does anyone else think the mn bake day is a bit too stepford wives?

(39 Posts)
hatwoman Tue 12-Jan-10 12:19:38

don't get me wrong. I love cooking. and I've often been on the food topics. and used recipes on here. but given the tendency for the media to give us a drumming that picture of those perfect buns and the idea of a bake day just seems a bit too...1950s. perhaps we could counter it with a career day? or a car maintenace day? or a celebrate feminism day...

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 12-Jan-10 12:23:09

basic car maintainance would be good. i still have noidea how or where to ut oil in and have to get a man to help.

bibbitybobbitysantahat Tue 12-Jan-10 12:25:15

Aye.

Will it be knitting next?

TeamEdward Tue 12-Jan-10 12:28:26

The bake day was wonderful - throughly enjoyed it.
I wouldn't mind seeing other events/tasks undertaken (but I don't know about tinkering with my car's carburettor whilst balancing the laptop on my knee...) grin

<hides knitting from Bibbity>

I didn't participate but I thought it was a great idea. I do spend all my day cooking, cleaning, creating <won't use knitting word> and generally being a 1950s housewife and I love it.

I think most of MN already celebrates careers and feminism, but I am happy with a car maintenance day or other "minority" interests.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Jan-10 12:29:09

What's wrong with perfect buns we say. You can still be a feminist and like buns can't you? Actually think a DIY/decorating day would be great - we just need a Handy Annie...

oh yes diy/decorating - bring it on! Can I nominate my house as the trial home? Very large, very undecorated, very much in need of an expert! wink

TeamEdward Tue 12-Jan-10 12:31:41

Justine? Can we have Dan back soon??

HuwEdwards Tue 12-Jan-10 12:32:07

I mentioned the bake day to DP. He said,

'I thought MN was more right on - they'll be having a cute kitten picture day next.'

It was in jest

He did get a whack

But yes think we need to ensure there's balance.

Ewe Tue 12-Jan-10 12:34:30

I think that in isolation it could be perceived as a bit stepford wifey but given all the political, literature, eco issues etc that are usually the topic of webchats it's fine.

Imo, the rest of Mumsnet in it's entirety counters it.

shonaspurtle Tue 12-Jan-10 12:36:28

I bake cakes and then I eat 'em. No Surrendered Wife about my baking.

hatwoman Tue 12-Jan-10 12:43:09

oh I know baking and feminism are perfectly compatible. and I know the rest of mn does in fact counter-balance it. but we all know how deeply people/journos delve. and at the moment, the perfect buns are very prominent. they are the front page. and if I didn;t know mn and was popping in for my first visit they would put me off. in the same way I've never opened up a copy of Good Housekeeping. despite the fact it's apparently quite good. (though I may be confusing my mags)

CatIsSleepy Tue 12-Jan-10 12:44:22

i didn't take part (pesky kids taking up all my time) but I do love baking and Dan Lepard's recipes are blooming fantastic (love his column in the grauniad)
it's not so different to ole Gordon ramsay and his live cooking shows is it?

hatwoman Tue 12-Jan-10 12:44:43

huwedwards - there was once a cute animal thread. not a day, admittedly, but still. (and I participated, iirc)

hatwoman Tue 12-Jan-10 12:48:47

a health day would be good. some good awareness raising,reminders to get our smears and check our breasts etc. mn could do a mass sign-up event thingy - how many women can check their breasts on the same day/call the doc to book their overdue smear.

bibbitybobbitysantahat Tue 12-Jan-10 12:54:40

Talking of Stepford Wives - what happened to the Mumsnet makeovers? Where can I see those?

CatIsSleepy Tue 12-Jan-10 12:55:41

oh christ I need to get a smear done

Surely that's the joy of MN though - that we can be baking muffins one day, talking to the prime minister the next and sniggering at bumsex on another?!

bibbitybobbitysantahat Tue 12-Jan-10 13:00:32

Or none of the above in my case!

policygarry Tue 12-Jan-10 13:02:35

Re. Handy Annie - I once helped to make this book - the author Alison Jenkins is v nice grin

Would LOVE a car maintenance workshop. I need that.

So in order to balance it out PLEASE can we have Jeremy Clarkson doing basic car maintenance, PLEASE grin

Now that I know that, policy, you'll definitely have to keep the garry part of your name ...

i missed bake day

BonjourIvressedeNoel Tue 12-Jan-10 13:09:33

I thought feminism was for women to have more chocies? i choose to bake. I love baking.

policygarry Tue 12-Jan-10 13:19:02

grinBIWI

I really do need to know about cars. I don't think I've ever so much as opened the bonnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now