North Face Arctic Parka - will I regret buying?

(90 Posts)
NuclearStandoff Wed 06-Mar-13 20:54:54

Should not be spending any money at moment, as I am unemployed.

But having shivered all winter, decided that I really need a warm and practical coat for walking dog and watching ds play sport.

It was reduced hugely in the sale, and I know I probably won't wear it until next winter now - but I hope it could last 10 years... and it even comes with a 2 year guarantee.

Please tell me I haven't made an expensive mistake?

noddyholder Sun 10-Mar-13 20:31:02

They are quite roomy. I tried a few as I bought ds one for xmas and was in teh shop and M is fine

I don't think the bottom is flared Alison. Is that what you mean? Mine is pretty straight up and down

AlisonMoyet Sun 10-Mar-13 21:47:23

Thanks mate. That's how I want it.

motherofallmuddles Mon 11-Mar-13 12:08:09

Oh no I spent all weekend thinking about this and now have decided go go go only to find that there are none left in the sale
If anyone has seen Im looking for Large and whilst I'd love the vintage cream I think it might be hopelessly impractical
xxx

newpup Mon 11-Mar-13 13:13:48

I LOVE mine, I have the chocolate brown one and it is soooo toasty. I bought it last Summer in the sale and it was reduced from £320 to £190. DH bought it for me. I am a large size 12 with boobies! I have a large, the lady in the shop said that is 12-14 and they are on the small side. I tried on the medium as I would normally wear medium and it was snug. Large fits perfectly with room to wear a jumper underneath, not that you will need it!

HeyLuciani Mon 11-Mar-13 13:21:34

motherofallmuddles - I've seen a few white ones (is that the same or is there also a cream one? confused )

Outback Trading has a white one in a size L at £169.

BrendaBlethyn Mon 11-Mar-13 13:31:29

Mine is posted!

motherofallmuddles Mon 11-Mar-13 13:32:35

I love the white one but thinks it would mark v easily but I think all the black coats might have gone. I've looked at various sites but no luck sad
(first world problem obvs)

HeyLuciani Mon 11-Mar-13 14:10:07

They seem to have all sizes in black at Cotswold Outdoor.......unfortunately not as much discount as some other places - £220.

I ordered from Cotswold yesterday - could probably have got it cheaper if I'd looked a bit harder, but I wanted to order 2 sizes to try and couldn't be faffed ordering them from different shops blush and I got some cashback (Topcashback), so it's not too bad.

motherofallmuddles Mon 11-Mar-13 14:14:12

Right, I think I will just order from Cotswold - spent most of my lunch hour doing this and I can't find what I want ! Thank you so much

HeyLuciani Mon 11-Mar-13 14:26:49

No worries. I've been thinking about getting one for two years but the (full) price always put me off - decided yesterday to stop procrastinating and just bloody get one! Freezing today, so looking forward to it. smile

motherofallmuddles Thu 14-Mar-13 09:55:23

Very toasty on my walk to work today, parka arrived v quickly. In the end I went for large in black
found it from a shop on ebay if anyone is still looking
stores.ebay.co.uk/Campcraft-Bolton?_rdc=1

Willow36 Thu 14-Mar-13 14:23:50

I completely love mine. Best purchase ever. grin

NinaNannar Thu 14-Mar-13 14:57:40

it came! Medium in black
its a close fit but large will be huge

it isint very thick though

Inertia Thu 14-Mar-13 20:24:28

I bought one a few weeks ago and have worn it loads already. I'd done lots of research and couldn't find anything that was as warm, long and completely waterproof, so I've been coveting one for a while.

Definitely worthwhile getting.

MrsKoala Thu 14-Mar-13 20:29:55

mine is at the depot <wail> i was out when it arrived, hurrumph.

wont be able to pick it up till monday sad

Looks lovely, very similar to MN fav Merrel Haven/Wakefield/Insukated which us the most waterproof coat I have ever know and one of the only goats with lovely long sleeves do no cold/wet gap between coat and gloves grin

I'm not sure if goats are waterproof but the coat certainly is smile

Meglet Thu 14-Mar-13 21:26:51

I might have to invest in one. I made the mistake of buying a Zara down coat and it's awful, not waterproof and the pockets are so tiny that I can't pop my keys / phone in there without them almost slipping out. After 2 winters I've had enough and need to e-bay it and get something better.

NinaNannar Thu 14-Mar-13 21:32:06

Reassure me wrt thickness

rubytutu Fri 15-Mar-13 11:46:50

nina mine is very thick but wonder if yours has been packed flat for a while if that would make it like that?

rubytutu Fri 15-Mar-13 11:49:56

meglet get one. not one person on here has regretted it although I often mutter about selling it when am sweating. today for example outdoor temp is 7 and I know I would be too hot in it. buy it with a view to getting several winters use out of it.

MrsKoala Sat 16-Mar-13 17:23:00

i've got it! oh my, it is gorgeous!! chocolate brown, warm, so well made, lovely details. DH has even been tarting around in it smile

I got the large and it's a little roomy but with a chunky jumper and for skiing it's perfect size.

So glad i bought it. The only thing is DH's entire wardrobe is NorthFace so we are now going to look like his'n'her losers.

S'alright MrsKoala, me and DH are matching North Face as well! Just got to do the kids now grin

NinaNannar Tue 26-Mar-13 08:50:56

I got the M. It's snug. But not to allow air in.
I love it. Great style. Slim cut.
I'm really pleased as h wondered if there was any point buying it in march. Hem hem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now