BROADCHURCH mon 9pm itv

(1000 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Sat 02-Mar-13 12:31:11

sexy david tennant 'blonde drools' plays a police officer who investigate a childs body found on the beach sad

Jossysgiants Thu 28-Mar-13 21:00:58

Could it be based on Jude the Obscure? I think on the other thread they have mentioned it seemed to be significant that the newsagent was reading it. Alec hardy . The reference to the book by the newsagent. ' Tis Hardy country. In which case from a careful review of Wikipedia it must be Tom ( with Danny and Chloe as his younger half siblings.) or even Ollie if he is Ellie's husband's illegitimate son.

< obsessed and carried away>

Echocave Thu 28-Mar-13 22:50:07

Jossysgiants - wow! That is a theory and a half....

Slainte Thu 28-Mar-13 22:52:37

There's another thread Jossy?

XBenedict Thu 28-Mar-13 23:02:42

Mumsnet detectives - Broadchurch is the name of the other thread. I've just posted my theory on there. I think Beth is having an affair with Ellie's husband and he is the father of her baby. Puts him at the top of my murder suspect list too but I do like Jossy's Jude the Obscure theory just not sure it'll be that clever.

StrangerintheNight Fri 29-Mar-13 00:05:57

Ok, the crossbow is obviously not the murder weapon but how about Noige uses it to puncture fuel tanks for his and Pauline Quirke's diesel theft operation.

(I've even checked on a diesel theft prevention website that this isn't a totally stupid idea)

Love the Inspector Morse style obsession with tying plot into that of a classic novel, but that usually led him down the wrong path, so don't get your hopes up Jossy

Jossysgiants Fri 29-Mar-13 06:30:42

grin I was feeling very confident about the theory after several glasses of wine last night. Ollie is still my number 1 suspect at the moment though.

Xbenedict, I agree with you about Beth's baby.

Since others have said the music has clues am off to read the lyrics of the closing song 'people by the people'

fruitstick Fri 29-Mar-13 08:09:52

Can we merge the two threads together.

My money's on boys blackmailing vicar or plumber's mate or the entire village!

bigbadbarry Fri 29-Mar-13 10:52:47

FWIW I don't think Beth is having an affair. I think the pregnancy is complicated because things are not good at home.

diddl Fri 29-Mar-13 11:00:24

Where is the other thread?

DramaInPyjamas Fri 29-Mar-13 12:40:02

I like the 'Jude The Obscure' theory from others on this thread and on the other thread I think that will be the way the story will eventually go now thinking about it.

'Jude..' Written by Thomas Hardy - characters in Broadchurch called TOM and HARDY

Both have characters called Sue/Susan

Both focus on a child murder/ pregnancy storyline

Any other similarities? Been so long since I read it.

DramaInPyjamas Fri 29-Mar-13 12:42:21

diddl

The other thread is called Mumsnetter detectives - Broadchurch

I can't link, I am in my phone
It's in Chat.

diddl Fri 29-Mar-13 13:06:32

Thanks found it

XBenedict Fri 29-Mar-13 19:50:39

'Jude..' Written by Thomas Hardy - characters in Broadchurch called TOM and HARDY

Also Hardy often referred to the Broad Church in his writings - if it's not a Jude the Obscure/Thomas Hardy link they'll be bloody kicking themselves after they discover this thread! grin

bigbadbarry Fri 29-Mar-13 21:30:49

In Jude, doesn't one of the children kill his siblings then himself? Hard to imagine how they will make that fit.

difficultpickle Fri 29-Mar-13 22:03:32

Maybe the daughter and her boyfriend have more of a role then?

fruitstick Fri 29-Mar-13 22:51:17

Can't help picturing the writers at Kudos saying 'chuck in a couple of Hardy references, Mumsnet will lap that shit up'

fruitstick Fri 29-Mar-13 22:52:29

But given Hardy's skepticism over organised religion, my money's still on the vicar grin

ChocsAwayInMyGob Sat 30-Mar-13 09:10:08

In Jude The Obscure the eldest child killed the others and himself (by hanging or strangling I think) and left a note that said "Done because we are too many".

It is without doubt the most depressing book I have ever read.

fruitstick Sat 30-Mar-13 09:17:26

Actually, I've been thinking about Ollie.

He sent that tweet about Danny after seeing Chloe place the Teddy.

I don't reckon that's enough information to go on, even for an ambitious journalist.

Chances are it could have been any of Danny's friends and an older sister would do that on finding out.

I reckon he knew & was just looking for the first plausible sign to 'publish'

SESthebrave Mon 01-Apr-13 09:08:02

Am finding this thread as fascinating as the programme itself!

Also feeling a bit uneducated as I've never read Jude the Obscure. All the links that have been suggested though must mean there is a connection!

I'm gutted as we're off to visit ILs in Ireland today so not sure I'll get to see it tonight. I may have to wait until we're back at the weekend for catch up.

armagh Mon 01-Apr-13 11:24:16

UTV in ireland shows it. Unless bloody upc breaks down again!

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Apr-13 20:10:40

Is it 9pm tonight???

greenhill Mon 01-Apr-13 20:13:39

Yes, are you watching too?

IShallWearMidnight Mon 01-Apr-13 20:14:26

clashes with Jonathan Creek sad

greenhill Mon 01-Apr-13 20:16:42

That is precisely why iPlayer was invented midnight

This thread is not accepting new messages.