Strictly Come Dancing 2012 Thread 4. Sparkly and shiny and MAHR-VO-LOUS!

(998 Posts)
AndiMac Sun 18-Nov-12 13:01:44

Just starting a new thread before tonight's elimination, as I'm sure we'll all have something to say about that.

ppeatfruit Mon 03-Dec-12 16:39:04

LadyI You seem to have relegated Danni and Vincent without even a dance off! grin

franklyidontgiveadamn Mon 03-Dec-12 16:41:37

Have you put money on your predictions for the next 3 weeks LadyIsabella? I reckon you're spot-on. Would really love to have a big upset of some sort tho' - at what point do the judges have no further say in it?

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 03-Dec-12 16:44:08

Dani will be runner up in the final, ppeatfruit.

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 03-Dec-12 16:48:49

I was on Betfair recently, and the odds seem to agree with my predictions, Louis, Dani and Denise go to the final and Louis wins. I think it's pretty clear that if Denise is ever in a dance-off then the judges will save her, but once she's in the final and it's only up to the public vote, she'll be straight out.

OodKingWenceslas Mon 03-Dec-12 16:51:22

I like ladyisabellas prediction

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 03-Dec-12 17:02:32

There won't be a dance off in the semis, so actually anyone could go out in theory that week - even Louis if he has a shocker and finishes bottom of the leader board, or the top placed person if they get unlucky with the rest of the board. I think that after 10 years of doing this the judges have a decent sense of what ordering will give (for example) Denise the best chance of going through though, so if they really want to they can protect her.

AndiMac Mon 03-Dec-12 17:28:45

BRAN I can sort of see where you are coming from with the Stockholm Syndrome idea for Karen and Nicky. But she would have to be around to practice the group numbers and her partner dances with Pascha, so I'm not sure how much she would be away any given week.

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 03-Dec-12 18:00:24

I don't think the professionals need that much time to learn their dances, I was assuming that a couple of hours on Friday rehearsal day would be enough. They already know how to do the technical stuff, they just need to learn the routine.

Heard one of the pro's on radio 2 say they put knots of the pro dances in place in August, then Monday morning they rehearse the one for that week.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 03-Dec-12 18:50:20

Aww just seeing Michael and Natalie on ITT. Suspect that Natalie may be slightly keener on him than is good for her, but I'm sure she'll get over it. (or possibly I'm projecting - if I were single I'd find the sheer niceness of Michael quite hard to resist)

OodKingWenceslas Mon 03-Dec-12 18:55:13

Did everyone know how old Bruno was?

onyx72 Mon 03-Dec-12 19:02:39

I forgot about the affair, ladyisabella. Still, Mark R is my favourite male Strictly contestant ever. He was ( as far as I know) a genuine amateur dancer yet he was electrifying on the floor. I could have watched him all day.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 03-Dec-12 19:08:23

I read that it was Bruno's 57th (I think) in the paper the other day.

digerd Mon 03-Dec-12 19:12:53

Michael and Nat on ITT - Michael is really nice and very endearing. Nat thanked his wife.

Craig said Danni does not have the length of body, especially the neck to enable the elegant lines and poise to blow him away.

digerd Mon 03-Dec-12 19:16:32

Pasha has a dimple in his chin - so cute - love him!!

OodKingWenceslas Mon 03-Dec-12 19:18:14

whoknows that's whet i read! Thought he was much younger.

digerd Mon 03-Dec-12 19:20:29

Craig said recently on ITT that bruno was 56.

franklyidontgiveadamn Mon 03-Dec-12 19:58:54

digerd - Craig actually said that about Dani?? shock

digerd Mon 03-Dec-12 20:34:36

Yes.

Tess asked him why he marked her so low in comparison to others.
But Lisa hasn't got a long neck either, and the viewers love her and Danni but Lisa was not mentioned.

Of course taller girls have the longer neck, backs and legs - Natalie for instance. Craig was not being nasty, more being honest with his opinion.

digerd Mon 03-Dec-12 20:41:23

"dani" oops

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 03-Dec-12 20:43:02

Being short doesn't rule out having a lovely spine, Flavia is the same height as Dani and she gets beautiful movement in her back and neck so I can see what Craig means. I think that Dani is less perfectly proportioned than Flavia, which does make it harder for her to have good lines.

I was thinking that about Lisa when she was doing the rumba. The judges were tying themselves in knots trying not to say the word 'fat', but the truth is that no matter how perfectly her arms and legs were placed, if all her limbs are joined together with a barrel-shaped torso then she will never be able to make a beautiful shape. I'm not being fattist, I'm barrel-shaped myself. You could tell that she had put a lot of effort into that dance, but if you can't see someone's spine then you can't tell whether it's in the right shape or not.

digerd Mon 03-Dec-12 21:03:10

Craig make a specific remark to her short neck not giving her poise. Did he criticise her spine? I don't remember that.
I thought her last dance was very sweet and cute which suited her, and was clever choreography from Vincent.
Know Flavia is a shorter and gorgeous dancer, but didn't think she was the same height as Dani? Even Vincent said Dani was the smallest person he had danced with.
I wonder if Dani's costumes could have been more flattering to her. That bare midriff one did not do her any favours, many comments about that one. Even in her ballroom dances she never wore a longish dress - dropped waist to make her body look longer and longer skirt to give the impression of longer legs?

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 03-Dec-12 21:43:32

Well the neck is a part of the spine, unless Craig has a thing about Dani's throat.

franklyidontgiveadamn Mon 03-Dec-12 21:49:30

I'll have to wait til ITT comes on iplayer and listen for myself but if that is precisely what he said I think it's unacceptable. It might be someone's 'honest' opinion that only people with the standard number of limbs should take part in sport or that only people who speak with a non-regional accent should read the news or that only stick-thin girls can look good modelling clothes. In other words someone's honest opinion can be full of crap.

If a man who is supposed to be an expert on dancing thinks that natural talent and empathy can't compensate for not being perfectly proportioned then he shouldn't be on the show.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 03-Dec-12 23:53:16

I find that shocking as well, if that's what he said. Surely the whole point of Strictly is to take non-dancers in all their different shapes and sizes and make something special happen?
If we're going to come down to physical perfection or lack of it, doesn't that kind of defeat the object?
And yes, no one would ever use the f-word to criticize Lisa, so why mention someone else's so-called physical shortcomings?
It's not as if Dani has any choice in the matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now