Skirted leggings - would you?

(55 Posts)
formidable Tue 16-Jun-15 20:26:58

Is this a huge fail? I'm being seriously tempted by the navy and grey leggings with the built in straight mini skirt here

I'm thinking a nice top and ballet flats for the summer. Have I lost my mind?

I'm a size 12, but not hefty and I've got nice legs smile

Purplehonesty Tue 16-Jun-15 20:42:52

I've seen people wearing this around here. Never realised it was a built in thing and always thought it looked nice but couldn't figure out where the long top part came from!

Go for it, might get some myself as I like wearing leggings but not loose long tops so it might be a good compromise

formidable Tue 16-Jun-15 20:48:08

That's what I thought.

I bet they're mega comfy. However I've been wanting to smarten myself up recently and I'm wondering if it's a step in the wrong direction...

What kind of t shirt or top would work?

DJThreeDog Tue 16-Jun-15 20:52:23

I think they look absolutely vile and like what twelve year olds wear to dance class.

Sorry!

thecrimsonpetal Tue 16-Jun-15 21:00:12

Sorry I'm with DJ, they are just grim! I remember skirted trousers years ago, a 90s thing I think?

MyPelvicFloorTrainsItself Tue 16-Jun-15 21:05:15

No.

Wotsitsareafterme Tue 16-Jun-15 21:16:49

I like them but only the straight skirts the flippy ones look really dance school.
I think it's a definite casual look and you still need a top that covers your waistband but ballet flats or sandals is what I will wear them with I quite fancy some

formidable Tue 16-Jun-15 21:17:04

Oh....

Sansarya Tue 16-Jun-15 21:19:40

Yep, I agree with everyone saying they look too dance-y...

formidable Tue 16-Jun-15 21:21:43

Even the ones with the straight mini skirts?

Madlizzy Tue 16-Jun-15 21:45:26

I like the ones with the straight skirts and have just ordered the grey and the black, so thanks for the link!

NomiMalone Tue 16-Jun-15 21:47:53

What the fuuuuuuu......

Bleurgh. They are an affront to the very words Style and Beauty.

TheReluctantCountess Tue 16-Jun-15 21:49:51

I would if I had the legs for it.

QueenBean Tue 16-Jun-15 21:53:39

Absolutely not, sorry!!

What do you want to achieve from this, can we help you find a not-so-horrible alternative?

Fit and flair dress, opaque tights and loafers perhaps?

juneau Tue 16-Jun-15 21:53:39

The flippy skirts look ridiculous (on a grown woman anyway), but the straight ones aren't too bad - if you have the legs! I know a 48-year-old mum and I've seen her in something like that and she looks good. Its a very casual look though, not something I'd wear if I was trying to 'smarten myself up'. More the kind of thing I'd throw on to do the school run or for slobbing around at home.

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 05:36:08

Hmm I think I'll leave it then, thanks for the feedback!

I'm not really trying to "achieve" anything smile. I've been known to make some bad fashion errors (luckily I have a very honest mother who is quite fashion savvy...), style is something I find quite tricky.

Are loafers back in then? My summer uniform has been maxi dresses or easy to wear shorter dresses with sandals or ballet flats - at least with a dress you don't have to worry about the concept of "goes with".....

One thing though, I am very pot bellied. A maxi dress can make me look pregnant. At the moment I have thought of no way round this other than sucking my stomach in constantly....

TealFanClub Wed 17-Jun-15 06:08:57

God get something with a waistband.

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 06:24:24

Really? Why?

Runningupthathill82 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:09:41

Skirted leggings?! Just no!!
It's like the done-to-death tunic and legging look... only sloppier and even more hideous. Sorry.

QueenBean Wed 17-Jun-15 08:13:21

Apologies OP - achieve was the wrong word! I meant, what occasions would you be wearing these for, and can we suggest some nicer alternatives?

Pumpkinette Wed 17-Jun-15 08:22:31

I wore that type of thing as a teenager in the 90's (with platform -moon boots- trainers) No way I'd do it again.

However, apparently trousers with skirts and dresses are a thing in fashion just now. I read it somewhere - perhaps in a magazine - and loads of designers are going with this trend for summer.

Pumpkinette Wed 17-Jun-15 08:24:27

Score out fail moon boots

HellKitty Wed 17-Jun-15 08:31:03

90s!!
I had some. You have to start doing high kicks, flick the 'V' sign and bang on about Girl Power.

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 08:39:44

I was thinking just for casual weekends.

In the warm weather I'm in dresses and flats with a cardi, in cooler weather jeans with a t shirt and cardi.

I have a toddler and I'm a teacher. I want to look effortlessly thrown together smile. I'm envious of the Boden catalogue models but I'm neither thin nor rich and I hate ironing....

I think I need an intervention. I always seem to buy the wrong things, then I look back a couple of years later and cringe.

ImGoingForATwix Wed 17-Jun-15 08:43:26

Oh god I remember these as a teen in the 90s!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now