Please note: This topic is for discussions about sponsored events Mumsnet are recruiting for. It's not the place for promoting other events. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss hosting an event with Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Add your own French Goat's Cheese related tip or recipe - you could win a cheesy hamper worth £100

(64 Posts)
NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 25-Nov-11 14:23:22

On 24 November 16 MNers, 2 MN Blogging Network bloggers, GeraldineMumsnet and NewGirlHelenMumsnet all went along to a cookery school in Central London to learn about, cook with and sample lots of French goat's cheeses.

This thread is for their feedback but we'd like to open this up to all of MN - so if you didn't attend please do add your own tip, comment or recipe featuring French goat's cheese to this thread. Everyone who does so will be entered into a prize draw where one person will win a hamper of French goat's cheeses, French wine and cheese labels worth £100. Feel free to upload your own recipes to the MN recipe pages or share any you learnt about on this thread.

If you attended the event, please let us know all about it - we'd like to know...

What was the highlight of your Easy Cheesey Chèvre masterclass experience?

Did you find the cheese tasting seminar provided you with some interesting facts, tips and advice on French goat's cheese? If so please share!

Was there anything that surprised you about French goat's cheese that you didn't know before?

After tasting the French goat's cheeses did you have a particular favourite? Here's the list of cheeses you would have seen:
French goat's cheese log - French goat's cheese mini log - Spreadable fresh French goat's cheese - French goat's cheese camembert - Selles-sur-Cher
- Crottin de Chavignol - Sainte-Maure de Touraine - Valençay - Banon - Rocamadour - Tomme de chèvre

Were you surprised by any of the flavours of the French goat's cheeses? If so, how?

Have you been encouraged to experiment more with French goat's cheese as an ingredient following the masterclass?

Were you previously aware of the nutritional benefits of French goat's cheese?

Were you aware of the variety of French goat's cheese available here in the UK?

Did you enjoy Sophie's French goat's cheese recipes? Do you plan to recreate them at home?

Would you recommend French goat's cheese to a friend or family member?

Did you enjoy the Caves de Tourangelles Touraine Sauvignon Blanc wine? Do you think you would buy this? (RRP around £8.50)

Plus any other information you'd like to share with MN.

Many thanks
MNHQ

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Dec-11 15:52:54

Hi - the team at French Goat's cheese wanted me to pass on the following: "Thanks again everyone for your feedback - great to hear your comments and tips. In terms of some of your questions you can find an extensive range of French goat's cheeses in most good delicatessens and supermarkets, French markets and cheese shops. The delicious Caves de Tourangelles Touraine Sauvignon Blanc wine you drank is available from The Good Wine Shop in Kew and at Nicolas stores. Enjoy!

We've also noticed some comments on the muffins and would recommend that if you are re-creating them at home you leave them in the oven for a full 20 minutes until they are well risen and golden. As we only had a short time with you at the event we would have liked them to be in the oven for a bit longer but hopefully next time round they will be perfect and will make a great afternoon tea treat!"

wahwahwah Tue 06-Dec-11 18:02:48

Hate to be a pooper... Bit didn't ppd say she wasn't there? I. Which CSS I do help she gets lots and lots of lovely goats cheese and wine and has her own tasting!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 06-Dec-11 12:36:30

Hi
Thanks for all the feedback, tips, recipes etc. All wonderful!
I put you all into a hat and paulapantsdown is the winner of the hamper! Well done.

MoTeaVate Sun 04-Dec-11 17:50:37

Chop up some sun dried tomatoes and mash them up with a nice soft goats cheese. Stuff it into a chicken breast and wrap it in streaky bacon (smoked if you like). Pin it together with cocktail sticks or the like and fry on all sides until browned. then bung it straight into the oven (an oven-proof griddle works great guns for this) and cook until the chicken is not pink, but still moist and the cheese is oozy. Mmmmm.

Alternative more detailed recipe

inzidoodle Sat 03-Dec-11 19:57:18

My favorite very easy family recipe

Part cook a sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
add chopped sweet potato, butternut squash and red onion
cook for 20-30mins
just before end add cubes of french goats cheese

serve...yum!

Guadalupe Sat 03-Dec-11 09:06:32

I've hardly been able to make myself read this thread as I was so disappointed I couldn't make it in the end. I have, however, and I am extremely envious!

Is it really lower fat? My one and only recipe for goats cheese is certainly not low fat however it started out. grin

I fry up leftover potatoes with garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Then stir in a chopped up [rind] goats cheese and let it cook and melt and coat everything until it forms a delicious crust on the bottom. Break up and toss it all in a bowl with a green salad and a large glass of wine and eat in front of favourite tv programme.

There, fried cheese, potatoes and wine on the sofa, though of course you could remove the wine and the sofa and up it's health benefits.

I will definitely be trying some of these other recipes. Glad you all had a great time.

gazzalw Sat 03-Dec-11 08:49:35

Yes, I forgot my manners. A big thank you to Mumsnet for inviting me along! Enjoyed myself immensely and lovely to come up from the 'Burbs for a glam, foodie trip into London!

We haven't done it yet but I reckon there's a place for doing a French version of Moussaka using a goat's cheese rather than Feta...Watch this space!

CheeryCherry Fri 02-Dec-11 22:27:13

Mmmmmm envious of all you goats cheese tasters! Quick and very easy buffet recipe - bake small short crust pastry tarts, while still warm, fill with a spoonful of caramelised onion chutney(home made or bought) and add a nice slab of goats cheese on top. Grill for a few minutes to let it just colour/melt a little...and eat as many as you can before the guests arrive!

Lilyloo Thu 01-Dec-11 18:10:22

A very nice recipe passed on to me via a veggie friend

Ingredients
2 small butternut squash
garlic clove , crushed
3 tbsp olive oil
a pinch dried chilli flakes
1 tsp thyme , chopped
courgette , cut into 2cm chunks
red pepper , cut into 2cm chunks
2 small red onions , cut into thin wedges
200g cherry tomatoes
50g pine nuts
100g goat's cheese , crumbled
1 tbsp breadcrumbs
1 tbsp parsley , chopped
1 tbsp parmesan

Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds then cut criss-cross patterns over the cut-side of each one. Mix together the garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, chilli and thyme and brush this mixture over the flesh. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the flesh is tender.
To make the filling, put the courgette, pepper and onion in a roasting tin and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season and roast for about 20-25 minutes until tender and starting to brown at the edges. Add the cherry tomatoes and pine nuts and cook for another 10 minutes.
Mix the breadcrumbs, parsley and parmesan. Arrange the roasted vegetables and goat's cheese in the squash halves, scatter with the breadcrumb mix and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden and bubbling.

Is very yummy and really quick and easy to prepare.

DestinationUnknown Thu 01-Dec-11 12:14:11

Ok, here's my feedback from a great event.

Highlight: The talk by the cheese man (sorry can't remember his name) - really interesting, well delivered, entertaining and spontaneous.

Did you find the cheese tasting seminar provided you with some interesting facts, tips and advice on French goat's cheese? If so please share!

Yes very interesting to learn about the different types, the origin, what to do with them.

Was there anything that surprised you about French goat's cheese that you didn't know before?

I hadn't really thought about the lactose intolerance aspect, good to know in case this is an issue for any friends or their dc. I also didn't know about how much the goats' diet and their proximity to billy goats could affect the taste of the cheese!

After tasting the French goat's cheeses did you have a particular favourite?

I loved the Selles-sur-Cher, the Crottin de Chavignol and the Rocamadour

Were you surprised by any of the flavours of the French goat's cheeses? If so, how?

I love ash-covered goats cheese but it was surprising how different they tasted when you could try three one after another. I hadn't appreciated before how they varied.

Have you been encouraged to experiment more with French goat's cheese as an ingredient following the masterclass?

Not yet but I will, some of the recipes looked great and I really enjoyed the fishcakes we made.

No!

I live near a great cheese shop and also have a Waitrose nearby so do get quite a good selection on offer locally.

Did you enjoy Sophie's French goat's cheese recipes? Do you plan to recreate them at home?

Enjoyed the fishcakes and will make. Muffins were fun to make, I couldn't stay to take mine home but judging by the comments I don't think I would make them!

Yes definitely.

Did you enjoy the Caves de Tourangelles Touraine Sauvignon Blanc wine? Do you think you would buy this? (RRP around £8.50)

I did enjoy it, it went surprisingly well with the cheese. Probably would buy - perhaps if there was a discount for 6 bottles.

Thanks again for a great event.

bluebirdsunshine Thu 01-Dec-11 09:56:33

Thanks Filly smile Blogging is so addictive, I love it.

moonbells Thu 01-Dec-11 08:48:43

I wish I'd noticed the trial - would have entered for it in a shot!

I do like French goat's cheese anyway, though most of the ones I've tried have been bought direct from farms over there. I have bought the log-shaped ones over here for cheeseboards. I have a couple of friends who are intolerant of cow's milk and can eat goat's. It's really nice to see the selection (nice website) now available. Thanks!

Fillybuster Wed 30-Nov-11 17:52:28

Bluebirdsunshine....great blog smile

lambethlil Wed 30-Nov-11 14:24:23

Did you find the cheese tasting seminar provided you with some interesting facts, tips and advice on French goat's cheese?

Yes- greatly enjoyed it- the cheese and the experience.

Didn't know it was lower cholestetol, hadn't thought, but of course ++ from small suppliers.

After tasting the French goat's cheeses did you have a particular favourite? Here's the list of cheeses you would have seen:
French goat's cheese log - French goat's cheese mini log - Spreadable fresh French goat's cheese - French goat's cheese camembert - Selles-sur-Cher
- Crottin de Chavignol - Sainte-Maure de Touraine - Valençay - Banon - Rocamadour - Tomme de chèvre*

Tomme de chèvre- delicious.

Very mild- loved the hard cheese-Tomme de chèvre, quite nutty.

Not yet, but will try cooking with the philly type.

Not before- am now! smile

I don't tend to buy from delicatessens, but supermarkets- the event spurred me on to be more adventurous.

I loved the cooking part- the process was great fun and the recipes v. tasty- muffins not a success.

Definitely.

I don't drink and definitely missed the mouth feel of wine with so much cheese! DH says it was v. good.

mamado Wed 30-Nov-11 11:38:19

oh, and I seem to have started lurking in the cheese aisle more often than usual!

mamado Wed 30-Nov-11 11:37:14

Since attending the masterclass I can't seem to stop eating goat's cheese! Caramalised garlic and left-over goat's cheese tart (Ottolengi recipe) was lovely... have ordered goat's cheese twice in restaurants since last thursday (don't normally eat out that often but its been birthday season!smile) and have made a veggie version of the fish cakes with herbs, hard goats cheese, spring onions and the melting middle for tonight!

I think you've kick-started an obsession MN! grin

wahwahwah Wed 30-Nov-11 11:21:53

Extra cheese in the shoppong basket today - soft stuff for spreading on digestive biscuits, and goat feta! Yum yum yum.

bluebirdsunshine Tue 29-Nov-11 16:10:58

I had such a great time wolfing down goats cheese last week. Thanks MN for organising and thanks to the peeps at Easy Cheesey Chevre for making it such a great event.

I've reviewed it on my blog so if anyone wants to look at that mega cheeseboard one more time take a look here.

Lovely to meet you all and here's to much more chevre munching to come! smile

gazzalw Mon 28-Nov-11 16:15:06

The anecdotes plus eating the fishcakes with a nice glass or 3 of white wine.

Yes indeed. There is certainly more to Goats cheese than the types to be found in the supermarket. There is a French farmers market locally but it appears quite irregularly so I’ll certainly look out for cheeses the next time it appears.

The black one rolled in cinders was a surprise.

After tasting the French goat's cheeses did you have a particular favourite?
The Rocamadour definitely, The runnier,the smellier,the better for me.

The variety of subtle tastes and textures was a surprise. Far better than the white pasty stuff I sometimes get from Sainsburys.

Certainly, we’ll eat nothing else ever again. Cheese Bolognaise may be a bit tricky but I’ll give it a try.

Some yes but didn't realise that it contains Omega 3.

Not at all. It’s a secret almost as well kept as what happens in a Masonic lodge unless of course you shop in Waitrose on a regular basis.

Loved the fishcake, never got so much as a sniff of the muffins as my DD and DW snaffled both of them. Wife said she didn't think the muffins tasted enough of goat's cheese and thinks that black olives would have worked better than the green ones! The cheesecake was a revelation - delicious and a lot less rich than a traditionally cream cheese based one! Yes, As my immediate family I don’t need to. They troughed the lot as soon as my back was turned.

Not sure, could 12 bottles be delivered to my house so I can have a real try at making my mind up?

The Loire region is also the birthplace of Feudalism. The Dukes of Anjou consolidated their gains by castle building whenever they acquired more territory. Fulk III Le Noir (972 – 21 June 1040) built over 100 castles (Donjons) in the region. He also had his wife burnt at the stake for committing adultery with a goatherd so perhaps there are two more explanations for the cinder rolled cheeses. One after Fulk the Black ( an evil and terrifying man) and secondly to commemorate the Countess.

VeronicaSpeedwell Mon 28-Nov-11 15:26:58

Mould-ripened soft cheeses like chèvre are considered a listeria risk, even if pasteurised. Believe me, I have studied the detail!

wahwahwah Mon 28-Nov-11 15:22:22

Err I think you can eat it - it was all pasteurised...

VeronicaSpeedwell Mon 28-Nov-11 15:12:07

With this thread you are taunting the pregnant cheesophiles amongst us angry.(I know I can cook it, or eat the hard ones, but, but, but!) <Writes plans for enormous cheese fest in diary for May 2012.>

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Nov-11 14:42:48

Lovely communal eating, drinking and cooking with fellow goat's cheese enthusiasts.

Nice to have it confirmed that it is lower cholesterol etc than cow's milk cheeses. Like many other replies, it was really useful to find out how to store goat's cheese. And that you don't have to fuss about storing blue cheeses with non-blue cheese. (And useful French vocab; crottin = poo.)

Didn't know that some of them were "AOC". Or that the goat's diet affects the flavour of the cheese so much. And hadn't known that you could get older goat's cheeses, so good trying the Rocamadour.

- Crottin de Chavignol - Sainte-Maure de Touraine - Valençay - Banon - Rocamadour - Tomme de chèvre*

Particularly liked the pyramid-shaped ash-covered cheese and the Rocamadour. Was least keen on the final small medallion-y shaped one.

Some of them were much stronger flavours than I associate with goat's cheese (mainly in a good way).

Definitely, particularly for desserts.

Yes, because lactose-intolerance children makes you look at non-cow's milk alternatives in forensic detail!

Ditto the answer above (and because I love goat's cheese anyway).

Yes. Liked the fishcake better than the the muffin recipe, but LOVED the cheesecake recipe in the booklet we were given (and the sample I got to take back to MNHQ). Haven't made cheesecake with goat's cheese (don't know why it hadn't occurred to me before, but it hadn't) but definitely will now.

I think they should give me a job as an Ambassador! Happy to extol its virtues till the goats come home.

I think I might just force myself to. And partic now that c£8 seems increasingly standard price for a bottle of wine. <weeps>

Thanks to Ann and Helen for letting me go smile Lovely to meet the MNetters I met <am chowing on British Kidderton Ash as I type>.

wahwahwah Mon 28-Nov-11 14:42:31

No Helen, your highlight was meeting all the lovely mumsnetters
!

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Nov-11 14:12:28

Wow - what a cheese bonanza!

Highlight for me was discovering the really creamy goat's cheese equivalent of cream cheese - delicious! Now I'll have to try and work out what it was and buy it!

Loads of interesting tips and advice - how to store it was really helpful - upside-down cheese tuppaware is now on my Xmas list (tragic though that seems!)

I was surprised by how many different textures and tastes you can get - so often you only see the log style one in restaurants and shops - I really enjoyed the hard one as well as the cream cheese one. I also didn't know that it was lactose-free - v interesting to know.

My 'everyday' fave was the spreadable fresh French goat's cheese and my 'special occasion' fave is the crottin de Chavignol

I'll definitely be cooking with Goat's cheese more often - at the moment I only ever eat it on its own or on pizza - am going to see what else I can come up with that includes the melt in the middle feature of the fishcake.

Wasn't aware of the nutritional benefits of French goat's cheese before but as I said above, interesting to know it's lactose-free.

The fishcake was delicious, as was the pear and walnut salad. I didn't get to try the muffins but I love rosemary so might give these a go at home soon.

I have been banging on about goat's cheese all weekend so yes, I would and have recommended French goat's cheese!

The wine was lovely - really light and fresh - it might pull me away from whatever's on special offer for a special occasion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now