I need opinions on this boots and dress combo pleases!

(72 Posts)
AndTwoBits Wed 02-Oct-13 21:09:27

Can these boots be worn with a dress and look good? I am 36 5'9" tall and a size 12 if it helps!

http://www.cosstores.com/Shop/Women/Shoes/Nubuck_panel_boots/46897-2117586.1#c-24479

I apologise if my links don't work. I am hopeless on this iPad. I'm looking for boots to go with dresses and thick black tights for a night out. I'm thinking of this dress with them..

http://www.cosstores.com/Shop/Women/Dresses/Graphic_print_dress/46881-10675116.1#c-24479

Hideous or nice?

I like the Hush Puppy boots. But I really hate ankle boots with dresses, to me it just looks wrong, wrong, wrong. No idea why though.

Ifancyashandy Thu 03-Oct-13 06:36:41

LOVE the Cos boots. Dress is ok. Shape of dress goes with boots but not the colour - too grey and patterned and not enough black.

Hate the Hush Puppy boots - they are very wrong. The Hobbs ones are just very boring and dated.

AndTwoBits Thu 03-Oct-13 07:59:18

Thank you for your input, really appreciate it. As much as I love fly London, I've loads of pairs, I was thinking of a bit more glam for my night out. I just never dress up any more! I'm going out out, not out! Head wrecked!might go into cos ans see what they suggest. I do love cos, their clothes just work on me.

garlicvampire Thu 03-Oct-13 10:13:36

Ooh, let us know what you choose!

jackstini Thu 03-Oct-13 11:12:22

I know these are really cheap! - but love them in the blue or teal
here

jackstini Thu 03-Oct-13 11:14:30
PrimalLass Thu 03-Oct-13 11:16:11

I love the boots (but not any of the other pairs posted here). Whether they go with the dress or not depends on how wide they are at the ankle once on.

Somethingyesterday Thu 03-Oct-13 11:25:26

I love Cos - and wonder if you couldn't find a fiercer dress? But if you insist on the dress then perhaps these boots might be worth considering?

Or these?

Twinklestein Thu 03-Oct-13 11:35:11

I think a colourful dress is a good idea, but that particular dress looks like a bad trip to me...

Not a fan of ankle boots, but at 5'9 you can definitely get away with them. I don't love the ones in the OP but they're more stylish than any of the alternatives posted...

garlicvampire Thu 03-Oct-13 12:52:42

Jackstini - everything 5 pounds!!! Good grief! A thousand thanks! Well, five thanks wink This may change my life slightly ...

garlicvampire Thu 03-Oct-13 12:54:27

The blue Stories boots are nice, and 'safe' enough to be versatile.

bunnymother Thu 03-Oct-13 13:34:25

I think the dress is gorgeous. And my favourite boots thr have been linked to are the Hobbs Ria ones. Some of the others are too clumpy.

bunnymother Thu 03-Oct-13 13:34:54

S

bunnymother Thu 03-Oct-13 13:35:50

Bloody phone... I wouldn't do the other Stories one as I don't think mid calf works. On the other ankle boot thread, someone linked to some nice teal coloured ones.

LifeofPo Thu 03-Oct-13 13:36:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

garlicvampire Thu 03-Oct-13 13:41:51

But Fly are so lovely to wear smile

And we don't all want to look like high-class hookers Bond girls in pointy heels!

BuggedByJake Thu 03-Oct-13 13:46:03

Yes to both. Such a change to see someone linking to something that's actually stylish on here. S&B threads are usually full of links to dullsville.

BuggedByJake Thu 03-Oct-13 13:48:18

Shoes for £5 FFS sad

garlicvampire Thu 03-Oct-13 13:54:24

Jake, my first thought was "sad" too. My second thought was "I'm on benefits, this is only 2 days' food instead of 20 ..."

fizzoclock Thu 03-Oct-13 13:59:38

I think you have a great look in mind, might need colour tweaking like pp have said with the blue of the dress and the black of the boots.

The second other stories pair might work...don't do the mid calf as it will play havoc with your legs IMHO (cuts them at the widest point of the lower leg generally)!

If you had a black clutch/bag or black leather biker or tux jacket you could probably pull the boots together with the dress?

These boots might work? I don't love them but might be better colour wise? Teal or I love these for a hit of silver here

fizzoclock Thu 03-Oct-13 14:01:14

or these are gorgeous and really versatile!

BuggedByJake Thu 03-Oct-13 14:08:37

Sorry garlic I didn't mean to offend blush

garlicvampire Thu 03-Oct-13 14:25:01

No worries, Jake smile I shop virtually for the things I'd like to buy, but trawl the bottom for things I can! Got it down to a fine art.

garlicvampire Thu 03-Oct-13 14:27:45

The third Zara one's good, fizz! And in the style of OP's first choice ... Poor OP, your head must be swimming with boots now!

AndTwoBits Thu 03-Oct-13 14:40:35

Thank you girls, you're very kind to find suggestions for me. I adore those blue and other stories boots, they are fab. I do have a really old black leather biker jacket I bought 20 years ago that is still going strong, so maybe that would tie in with black tights and boots as fizz o'clock suggests. Didn't have time to run into cos today, it'll be sat at this rate. But I really appreciate the ideas. Garlic vampire, head defo swimming, but the responses has got me all excited for my night out now. I guess the dress is a bit marmitey going by the comments. I keep going back to it tho, do I must be in the love camp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now