and her sister. smile

TheCunnyFunt Tue 21-May-13 18:02:25

Wish I was sad Dog o nine tails are going, the woman that runs it is an LGT owner (I think). She does lovely collars and things smile

YourHand how is shydog? What did the vet say?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now