Please help me find jeans for my lovely 9yr old DD

(118 Posts)
dizzydixies Fri 28-Dec-12 19:36:36

That aren't skinny/super skinny but build for KIDS to wear <sigh> She is tall, she isn't skinny and she shouldn't have to end up harrassed and upset trying on aged 14yr old jeans which barely go on and are 8inches too long at the bottom sad

I eventually got her woman's size 10 out of Debenhams.

She had the most beautiful pair of wide legged dark denim ones from ASDA which she has grown out of. Why doesn't anywhere do something like that anymore - the skinny/super skinny/skinnier than thou look just doesn't suit everyone, bless her.

dizzydixies Tue 01-Jan-13 21:56:06

Thanks Littlechange smile

Littlechangeforthis Tue 01-Jan-13 17:31:52

Dizzy there is no way DD1 is fat!

We are friends on fb.. (NC at the moment)

I was a bit shocked to hear that she is only 9 though! I thought she was 12 maybe? She is a beautiful stylish young lady and you should be proud of her.

Hope you get the clothes sorted for her soon.

Xx

dizzydixies Tue 01-Jan-13 12:01:23

And brought in the new year in purple shorts from Zara, black opaques, DM boots and a sequined vest top and denim shirt.

I think we've got it sussed now grin

dizzydixies Sun 30-Dec-12 17:19:48

Thank you, she has preened about in her new DMs, leggings and a tartan skater dress all day smile

steppemum Sun 30-Dec-12 00:37:46

sorry, haven't read whole thread, but just to reassure you, my ds is just 10 and wears age 13-14 clothes. He cannot be descibed as anything other than slim, but he is tall, head and shoulders above his class.

I recently bought him a sweatshirt which was small adult mens
If they are tall, then they can easily be in size way over age. My friend's dd is same height as my ds and wears age 14 school skirt. She is not overweight at all.

dizzydixies Sun 30-Dec-12 00:15:56

I'M jealous of the flowery DMs & pink ribbon laces <sigh>

exexpat Sat 29-Dec-12 21:18:05

My DD would be very jealous of the flowery DMs. And the purple shorts. Sounds like she's going to be the coolest-looking 9yo around.

MsElleTow Sat 29-Dec-12 21:05:07

Dizzy the flowery DrMartens sound amazing. I bet they'd look really cool with dresses, skirts and shorts with opaques! I think your bank balance is going to get hit hard!

I hope you manage to find her some jeans too. Ultra soft jeggings are really comfy if you can find any of those.

dizzydixies Sat 29-Dec-12 19:59:23

Thanks guys. We got her some new flowery Dr Martens today (that hurt the purse) and some purple shorts from Zara (which we've still to try on)

She also wore the 'animal' jeans which she thought felt 'weird' lol I made her wear them with a belt as they are very definitely hipsters which she's not used to.

When we nipped into my friend's boutique she tried on a couple of nice dresses - none were quite right for her but my friend did give me the website for them so I'm going on to have a look, apparently you can buy them individually at much less than what we would pay in the shops.

If it's any use I'll link it - then watch it have an influx of MNers looking for clothes for their hard to dress DDs grin

Gingersnap88 Sat 29-Dec-12 18:56:32

Dizzy I think you sound like a wonderful mum! I completely agree with you with regards to children's clothing. I hate the way they are forced to grow up so quickly and how they can't just wear children's clothes. I don't want my DD looking like a mini adult or teenager!

I had this problem in my youth. I remember going clothes shopping with my grandmother, and loving all the jeans in GAP kids as they had lots of embroidery in them / pretty colours. They only have in "slim" fit back then, which I couldn't get into even the biggest size (although the plain jeans were fine). I remember being devastated, crying and assuming that I must just be fat. My grandmother used to get so annoyed with the shop! I wasn't fat, but I was never a skinny child (all dropped off in my teens) but I always struggled with my body image after that. That's why it's so wonderful to hear how you're combating this with your own daughters (I'm sure I will have this issue with DD when she is older).

Maybe you should design a clothes line? grin

Good luck with trousers smile

Dizzy, sounds like your daughter is a bit like my son. Big at birth, always on the 90+ percentile, tallest in his class - always clothes that were 3-5 years bigger than his age. I found fitting him for trousers very difficult. We finally took him to M+S and bought him adult jeans by waist and inside leg measurement (29 inside leg for those who are interested). He's 11 and his shoes are a size 8 shock. Is he on the 'large' side? Yes a little but I've noticed of late that he's trimming down, but it's more a case of him growing into his size than actually losing weight (if that makes sense). I think that for a while he was just out of proportion and I would guess that what's happening with your daughter. Different bits growing at different rates. Adjustable waists were my friends!! M+S go to quite large sizes with adjustable waists. My daughter is the opposite, tall and skinny so I still love adjustable waists as to get the length I end up with stuff that's too wide around the waist. We love leggings for her as well - with a funky top and a pair of great boots or converses. I second the jeggings. The look of 'skinny' jeans but with more 'give'. It's awful dragging them round and trying things on that don't fit isn't it? But once you find somewhere with the things she likes that fit it'll be worthi it! Good luck.

LuluMai Sat 29-Dec-12 15:14:57

thanks amc- that is what I meant. I have a size 18 pair of skinny jeans and DS, a narrow six year old, also has a pair of skinny jeans. It's simply the style, not the size. "Super skinny" simply means they are even tighter than skinny fit.

rainbowinthesky Sat 29-Dec-12 15:04:59

We have the opposite problem. DD is 9 and cant wear jeans as they are all too big. She lives in leggings from anything from 5-6 to 7-8. PJs are very difficult and we get boys range with string that can be tied or safety pin bottoms.
Jeans which can be adjusted on the inside are pretty uncomfortable as she usually would need to smallest setting so leaving a lot of elastic sticking out.

I have always been hmm about only being able to buy "skinny" clothing for dd as I too hate these sort of labels for children. I always tell her she is slim not skinny as skinny implies a healthy problem of a different sort. Also
fed up of dinner ladies trying to get her to "eat up" and eat beyond her comfort. I have had to complain twice to ensure bloody lunch pack monitors leave her alone.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 29-Dec-12 14:58:31

You're welcome. I remember how frustrating it was, trying to find clothes to fit her. One thing I did was measure her, and then measure waists of jeans in TK Maxx so that she did try on a pile of jeans that would fit, rather than the depressing cycle of trying on loads of stuff that wouldn't go anywhere near (and the subsequent tears). She is now 5'9" and a curvy size 10 - still wearing a pair of size 10 cargo pants that she had at age 10!

dizzydixies Sat 29-Dec-12 14:44:26

Thank you MrsS

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 29-Dec-12 14:43:21

My DD was exactly the same! Try Land's End or M & S for jeans if Gap is no good. (Gap used to do a slightly wider fitting/cut in children's jeans.) We also had some success with M & S adult jeans, and TK Maxx also came up trumps. My DD is now 14, extremely sporty and muscular, and has a great figure.

dizzydixies Sat 29-Dec-12 14:31:52

Thank you again for the helpful comments, I've now taken off the photos of DD and won't be starting a thread again with any of her personal details on it. To those of you making suggestions thank you, I'll follow them all up and for those of us with children less 'easy' to buy for best of luck!

Exepat - my dd is the same as yours (& dizzy's). Big from birth etc, she is size 5-6 in shoes already, hitting puberty etc

amck5700 Sat 29-Dec-12 01:00:01

Good luck on your shopping trip - take a tape measure with you and measure some before sending her in to try them if you can.

amck5700 Sat 29-Dec-12 00:58:57

I think what Lula mai is saying is that the name skinny as applied to to the jeans is meant to denote the style not the fit - hence my son has skinny chinos in a plus fit. I know that is not always easy for kids to understand and the label of skinny is a bit misleading but is it trying to refer to the fact that they are tight round the legs - we would have called them drainpipes in my day. The fashion is probably not for everyone but I have seen a lot of non skinny kids in skinny style and it does suit as many of them as it does the overly slim child - who actually can look a bit too "skinny" in them.

dizzydixies Sat 29-Dec-12 00:52:27

exexpat thank you - they do indeed sound very similar. I've just discovered Angel at M&S online tonight and will be having a look tomorrow in Dot P. I've also ordered some stuff from landsend for her tonight too smile

exexpat Sat 29-Dec-12 00:50:38
exexpat Sat 29-Dec-12 00:47:32

Dizzy, my DD has just turned 10 and sounds very similar to your DD - big from birth, tallest in the class (I think she's a centimetre or two taller than your DD at the moment) has started hitting puberty so first signs of breastbuds etc but no waist yet. She has also inherited my, ahem, sturdy legs (muscular calves, chunky thighs - no one in my family is ever going to be a supermodel) so it is always a struggle finding jeans/trousers that fit when everywhere just does super-skinny.

She has now had several pairs of jeggings from H&M children's range (she's in age 13-14, I think) - they are very comfy, look like jeans but unfortunately not as sturdy so tend to get ripped when she's climbing things. Apart from that, we recently got her a couple of pairs of stretch cords from M&S's teenage 'angel' range, which are lovely.

We also now look at adult size 8/10 in places like Primark, Top Shop, New Look etc. She has a pair of purple skinny jeans from Dorothy Perkins which fit well because they have a lot of stretch in them. Sadly I think it's just a question of trial and error and trying a lot of things on, because sizing and cut varies massively even within one shop.

dizzydixies Sat 29-Dec-12 00:47:15

And if the style was called 'fatty'? LuluMai would that be ok? I don't think of 'skinny' as something my children should aspire to be and right at this moment I have a 9yr old girl who thinks there is something wrong with her because she doesn't fall into this 'skinny' names category hmm

I'm not going to change or even influence the fashion world, I am however entirles to disapprove of the way they are marketing their clothing lines aimed at CHILDREN.

La Redoute also worth a look. Might be worth ordering a catalogue because they did have jeans for different shapes - it has been a while since I got a catalogue - but they have lots of different brands too & you can get discount/free delivery codes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now