what weight are you if you are 5 ft 8?

(135 Posts)
doineedhelp Wed 21-Nov-12 22:14:27

Please lovely ladies,

I need some perspective here as people keep telling me I'm as I should be but not sure I agree....

I am 5 ft 8 , at the minute I weigh 11 st 8lb. Classic apple shape, 34ff boobs but good pair of legs! I feel I'm still fat at this weight even though I'm largely in a size 12 top and (mostly) bottom. Realistically though I'm pushing 40 so really struggling to lose anymore weight (i drink too much red wine if truth be told!)

So, what do other ladies with similar stats to me weigh?
Should I be hitting the spin bike and shakes or relaxing a little

Thanks grin

DottyDot Sat 24-Nov-12 08:40:03

See having lost about 32lbs, I feel great with my 14 stone and people who know me say how skinny I look (arf!). Mind you my frame itself is big - I've got size 10 feet, massive hands, very broad shoulders, and am bloody 34GG, so most of the rest of me seems slightly smaller in comparison..!

Would like to see if I can get in the 13s though - unknown territory for me since I was a teenager... grin

GrownupGoth Fri 23-Nov-12 20:55:32

5 foot 8. I weigh 11 stone six. I am very very curvy (34G boobs, coathanger hips). I was 15 stone 10 just under two years ago.

I still feel fat.

dontcallmehon Fri 23-Nov-12 14:34:18

I'm 5 foot 7 and weigh 9 stone 3 ish. I feel quite slim at this weight.

lljkk Fri 23-Nov-12 13:58:12

I don't care how fat you may still feel, anyone who has recently lost 2+ stone deserves a standing ovation. That's a LOT, Well done!

gnocci Fri 23-Nov-12 13:34:20

Seriously ivy no one is that thick.

Exactly trills

Trills Fri 23-Nov-12 12:49:01

(yes, I know, mass rather than weight, gravity blah blah blah)

Trills Fri 23-Nov-12 12:47:54

Of course a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else - that's what a pound is, a measurement of weight. Nobody would ever dispute that a pound of something weighs the same as a pound of something else. If you think that anyone is saying otherwise you are accusing them of being incredibly dense.

When people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they mean for the same volume.

The same way when people say "lead weighs more than feathers" or "sugar weighs more than flour" they mean by volume.

Whenever anyone says that anything weighs more than anything else they mean that for a thing of the same size, one weighs more.

ivykaty44 Fri 23-Nov-12 12:29:49

gnocci You may not like the question - but you didn't answer it either.

Muscle maybe denser than other materials but it will always weight the same pound for pound.

BikeRunSki Fri 23-Nov-12 10:10:01

I'm 5'8" and two months ago 1 was 14 stone 7lbs. I joined Slimming World at the end of Sept and I am now 13 stone 2. I am back in a size 14. I am aiming for 12 stone. This sounds huge compared to some of the 5'8"ers on this thread! It is the top of healthy range for our height. The doctor who did my medical which made me realise that i really did need to loose weight measured a lot of wrist/hip /shoulder type distances/circumferences one a told me that I had about the biggest skeleton you'd get for my height. I am very muscly and at 11 stone I am pointy honey and my size 8.5 feet look like flippers!

willyoulistentome Fri 23-Nov-12 09:46:22

I'm 45. 5'8 and I weigh 12 stone-ish. I also feel the hugest I have ever been and I would love to lose a couple of stone and get back to where I was 10 years ago pre-kids, when I lived a very active lifestyle (Did DIY livery and rode my horse every night after work and loads at weekends) I HATE my body these days. I hate wearing summer clothes, cos they show too much of me. i hate my lack of waist. I have my huge arse and fat thighs. I wear big baggy fleeces and jeans almost all the time, and big long cardies and wide leg troos for work.

However, I also HATE getting hot and sweaty and out of breath, and work FT with 2 kids so time and desire to exercise and do something about it are absent, I also LOVE food - one of my few pleasures - so I am basically doomed!

Trills Fri 23-Nov-12 09:37:33

What you see from these threads is that people who are a similar size often weigh quite different amounts.

Whitamakafullo Fri 23-Nov-12 09:30:38

I'm 5ft 9 and 12 stone 3. I take a 12-14 in clothes, and yes I have boobs AND sturdy legs wink

doineedhelp Fri 23-Nov-12 09:27:31

curiosity I knew I was right, thanks wink

shrimp thank you, that did make me titter!

shrimponastick Fri 23-Nov-12 08:59:11

I don't have massive boobs. I do have the legs of a turnip picking peasant woman though. Sturdy!!!

mewkins Fri 23-Nov-12 08:56:54

I weigh just under 9st and a size 8-10. Been the same weight for years regardless of exercise (or lack of).

I wonder if those of us who are on the heavier end but around about the 14/16 mark all have massive boobs? I'm a 32hh which accounts for a good few pounds (having previously had a reduction, I know!).

CuriosityCola Fri 23-Nov-12 08:15:20

doineedhelp my weight + your boobs = your weight! Your theory is correct grin

KinkyDorito Fri 23-Nov-12 08:11:54

I'm 5' 9'' and weigh 13st 7lbs at the moment. Am comfy 16 (Just lost 2st).

My target weight is 10st 10lbs which would make me a 12, but I'm not sure if this is a bit unrealistic for me now. If I could be 11st 7lbs or thereabouts it would be fine and I should look reasonably slim apart from giant flapping belly sad

CuriosityCola Fri 23-Nov-12 08:10:15

I'm 5"9 and weigh just under 10 stone. I have a very small frame no boobs. Your weight sounds fine.

amyboo Fri 23-Nov-12 08:07:18

I'm 5'7" and when I'm not 18 weeks pregnant I weigh around 11st 4lb. I usually fit quite happily into a size 12, sometimes have to get a 14 in trousers/skirts, depending on the brand. I honestly can't remember the last time I weighed under 11st - not since I was aout 18!

RuleBritannia Fri 23-Nov-12 08:06:08

The OP's BMI is 24.6 so comes under the 'healthy' weight group.

gnocci Fri 23-Nov-12 08:01:54

Ivy - muscle DOES weigh more than fat but of course a pound of each weighs the same. It always irritates me when people pull others up on that. Things can weigh more than other things you know.

Would you deny 6 square inches of iron weighed more than 6 square inches of cheese??

lljkk Fri 23-Nov-12 07:30:43

I would start looking too thin if I were as light as Chickydoo.

chickydoo Thu 22-Nov-12 23:47:14

5'7.5" ( that .5 very important
8 stone 7lbs
Age 45

LDNmummy Thu 22-Nov-12 23:36:44

I'm the exact same body type as you shandy

Interesting thread simply because I didn't think so many posters would be this height. In RL I hardly ever meet other women my height or taller. Of course it happens, just not often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now