Strictly Come Dancing 2012 Thread 4. Sparkly and shiny and MAHR-VO-LOUS!

(998 Posts)
AndiMac Sun 18-Nov-12 13:01:44

Just starting a new thread before tonight's elimination, as I'm sure we'll all have something to say about that.

LetUsPrey Mon 03-Dec-12 23:53:56

I've probably misunderstood but is this Craig thing from the weekend shows or from tonight's ITT? I'm watching ITT now having recorded it earlier tonight.

Re Dani: Heel turns blah blah

"I'm waiting for that spark, that thing you can't describe, something ..., I want her to go out on an edge, I want it/her (not clear) to be a little bit more dangerous, that's all, that's what I meant by that, you know it's very difficult to explain all that in 10 seconds as you know, but it's a beautiful routine, she's a fantastic and phenomenal dancer, I just want to see her walk the tightrope a little bit more."

Talking about dance fusion now - finished.

He's said that Lisa needs to have a longer neck.

Anyway, my favourite routine from Saturday not surprisingly was Louis and Flavia's. grin

Has anyone seen the Guardian SCD blog? I'll see if I can find a link.

LetUsPrey Mon 03-Dec-12 23:58:20

This is from this weekend.

AndiMac Tue 04-Dec-12 00:08:22

Ooh, it's nearly like reading the MN thread, how fun! Thanks for the link.

LetUsPrey Tue 04-Dec-12 00:12:19

My younger sister sent me a link to it. I've read through a few of them, but she says the Wemberleeeeeee one is brilliantgrin.

However, I've just noticed the time and I really should go to bed!

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 12:20:15

If it has to be part ballroom and part latin, then surely the music must be different for each, unless it is 2 slow romantic types such as the foxtrot and the rumba both have 4/4 timing.
The Waltz is 3/4 / Vien. is 6/8 - Can't think of any Latin dance with the same ?
Did Len say it will be the same piece of music for both, think he did?
And trying to remember who has not done what yet?

AndiMac Tue 04-Dec-12 12:24:05

I'm pretty sure they said it would be the same piece of music, so that might limit the dance choices.

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 12:32:33

Yes - imagine doing a waltz and a jive to the same music - disasterous !!
Jive and quickstep OK
Tango + ??

Oh well, something to wonder about, unless it is shown on ITT with their training this week.

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 12:54:17

Just watched the blog link and re the FUSION Dance " It already has a stupid hand dance. Hate it already"

Something to really look forward to then !!!??

AndiMac Tue 04-Dec-12 13:37:54

Was just looking at something about Dancing With the Stars, the U.S. version of Strictly, and they did a fusion this season. I looked on YouTube and it gives me a bit of hope of this Saturday being interesting.

Rumba-Samba fusion

AndiMac Tue 04-Dec-12 13:40:11
franklyidontgiveadamn Tue 04-Dec-12 14:23:21

Right. Had a chance to watch ITT now and got the gist of it. Digerd you got Dani and Lisa mixed up - as Lettuspray reported above he raved about Dani, said she's phenomenal etc and just wishes she'd go out on the edge a bit more to really blow him away.

The neck comment was made in relation to Lisa - what he said is that for ballroom 'you do have to have a much much longer neck, a lot more grace, a lot more poise' - i.e. not that the person has to have a long neck but that the posture you create needs to involve holding your head and neck in a longer position etc which is something she seems to find diffucult technically.

His comments were mostly pretty accurate although i'm still baffled why he liked Kimberley's jive so much. I even agreed with him about Louis' charleston despite how much I love Louis so I'll stop fuming in his direction now.

Like the sound of the fusion, I think it will help to perk up the dances and be a good test of the proffs as well as the celebs.

ppeatfruit Tue 04-Dec-12 14:37:04

Thanks a lot for the live blog letusprey and the fusions from America Andimac They looked really difficult for the celebs. looks like the ante is being raised this weekend.

Ref. the way Lisa is talked about I really don't think that Craig is being fattist it's just true that her 'Line' is a bit blurred and when they're ALL so good it's something that would mark her down (wouldn't happen if her dancing wasn't so good IYSWIM.) It applies to Danni much less IMO I agree with whoever said upthread that her dresses don't help her very much.

AndiMac Tue 04-Dec-12 14:48:56

Oh, I see I linked to the wrong video in the second fusion link. Somebody has played a different song over the recording of their dance. Here's the original. The dance starts at 2:18.

ppeatfruit Tue 04-Dec-12 15:02:47

That is soo interesting to see the version of SCD American style who copied who ? I wonder. Also Bruno and Len NOT Craig hmm !!I didn't like the girl who does Tess's role (makes me value Tess more grin)

AndiMac Tue 04-Dec-12 15:30:08

Carrie Ann is the female judge on DWS and she's a genuine dancer in her own right, as much as Bruno or Craig. The show started in 2005, they got the idea from Strictly. Can you believe for about 2 months in the autumn, Bruno and Len fly every week between London and Las Angeles to record both shows?

AndiMac Tue 04-Dec-12 15:31:49

Oh sorry ppeatfruit, I see now you were talking about the host, not the judge. Oops. blush

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 04-Dec-12 15:42:13

I think the Beeb sells the Strictly format all over the world rather than other countries' TV companies taking the idea. I'd imagine it's a massive cash cow for them.

RedZombie Tue 04-Dec-12 16:25:45

Brendan does the judging on the version in New Zealand, I think.

Dance Fusion is going to be interesting.

ppeatfruit Tue 04-Dec-12 16:34:45

Of course LadyClarice hello BTW smile It's a format! Not having watched it before properly I really didn't know . But the hysterical audiences must have come from U.S.A. not G.B. (she says hoisting bosom and looking over her glasses)

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 04-Dec-12 16:39:48

Hi ppeat!

I'm so sad experienced when it comes to watching Strictly that I can say with some confidence that the Beeb have been ramping up the hysteria and the show generally over the years. The several standing ovations every show are quite new, and the amount of booing, cheering and heckling at the judges' comments has risen steadily. The audience has always been a bit hysterical when it comes to cheering and clapping every single fecking lifts but I'd say that's got worse over the years too.

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 16:49:23

I loved watching the american DWS on TV, the celebs were so talented, especially the girls. Is it still on as haven't seen it for at least a year or more?

ppeatfruit Tue 04-Dec-12 16:55:18

The reason why I could never get into it before (and I love ALL dance) was the audience; I now try and ignore it and am enjoying SCD on the whole. The music and lighting annoy me but they are minor compared to the bleedin' audience grin

RedZombie Tue 04-Dec-12 16:59:50

I've never really got into the American version. I never know when it's on and I don't know any of them on it. Interestingly Len is considered the nasty one on it though

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 17:02:19

Oh ppeat - do you love ballet as well as that has always been my passion. And expressive contemporary lyrical?

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 17:09:49

RedZombie
I watched it before Len and Bruno took over, and when they did, Len was booed, and uprored, so he has become less critical now with his comments and upped his marks to suit the audience and the viewers. But has remained the strictest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now