Sandal to wear with summer dresses suitable for lots of walking?

(136 Posts)
TessTheTeacher Thu 02-May-13 07:43:53

I am going on holiday and it is a city holiday, not a by-the-pool type of holiday. I have some lovely new summery dresses and would like a nice pair of sandals to go with them.

So far everything I have seen that fits the bill have been way to granny-esque. I want a open toe rather than a toe-post and they need to have a strap of some sort, I don't want a slip on because all they do is slip off! I'd need them to have a half decent sole, not just the basic flat, hard sole that lots of sandals have because I won't be able to do a full day of walking in those basic soles. I think either metallic or brown tan would go with my dresses best.

And, I can only spend about £30, £35 max sad Any suggestions?

rootypig Thu 06-Jun-13 22:46:05

oh my god justfor modcloth is amazing! Fuck I need to cut up my credit card, pronto.

justforachange Thu 06-Jun-13 22:16:26

Totally with you there startail. I have been lusting after salt water sandals for the last couple of years but thought they were way too expensive and probably wouldnt look as good on me as they did on the skinny model in the Toast catologue. I finally took the plunge and bought red ones this year (from modcloth) and they are a-maz-ing!!! I've hardly had them off my feet. Dead comfy and yes, weirdly make your feet/legs look great.

ClartyCarol Thu 06-Jun-13 22:08:15

OP COME BACK!

www.next.co.uk/x51356s4#100349x51

Yes go to Next but get these...perfect!

rootypig Thu 06-Jun-13 21:46:48

OK so probably noone is ever going to check back to this thread but:

<shouts>

OP, I HAVE FOUND THEM! Startail, your holy grail does exist.

And they are: Sun-San Saltwater sandals. Incredibly comfy, long lasting, oddly flattering on the foot and leg, and affordable. They are from the US and about $35 there. All the trendies in London are going mad for them (even trendies want the holy grail) and they're selling for £45 - £55 here. Well worth it though. Sold out in lots of places but KJ's Laundry still have some, with free shipping.

www.kjslaundry.com/womens/shoes/

<retires to admire shoes and despair of state of toenails>

SparklyStream Tue 07-May-13 07:01:16

Timberland Earthkeepers?

FrugalFashionista Tue 07-May-13 06:34:43

Bunbaker I try to fit in with the locals at least to some degree, out of respect mainly but also for security reasons (pickpocketing). I live in a very old and historic city that millions of tourists visit every year, walk an average of 5 km per day, but have never yet felt the need to wear hiking gear or beachwear to tour the city. My staples are ballet flats, loafers, wedges, modest heeled sandals (cage wedges, hasbeens), espadrilles and flat suede chelsea boots and tall flat boots in the winter. I break them in at home (=almost never get blisters) and then combine them with dresses or jeans worn with a blazer. I avoid high heels, very strappy shoes (this includes most sandals) and peeptoes - all of the tend to chafe. I wear trainers only when I run but they are an acceptable alternative for tourists. The only way to find suitable shoes is to try on a lot of pairs, then pick the ones that fit best.

I have these... Can walk for miles in them. Have even managed a bit of rock scrabbling in them today, though they weren't ideal for that really wink.

They also do open toes versions and the Oreo ones shown on amazon look a bit strappier.

soaccidentprone Mon 06-May-13 20:09:13

I am also looking for some new sandals. I have some of the Merrill's which are fugly but comfy.

I have stupidly narrow feet and also not very deep, so most sandals are just crap as my feet just slide out of the front, so they either have to be very narrow to start with, or Velcro so that I can adjust them.

I have some pretty silver sandals from moda in pelle which fit, but they have very thin soles, so aren't that comfy. I also can't do heels since breaking my leg a couple of years ago.

Any ideas?

I've just impulse bought the BHS tan wedges from right up the thread, discounted to 28 quid in the bank holiday sale. They feel pretty comfy, and they'll be an inoffensive standby for travel to and from work on hot days, but I'm not sure they'd be up to a full 5 mile+ sightseeing day.

Bunbaker Mon 06-May-13 19:02:34

I don't understand why it is more important to look "stylish" while walking around a city than have feet that aren't sore and covered in blisters.

IMO a woman hobbling around in ridiculous shoes because she didn't want to wear something more practical just looks silly.

OH and I once took some Hungarian visitors around York for the day. The woman wore ridiculous high heeled shoes and we didn't get round all the sights because we had to keep stopping to wait for her because she couldn't walk properly. It was frustrating for us because of her silly vanity.

Bigwuss Mon 06-May-13 12:01:58

Lots in TKmaxx at the moment here

specialsubject Mon 06-May-13 11:49:47

no such thing. And if you wear open toes on a busy city street, don't whine if you get your toes stubbed or trodden on. Or covered in dog poo in most of Europe.

all these shoes are ugly but there's no such thing as supportive, decent sandals that have pretty little straps.

summer city tourist outfit - long shorts, trainers (ideally not enormous, but with support) and whatever you wear on top. Job done.

Nehru Mon 06-May-13 08:17:02

Those roman type ones like laced up Cornish pasties. They're the worst.

amessagetoyouYoni Mon 06-May-13 07:59:08

There are some of the ugliest shoes I have ever seen on this thread grin

Thing is, after a couple ofhours of walking, you wont care. I would buy something super comfy from Clarks, M&S Foot Gloves or Next Sole Survivors range and bung a pair ofpretty flip flops in your bag just in case.

Nehru Mon 06-May-13 07:53:36

What about these?
www.clarks.co.uk/p/20350228

Mumelie Mon 06-May-13 07:41:27

and seems I can't post a link from my phone! sorry about that wink

Mumelie Mon 06-May-13 07:40:41

I have similar problems to the OP - painful feet and knee issues - great looking but comfy sandals are indeed the holy grail!
Did buy from Next Solesurviver range last year [[ http://www.next.co.uk/shop/nextrange-solesurvivor/category-sandals here]]. something similar to the leopard print metal tbar ones. so comfy - could walk for miles in them! Great price too. Only issue was the colour of the foot bed - got very grubby very quickly in the city sad.
really recommend trying them though.

Startail Mon 06-May-13 01:42:35

Yes, but where are my heavenly feet wedge sandals. I can't find them or their bright red box. Both DDs claim to be innocent.

Since my brickstocks were on DD2's feet yesterday and her crocs are on ne, this may or may not be valid evidence of innocence.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 05-May-13 23:04:23

Hotter Shoes, Heavenly Feet and Caprice are all brands that do comfy shoes. Check their websites.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 04-May-13 18:48:43

Gibber- i have those Gabor from last summer- they're great and if you are getting a bunion they help keep your toe straight smilewon't help those with bunions already i'd say though

coffeeinbed Sat 04-May-13 14:45:35

We have, Lurker, about 30 posts ago.

TheConstantLurker Sat 04-May-13 14:11:13

Have we lost the op completely with our fitflops and flipflops?

auntpetunia Sat 04-May-13 13:43:17

Oh higgle Am loving the Nile and the Rhone just enough heel (Am 5ft11) and an ankle strap! <Wanders off to find credit card>…

higgle Sat 04-May-13 13:20:34

Has anyone mentioned Moshulu? their shoes are a bit grannyish but very comfy, the seville bright sandals are lovely here a it over budget but they sometimes have introductory discounts etc.

ExRatty Sat 04-May-13 13:17:24

if you are thinking flip flops these are brilliant
weirdly comfortable and as they go around your heel as well they are brilliantly easy to walk in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now