Wedding guest dress - OMG it's a 'bridesmaids dress'!

(32 Posts)
Fatsia Fri 06-Sep-13 05:48:53

I don't 'do' fashion and never wear dresses but have a big family wedding coming up v soon in London. I'm fat and fifty and never dress up.

Raced out to buy something suitable to wear, yesterday - literally the last day I'll get to shop. Bought an 'acceptable' oyster coloured dress at Monsoon and last night discovered, online, that it's one of their bridesmaid collection.

Am I going to look ridiculous? It's the Beatrice bridesmaid dress - without sleeves, in their collection (don't know how to do a link for this). I've also got a sheer short ivory shrug to go over it.

Tried it on and thought it looked OK for someone of my age and size but if it's going to be obviously a bridesmaid's dress, will this stick out a mile? I've no idea what the real bridesmaids are wearing (all young twenty somethings).

What do you stylish, fashion conscious MN people think?

LittleBearPad Fri 06-Sep-13 09:38:37

It's lovely. You'll look great. Don't stress too much about headgear if it isn't you. It's not compulsory in quite the way it used to be.

TobyLerone Fri 06-Sep-13 09:48:25

Thought black as OP has said that was her last chance to get to the shops before the wedding!!

Exactly what I thought.

Navy will be lovely with it. Navy bag, too. And leave the jacket on until the reception. When you get rid of it depends on how similar it is to the bridesmaids' dresses and how drunk everyone is grin

No hat/fascinator. You'll look great!

Paintyourbox Fri 06-Sep-13 09:51:16

Gorgeous dress!

Do you have any brightly coloured shoes? The dress is a colour that will go with pretty much anything to you could make it less bridesmaid by teaming bright shoes with it.

Maybe add a bright pashmina if you have one at home.

I wouldn't bother with a fascinator- they're overdone these days anyway.

SPBisResisting Fri 06-Sep-13 09:54:11

Thats a lovely dress and definitely doesnt look bridesmaidy. As someone else said, check what colour the bridesmaids are wearing - assuming theyre wearing a strong colour im sure it will be fine

bunchoffives Fri 06-Sep-13 10:13:58

What a great site that Monsoon one is.

I too think that dress is entirely appropriate for a guest Fatsia. But agree with matching it with navy as more suitable for your age (and mine smile).

Anyway thanks for the thread, I've just picked up 2 dresses badly needed for work. Very chuffed!

Trills Fri 06-Sep-13 10:18:01

There is no strict line between "bridesmaid dress" and "wedding guest dress".

This obvious becomes a problem if you dress your bridesmaids in this season's Monsoon or Coast dresses (and that's why I get my wedding guest dresses from ebay!).

Trills Fri 06-Sep-13 10:18:25

It's a very nice dress btw!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now