what weight are you if you are 5 ft 8?

(135 Posts)
doineedhelp Wed 21-Nov-12 22:14:27

Please lovely ladies,

I need some perspective here as people keep telling me I'm as I should be but not sure I agree....

I am 5 ft 8 , at the minute I weigh 11 st 8lb. Classic apple shape, 34ff boobs but good pair of legs! I feel I'm still fat at this weight even though I'm largely in a size 12 top and (mostly) bottom. Realistically though I'm pushing 40 so really struggling to lose anymore weight (i drink too much red wine if truth be told!)

So, what do other ladies with similar stats to me weigh?
Should I be hitting the spin bike and shakes or relaxing a little

Thanks grin

emsyj Thu 22-Nov-12 11:46:16

None of this is very helpful really, simply because different people look very different at the same weight. I have a friend who's the same height as me and I look much thinner than her at 10 stone - she only really looks slim at 9 stone. It's just down to body shape. I can't imagine being much less than 10 stone - at that weight, I have a gap between my thighs, a rack of ribs that you could play the xylophone on and stick-like arms. At 9 stone I would just look ill. Yet another friend looks slim (very very slim, but not ill or gaunt) at 8 stone and she's a smidge taller than me at 5' 9".

You have to find a weight that's happy for you. I have no ambition to weigh 8 stone, it wouldn't 'sit' well on me. I look and feel happily skinny at 10 stone and so that's my aim (once DC2 is out) - even though many would look and feel too big at 10 stone who are the same height. When I joined Weightwatchers (I have been much bigger in the past) I thought I wanted to be 9 stone, but when I got to 10 stone 5lb I realised that 9 stone would be too low for me, so I set goal at 10 stone and I was completely happy with my size and shape at that weight.

I think collecting weight and size data is irrelevant and unhelpful yet strangely fascinating and compulsive in the same way that collecting labour stories is when you're expecting your first baby! grin Just don't set too much store by any of it.

doineedhelp Thu 22-Nov-12 11:47:47

didn't think i would have started such a busy thread asking about this...
Realise that although i'm relatively okay with weight i ideally would like to be how i was in my early 20s (10 7) but realistically i think half a stone lighter could be as far as i could get these days, so much harder in late 30s to lose any weight

Thanks curious i'll have a look at the pic... its funny you should say that as people say that to me too. It must be the FF boobs!

doineedhelp Thu 22-Nov-12 11:51:02

curious looking at your pic we could be twins, except my hair is shorter grin

emsyj you are completely right, i would look awful at anything less than 10 stone, but it is fascinating reading what everyone weighs and wants to weigh. Guess what i've learnt is that i'm never really happy at any weight, but it seems like i'm not the only one!!

ThatBintAgain Thu 22-Nov-12 11:57:41

I'm 5'9 and at 12 stone I wasn't entirely happy but I didn't look fat. Didn't look skinny either but just alright. I'd be happy at 11st. I was 10st at 21 and was skinny- I wouldn't necessarily beat myself up over being that weight again, I've had two kids since, my hips have permanently widened and i'll never be 21 again! And that's fine. grin

101handbags Thu 22-Nov-12 12:00:44

I'm 5' 8" and hover between 9 stone 6 and 9 stone 10. Am a size 10 - 12. Last year I got down to 9 stone 1 by dieting. I think I was too skinny and look better with the extra half a stone. Although perhaps I am just saying that as, like others have written above, it's just too hard to maintain...

gnocci Thu 22-Nov-12 12:52:31

proposition your stats are very interesting as I actually remember when I was 8st12 I was 33-23-33 at the same height as you! Just goes to prove different bodies distribute weight differently.

PropositionJoe Thu 22-Nov-12 12:53:25

A lot does depend on your natural shape, I have always been the way I am now, I was just the same (but perkier, and with a smaller waist, obv) as a teenager. If i had a bust I would weigh more!

PoshPaula Thu 22-Nov-12 13:25:46

I am 5 7.5 and weigh 9 st. 2 lb. I am a few pounds overweight - 9 stone has been my fighting weight all my life. I'm 43, with three kids. I've got the sort of figure that people describe as 'willowy'. Not much of a bust but long legs.

legojunkie Thu 22-Nov-12 13:39:15

poshpaulayour bmi is 20. You are definitely not overweight.

I am 5 ft 9 and weigh bang on 11 stone. If I'm critical I think I have a few wobbly bits (belly & bum) but look fine in (size 12) clothes so am happy (ish). If I've weighed more than this before it's when I've been eating too much crap - if I eat healthily 11 stone is the weight I seem to settle at.

I think this thread just goes to show it's never as simple as height v weight - there are all different types and shapes of bodies so one 'weight' doesn't ever fit all.

Ilovecrossfit Thu 22-Nov-12 13:48:50

mmm I wouldnt consider half of you her eoverweight. im 5ft10 size 12/14 and except toning my tummy im hoping not to lose much of my skinny legs or bottom...well thats how I felt until I read this thread!

I think 2 people with the sa,e weight can look very different, most of my weight is in my boobs, Im top heavy my friend weighs less than me but got shorter legs and even she's stone less she is also 2 inches shorter so all makes a huge difference...

all i say as long as you happy smile)...

naturelover Thu 22-Nov-12 13:49:35

9 stone 12 pounds - my lowest in years. Any lower and I will be too thin as I'm big boned. In fact at xmas I expect my mother to say I'm too thin now. I will ignore her as this is the weight I feel happiest at.

ghoulelocks Thu 22-Nov-12 13:51:21

I'm small boned, just to share the difference you can get...

I m 33 weeks pregnant and 11st 4lb.

I am normally about 8st 9lb, which is a slim size 10 with a small belly roll from babies (this is my barrier to a size 8). Noone would say skinny, I have a d-cup and belly. Others at that height and weight would look/ feel awful I'm sure.

anothercuppaplease Thu 22-Nov-12 13:52:53

I am 5 7 and a biscuit, and I weight 10 st 10.

I used to be 9 st 10 pre kids, and now I'm 41 so I think I'm doing ok. I have small boobs though, b cup. I am a size 12 or 14 depending on cut and shop.

Lovemy3kids Thu 22-Nov-12 13:56:31

I'm 5' 9 and I haven't stepped on a pair of scales for approximately a year and a half. I take a size 12 on top, and a size 14 on bottom - though I feel terribly overweight and very wobbly all over! I have huge hips (that I wish I could just carve the fat off, but nothing seems to work) and a small chest (34b)

I once became so obsessed with the scales and how much I weighed that I was stepping on them everytime I entered and left the bathroom - I now go by how my clothes feel on me.

Friends all say that I am slim and have a good figure but having been a "fat" teenager (size 18/20) I only ever see myself as fat..... sad

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Thu 22-Nov-12 13:56:59

Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less room.

So someone may weigh a stone more then someone else but be the same dress size or smaller as they are more toned than the 'lighter' person.

Throw out your scales and swap them for a tape measure.

I am lighter now than on my wedding day. But I am much more podgy and unfit.

Inches matter much more than pounds.

Furoshika Thu 22-Nov-12 14:01:12

5'8" and 11st 12lb, size 14. Definitely overweight. Spent my twenties between 9st and 10st, my thirties between 10st 7lb and 11st, and now in my forties have crept up. I look good at 10st 7, size 12.

I am 5'7 an currently weigh around 9st10 I think. I think this is fine and I'm comfy with it, although I did love being 8.5 stone, it was just too much like hard work and deprivation. I went up to 13+ stone whilst pregnant and am happy that I eventually returned to an easier weight without much effort.

wilbur Thu 22-Nov-12 14:06:26

I'm 5'8" and weight 10st 3lbs (pear-shaped, muscular and small boobs). Prefer to be slightly under 10st as that makes me a comfortable size 12 on my bottom half, which is my benchmark. If I were to try and get to a size 10, my face would look like wrinkly death - the face/arse equation is very true after 40. About 3 years ago I lost 20lbs after carrying the "baby weight" around til ds2 was 4. It was hard to lose but worth it for me. Doubt I could go much lower without having to stop eating entirely and it's def getting harder as I get older.

Bride1 Thu 22-Nov-12 14:18:58

I am just under 5 ft 8 and weigh 9st 7lb--9st 9lb, depending on time of month and where I am in my 5:2 cycle. I am 48. I weighed more than this for quite a bit of my twenties.

blondassassin Thu 22-Nov-12 15:14:00

5'8" and 9st 2 - No boobs, all muscle! Muscle definitely weighs more than fat.

PoshPaula Thu 22-Nov-12 15:15:11

legojunkie - point taken, you're right. I'm not overweight, it's a control thing to be honest.

10outof10 Thu 22-Nov-12 16:26:03

5ft 8 and 10stone 10. Wouldn't mind being 10st 2, but would mean having to sacrifice my addiction to wine gums.

ExitPursuedByMarieAntoinette Thu 22-Nov-12 16:31:04

Where are all the Tongans when you need them?

<whistles>

Not saying.

cardamomginger Thu 22-Nov-12 16:31:24

5 ft 7.5 inches and 8 stone 10. Am a size 8-10.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now