Misery loves company: anyone want to join me on a support thread for those desperate and demoralised by their 8/9/10 mo sleep?

(1000 Posts)
Suchanamateur Tue 11-Dec-12 14:36:13

Bloody sleep regression. It's like 4 months all over again but worse because it felt (briefly) like we were getting somewhere. Feck. Anyone else want to share tales of woe or is it (a) just me or (b) way too depressing to post about..?

Have you raised the cot head end fee?

As predicted Stitch is only just submitting to sleep now, I am so tired and just want to go to bed.

And once again, we're back to interminable nighttime coughing at a point where it looks like he might be making some tiny progress with his sleep. This is like Groundhog Day. Someone find me a wall to beat my head against - I might achieve something doing that.

I. Need. Some. Sleep.

Sharing a bed with DT1 is like sharing with a ferret on acid.

Still all coughing here.

2 out of 3 (inc toddler) up 5:45, DT2 joined at 6:20. Yawn. I feel like we will never make progress with DT1's sleep...

HearMyRoar Fri 01-Feb-13 17:39:30

Just so you know... Sleep does not beget sleep. It in fact begets a night so horrendous I can't even bare to recall the details except to say it involved a 3 hour wake up and no more then 1 hours sleep at a time.

Dp woke dd up after 90mins of nap this afternoon so traumatised was he by last night. Hoping tonight will be better.

Yeah...long naps are lethal. On the rare occasion where it looks like DS is going to sleep past two hours I always wake him up. I had a feeling of impending doom when you said she'd slept for three hours. Poor you biscuit

feekerry Fri 01-Feb-13 19:53:48

Sounds like we all have it pretty shit atm. Bloody illness.

Well as predicted last night was just awful. I don't know how i am actually still standing. Dd woke with the most awful cough/cold. Thought it was teeth but now think its a full blown cold. She has had 4 naps today and is v v grumpy. Great night ahead..not

Two hours is my limit for Stitch too, learnt that the hard way with dd1.

I got a four hour stretch last night once Stitch went to sleep.

Still no sign of period, felt nauseous today, will be POAS in the morning <slightly worried emoticon>

HearMyRoar Fri 01-Feb-13 22:27:42

3rd wake up. Not a happy baby. I think her missing fang is coming through.

poas! Oh gosh! I know its wrong but i'm actually a bit excited. Sorry... grin

Stitch asleep, but dd1 had a nightmare and is now in our bed. If it is not one, it is the other. What am I going to do if it is number three?! <hides under duvet, sticks fingers in ears, lalalalala>

Ok so I POAS and <drumroll>

I am not pregnant. Huge sighs of relief.

Was up between 4-6am with Stitch, who decided to poo, so was wide awake after her nappy change.

<Pats Mummy Stitch on the back>

Well, DS decided to sleep from 6:45pm until 3.15am with only ONE wake up at 11:30pm. Amazing! But my right boob got engorged and despite expressing and several feeds off that side I'm in a lot of pain. Why must every silver lining have a cloud?

<Limps off to Breast and Bottle Feeding for sympathy>

HearMyRoar Sat 02-Feb-13 19:17:56

Phew! Congratulations Stitch!

I really couldn't imagine having another baby now. I love dd to bits bit don't think I could cope with another one confused

Last night wasn't as bad as the night before but still an awful lot of wake ups. The worst thing at the moment is as her top teeth are getting longer bfing is getting more and more painful. I've started really dreading feeds and I was quite liking it before. I think maybe I need to get over to the feeding boards and see if anyone has some advice. I tried going to see a local bf counsellor about it but they were spectacularly unhelpful. hmm

feekerry Sat 02-Feb-13 20:37:50

hear i have found after few weeks latch seems to go back to normal. however if dd is tired or being lazy then she seems to slip off and that's when i feel her teeth.
dd slept all night last night. i should be pleased but I'm not as it was.only because she is ill. poor little thing. she really is suffering

DT1 has two bottom teeth, DT2 none!! They are 10 months in 2 days.

Slept all night with an illness, get her to cough in a bottle and send it to me feek!! Hope she's better soon.

I have mastitis, all because DS decided to sleep for a decent length of time. I'm upgrading my previous assessment of the whole sleep situation from 'BALLS' to 'BULLSHIT'.

He slept well again last night, 7-3ish with only one wake-up at midnight (we'll draw a thin veil over the four wake-ups after that), but of course I was up expressing every two hours and feeling too crapola to sleep the rest of the time.

I really don't fucking believe this. sad

Aw Elphaba that is bullshit. I had mastitis when I was 15 and not even lactating, it bloody hurts sad I remember my mum made me alternate hot and cold shower in a circular motion over the breast. Also cold cabbage leaves in the bra helped too. I had a blocked duct a few months ago and found massaging towards the nipple helped if it is not too painful for you (best results in Bath or shower). If you are on anti-B's try a take a pro biotic like acidophilus to help keep your gut flora up and keep an eye out for nappy rash in your ds, my two got bad nappy rash when I took anti-B's.

Stitch went from 10.30pm to 2.30am last night, then she pooed, but dh dealt with it. Then she woke at 6 and fed for a whole hour. DH let me get a lie in this morning which was nice.

HearMyRoar Sun 03-Feb-13 17:30:42

That really is crappy elph. sad

Dd wasn't terrible but not great. She had a big crying session today which she only does when she has a tooth coming through so I am expecting her ,missing fang any day now.

She has just eaten loads for dinner. Had a massive bowl of stew, then some of mine, and then an apricot and a banana for pudding. This has took be a good sign...right...<see my hopeful face>

I am starting to be a bit suspicious that she maybe has an oat intolerance. We started having porridge for breakfast a few weeks ago and dd started getting awfuil wind and waking in the night farting ajf crying around the same time. I didn't make any connection until we ran out of oats for a few days and her sleep started to improve, then got oats back in and she's waking and farting again. We've stopped the porridge for a couple of days now and last night was definitely a bit better, she's also suddenly eating much better again. I think maybe I need to summon the courage to go see the gp. I just always worry that I might just be being all pfb and seeing connections where there isn't one.

feekerry Sun 03-Feb-13 19:26:38

dd slept all night again but still pretty unwell poor thing. horrible cough and cold.
oh.dear elphba that really is truly shit.

elph, feed so bottom lip is near the sore bit, massage it even though that hurts like hell, and chant "this too shall pass" while necking your anti-b's. I've had about 7 bouts feeding the dts, too much milk= blocked ducts and a bad feeder = mastitis... so horrible. Well, 4 true mastitis and 3 lingering, very sore blocked ducts but only causing mild temperature which settled without abx. It does get better quickly with the anti-b's though I've found.

I'm suspicious about dairy intolerance not gone for dt2. His sleep is crap again, but he's also unwell, temp 38.8 before bed sad

lucylookout Sun 03-Feb-13 22:49:52

Hello, can I join you please? DS is only 6.5mo but his sleep is and always has been truly hideous. I'm on the 5th wake up since 7pm. He usually wakes up about 12 times a night although I resort to co sleeping after midnight. Feeling quite desperate that it'll never improve although feel heartened by those of you with older bubs that only wake up 4 or 5 times a night (and those of you who have experienced a sleep thru, you are completely out of my league). More than the tiredness what I hate most is the lack of evening time. I can't relax as I'm waiting for the monitor to go off the whole time. Ironically DS goes to sleep quite easily, by himself in the cot with only the tiniest amount of shushing. That's how the books tell you to do it isn't, so I'm doing it 'right' and have no idea why he wakes so much angry

Hi lucylookout and welcome, it gets easier I promise you (dd1 was similar to your ds).

If you or anyone else on here likes a bit of company and a virtual cake during the many night feeds there is this thread too.

DogandBeth Mon 04-Feb-13 03:09:25

Hello is anyone else awake? Having another hellish night with dd she.s 14month and has never even been near sleeping through. At the moment I'm lucky if I get 2 hours sleep from her. Currently been up since 1 she's been feeding all that time and I'm sore as hell. Got big work meeting tomo, thought of it sending me into panic. Keep trying to unlatch her when she appears to have dropped off, she immediately starts screaming. She is dc 2 dc 1also has sleep and behavioural issues. Getting so frustrated. Feel like such a crap mum. Sorry for the rant don't really expect anyone to read it just thought it might help to write it down as all feels so bleak at the mo.

<hugs dogandbeth>. Is she teething (molars)? Have you tried feeding lying down so you can snooze while she feeds? You are not a crap mum. How old is your eldest?

DogandBeth Mon 04-Feb-13 06:47:36

Thanks stitch for replying, guess it could be teething combined with a slight snuffle that's making it so extreme at the mo.
Always used to feed lying down but got too painful recently so had to stop, am working back up to it thoughg. Was hoping to have stopped bf with her by now, as had done with older one (4) by this age, but she has other ideas!!! Thanks again for replying means a lot. Hope your night didn't go too badly?

DogandBeth Mon 04-Feb-13 06:56:16

Hi Lucy just to say I know what you mean about evenings, I am lucky if I get 2 hours in the evening between feeding so I do sympathise.

This thread is not accepting new messages.