posh nannies/norland

(36 Posts)
seasidesally Thu 17-Jul-14 21:02:17

gonna watch this love all that old fashioned theme

seasidesally Thu 17-Jul-14 21:05:36

they do look smart and theirs no mistaking them

as much as i hate the notion of only for the rich,privileged,royalty i find the whole thing fasinating

jellyandsoup Thu 17-Jul-14 21:11:10

What channel.is it on?

pissedoffatthiswebsite Thu 17-Jul-14 21:13:17

ITV

littleSpud Thu 17-Jul-14 21:14:34

Ooh I'm watching this

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 17-Jul-14 21:22:12

Recording this so marking place.

pissedoffatthiswebsite Thu 17-Jul-14 21:23:16

Not sure i'd want my nanny driving my kids like that!!

seasidesally Thu 17-Jul-14 21:23:23

its nice to see them having fun,they always look so controlled in their uniforms,that's the purpose i guess

dashoflime Thu 17-Jul-14 21:29:16

I plan to stream it later. My Nana was in service before the war and tells hair raising stories of the strict nannies. Her and the other maids used to listen outside the nursury door and cry for the kids left in their charge. "Ill get a mean nanny for you" was a threat for naughty children in my family.
I will watch with interest.

Fairylea Thu 17-Jul-14 21:37:40

They all seem genuinely very nice... I wish I had the money to have one!

cathpip Thu 17-Jul-14 21:37:52

I know a Norland trained nanny, she is now a grandmother and the most fabulous lady I know, I would leave any of my dc with her without hesitation. She is also a child magnet, any child she is around is just drawn to her. Am loving this programme smile

pissedoffatthiswebsite Thu 17-Jul-14 21:43:36

I've come into contact with a few norlanders and most are lovely professional nannies. Some seem to just want to work for famous people/royals and have all the perks. The children seem to come second. It frustrates me that they are portrayed as the only professional nannies as if all others aren't. It's an interesting programme though

dashoflime Thu 17-Jul-14 21:51:19

Well times change- I'm sure its all very different from my Nannas time. There did used to be some pretty austere ideas about childcare in the past.

shakethetree Thu 17-Jul-14 21:56:44

Fantastic programme - wish I could afford one!
Although I'm sure there are some lowly childminders who are just as good.

seasidesally Thu 17-Jul-14 21:59:15

they do all seem fantastic

quite an achievement to keep the brand name in such high regard after all these years

pissedoffatthiswebsite Thu 17-Jul-14 22:00:11

I think that's the thing, having norland training doesn't necessarily make a good nanny. The girls in the programme seem like they are in it for the right reasons.

Kundry Thu 17-Jul-14 22:07:58

I went to Norlands nursery and have many happy memories of being child there. We weren't posh, just in the 70s there weren't many childcare options if both parents worked. Norlands happened to be on my Dad's way to work. As the trainees all lived in, it was open all the time. They even had a 'children's hotel' if both parents were away.

The nannies in training were utterly lovely and I used to tell my parents I wanted to go every day. There were no 'mean nannies' but neither did we behave badly - they were just fabulous at childcare.

shakethetree Thu 17-Jul-14 22:07:59

Indeed - it's the 'brand' name people are paying for, ( waiting for the green man before crossing the road is basic common sense when you have children,) but they all seemed genuinely lovely & so enthusiastic, although I'm sure quite a few only enter into Norland to land a job with the rich & famous.

libertytrainers Thu 17-Jul-14 22:14:11

did they all have mulberry handbags? they command so much more money than 'normal' childcare graduates, maybe i'm just an old cynic but it seems a bit twee in this day and age

Fairylea Thu 17-Jul-14 22:18:01

Can men be norlanders? Dh says he wants to do it smile (he's being daft really, it just got me wondering).

evelynj Thu 17-Jul-14 22:23:16

What do they get paid & how much is training-anyone know?

When I worked in Bath I was intrigued every time I saw them. Don't know much about them - will probably try to watch the programme on catch up if I remember

shakethetree Thu 17-Jul-14 22:27:46

Starting salary £25,000 pa but they can expect £60,000 ( & much more in some cases ) after a few years experience.

sunnyrosegarden Thu 17-Jul-14 22:28:41

I've just sat and watched this with a real live, old school, Norland Nanny! Apparently it's not like the old days.

nannynome Thu 17-Jul-14 22:29:46

They have had a couple of men go through Norlands. Salary for probationers is 17kish if residential, 23-28k daily, fully qualified norlanders are £34k - 60k top end for daily. To train there costs £13000 a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now