come and snigger with me at what Eve magazine thinks new mums should wear

(108 Posts)
Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 09:56:59

okay the fun starts with:

'A super-stylish maternity leave' - after the birth buy 'an oh-so-soft tracksuit in velour or cashmere (go on - it's an investment buy'

okay so when can a velour tracksuit ever be right?

and how is buying a piece of clothing in a size you hope you'll never be again an 'investment'

it goes on

'wear your jeans with a 'wow' top that you can dress down with a vest underneath'

and there is a picture of a woman in a white top costing £95 for her baby to puke down

doesn't look particularly washable either

by the second page we are wesring the most hideous dress imaginable in a vile print because it 'hides a multitude of sins' (?!) and then we see a lovely woman in her trenchcoat and Mulberry bag which doesn't look a) like it is holding any nappies or b) like it is going to be looped over the handle of any pushchair anytime soon as she doesn't have one with her

oh and as if we hadn't thought of this, in the summer we should 'wear a sundress'

and buy waterproof mascara for the 'baby blues'

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 09:58:02

I'd also like to point out that the woman in the pictures weighs about six stone

and has obviously washed her hair

OttergavebirthonValentines Mon 12-Feb-07 09:58:40

how ridiculous
'touche eclat' for the bags and a pair of red flares for the extra bloody days?

edam Mon 12-Feb-07 09:59:08

LOL! But at least they noticed that women have babies. Most glossy mags don't. When I worked in that industry, fashion desks were not exactly well-known for employing mothers.

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 09:59:18

Oh I know Capp, I sniggered at that too.

Cashmere and posset go SO well together.

hana Mon 12-Feb-07 09:59:42

'and has obviously washed her hair'

lol

i saw this too and went and flipped the page!!!

cazboldy Mon 12-Feb-07 10:00:52

Just after mine were born I thought it was an achievement to get dressed at all......who cares what I am wearing as long as it covers my ginormous boobs and does up at the waist!?

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:02:35

we should write our own version

"All you need for the first weeks is a long coat and a pair of pyjamas'

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:04:13

Just a manky dressing down should do, really.

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:04:25

Dressing gown

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 10:04:35

"Remember to buy extra large sanitary pads and pile cream"

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:07:18

'I had to find a wardrobe that would allow me to.. carry piles of laundry up and down the stairs'

do you know I often spend hours choosing the right outfit for tasks like this

remember white is a good colour for muslin cloths as it will go with all outfits-you will be draped in them for the first 6 months.

cupcakes Mon 12-Feb-07 10:11:06

sundress? Any type of dress whilst breastfeeding is going to make life pretty complicated. Unless you like exposing your knickers when feeding.

Aloha Mon 12-Feb-07 10:12:20

sundress a really good choice for breastfeeding, eh?
And yes, a really brilliant wheeze to buy a cashmere (!) tracksuit in size 18 when you'll be a size 14 in about six weeks time! And you'd have to hand wash or dry clean it Mad, mad, mad.

MrsJohnCusack Mon 12-Feb-07 10:16:22

god I didn't even know you could buy a cashmere tracksuit. What a useless piece of clothing. Must rush out and get one

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:18:58

oh go on MrsCusack it's an investment buy

ScottishMummy Mon 12-Feb-07 10:22:31

LAUGH CHORTLE

i spent a good 4-6 weeks in manky pyjama and/or dressing gown with huge sore boobies

I sported the following new mummy look

greasy manky hair
sore nipples
psychotic haze induced by lack of REM sleepa sanitary pad the size of a duvet jammed in my waist high knickers

boyfriend
Wore dressing gown for a week too

....No sanny pad ...or sore boobies....not that i noticed

OH yes and lots of takeaway food cos neither of us could be fecked cooking

beansprout Mon 12-Feb-07 10:25:37

I bet the model looks like she has slept in the last week and hey, don't tell me, has the make up that I spent sooo much time applying when ds was first born. I still think "making the effort" is brushing my hair rather than just scraping it back, and ds is 2

NAB3 Mon 12-Feb-07 10:27:20

I love eve mag but that article did annoy me.

beansprout Mon 12-Feb-07 10:28:34

Shall we send them some pictures of us when our dcs were newborns and ask them what they suggest?

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:29:30

ooh now I check again it seems she has written a book about this!

hoorah! for just £12.99 we can pick up more of her insight

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:31:34

Who is the author?

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:32:21

Grace Saunders

oh crap, it's none of you lot, is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now