Call the midwife

(43 Posts)
MumofthreeandBean Wed 26-Oct-16 07:26:44

I love this! Not back on until Christmas and sad we will miss Chummy for another series, apparently Miranda is too busy for filming.

I have read the books too.

such an amazing drama, hard to believe it was this way only half a century ago, things have changed so much!

DiegeticMuch Sat 29-Oct-16 22:04:06

I know! I was born in the 1970s but a couple of my cousins were born during that period - it's hard to believe that "my" generation was born into that era.

The story of Conchita (the monoglot Spaniard with 18 children) was the one that stuck with me, both from the book and the series. Also, the workhouse siblings who ended up living as a couple. And the thalidomide thing was chilling.

MollyRedskirts Sat 29-Oct-16 22:07:49

It's such a good show. I had gestational diabetes and my nan was fascinated by my blood testing meter and insulin pens. She was a nurse during that time, and the episode with the pregnant type 1 diabetic girl got it spot on what it was like treating diabetes, apparently.

MumofthreeandBean Tue 01-Nov-16 16:13:33

Conchita warren always sticks with me too! I think about her often, that teeny tiny little baby that she fed with drops of milk.

I cried so many times watching and reading the stories.

ShelaghTurner Tue 01-Nov-16 16:30:35

Conchita Warren is my favourite mother too. And Rhoda Mullucks with the little thalidomide baby.

They've just finished filming, roll on Christmas Day!

ShelaghTurner Tue 01-Nov-16 16:31:27

It's highly unlikely Chummy will be back. She cancelled filming right at the last moment this year causing lots of rewrites. I doubt they'd risk that again.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 01-Nov-16 16:35:00

I can't wait for this to start again, I've just watched the series of the start in readiness!

I love Conchita's story and the lady that delivers onboard a cargo ship. Apparently that story is very true to life in those times (who knew!)

ChickyDuck Tue 01-Nov-16 16:35:23

It's back!? Oh I'm so happy!! For some reason I thought the last series was the end and there would be no more! Thank you so micxh for pointing this out, you've made my day grin

Groovee Tue 01-Nov-16 16:36:48

I recently rewatched on Netflix. Forgot how good the first episodes were

AntiHop Tue 01-Nov-16 16:40:07

I read the books before it became a TV show. So sad. It's amazing how much things have changed.

DiegeticMuch Tue 01-Nov-16 17:47:56

What I love most about this show is that it has no "star". So, when Jessica Raine/Miranda Hart/Pam Ferris decide to leave, superb as they are it doesn't really matter, because there is so much talent left behind. Every actor is well-trained, and perfect for theIr role.

MumofthreeandBean Wed 02-Nov-16 07:13:53

I had forgotton the cargo ship story line!!

I think I may rewatch them all for the forth time 😂

BikeRunSki Wed 02-Nov-16 07:21:32

Do you think they will expand the Thalidomide story? As I remember, they were just beginning to make the link at the end of the last series.

ShelaghTurner Wed 02-Nov-16 07:38:31

Yes, the thalidomide story will continue.

Sorry, I'm a total CTM bore blush

amysmummy12345 Wed 02-Nov-16 07:42:53

Can't wait for new episodes!

BikeRunSki Wed 02-Nov-16 07:51:48

You'd never guess from your name Shelagh smile

MumofthreeandBean Wed 02-Nov-16 08:13:54

I got my hubby into call the midwife, at first he wasn't interested now he's the one asking when it's back on 😂

I love the storyline with the vicar too, so sweet

NoTeaForMe Wed 02-Nov-16 11:44:08

Do we know when it's back?
I don't remember the Conchita Warren storyline...can someone remind me?

Imnotaslimjim Wed 02-Nov-16 11:49:01

Conchita was from series 1 ep1. She was pregnant with baby no26 even though she looked about 35 (apparently was 14 or younger when she had her first and had 2 sets of twins)

She had an accident in the back yard at 30 weeks (I think) and got concussion then went into labour. The baby was born still, or so they thought. While dealing with the aftermath of the birth, the baby started to cry. Conchita then refused to allow the baby to go to hospital and nursed him at home. While all that is going on, it becomes apparent that she speaks spanish and her husband speaks english and they never actually converse!

Imnotaslimjim Wed 02-Nov-16 11:50:18

And it's back on Christmas Day for the special then likely 2nd or 3rd week of January

ShelaghTurner Wed 02-Nov-16 12:33:08

I think I've met my match ^^ winkgrin

Imnotaslimjim Wed 02-Nov-16 13:38:05

Very possibly Shelagh, I know every episode practically word for word. It's on Netflix again but its annoying me because they've trimmed bits out!

ShelaghTurner Wed 02-Nov-16 14:01:30

Don't start me on that! Three years we've been waiting for a turnadette kiss and an acquaintance in the Netherlands comes along last week with a cut scene from the 2014 Christmas special and there it is angry

And yy to reciting every word!

Imnotaslimjim Wed 02-Nov-16 14:15:49

No way!! Wish I could see that. I've streamed a couple of episodes from the first series online and there is bits in that have been trimmed. There is a scene in episode 3 where Chummy keeps falling off her bike and there is a trimmed scene with Sr Evangelina where she explains about her wanting to be a missionary. Makes much more sense with it in.

MumofthreeandBean Wed 02-Nov-16 14:29:03

Buy the DVDs!! No cuts!
My first series DVD is wearing out!!

Sister Monica Joan storyline was so emotional!! I cried loads at the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now