Want to be a Mumsnet Local Editor? Step this way ...

(64 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 12:23:37

Mumsnet Local is growing all the time and we're on the look out for Mumsnetters who'd like to get involved in the project as Local Editors. Are you enthusiastic about where you live, keen on sharing the joy with other parents in your area - and looking for an excuse to spend even more time on Mumsnet? Then Mumsnet needs YOU.

What would you need to do? Well, the short answer is that we want each Local site to be the place where parents can get all the essential information and advice that they need about their neighbourhood from the experts - that is, the other parents who live there. We ask our Local Editors to be responsible for growing and nurturing their community by adding and editing listings, building a group of Local Ambassadors who organise regular meet-ups, and getting the word out in their area - and in return, have the right to sell advertising on the site to local businesses and keep 100% of the revenue.

That's the short answer. For the long one, please email local@mumsnet.com with 'interested in becoming a Local Editor' in the subject field, and we'll get back to you as soon as ever we can.

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 17:32:53

It might WouldBe, but for the most part we are finding it's the best way to touch base with people. And I'm Mumsnet Belfast, where school applications are still done on paper and people go hmm when you mention Twitter. grin

melliebobs Tue 21-May-13 17:40:29

Oooo I'm really interested in this. But how much of a commitment is it? I work full time but always have an evening and weekend to plough into stuff smile

Beechview Tue 21-May-13 18:03:15

I've sent an email as I'd love to get involved in this. (I also know the local Netmums rep so could organise a 'Share the Love' meet-up wink)

Mudwiggle Tue 21-May-13 18:07:01

Love MN, Twitter and FB - talk about enabling my social media addiction MNHQ! I've sent an email and will be on the twitter 'meet up' tonight for any tips and info.

CrushedWithIce Tue 21-May-13 18:09:09

Ooh, I've emailed....would love to 'big' my town up a bit.

<<wonders if that's a task too great for one person to manage>>

Can I join the Twitterage tonight. (Clueless with social media...bad start!)?

SilkySocksSinkShips Tue 21-May-13 18:11:37

I would definitely be interested - the Local section for my area is sadly lacking!

I work full time and sometimes have training needs with work, would it be manageable? I have pretty much most evenings free smile

I'll send an email.

Bear in mind, those of you who have a LE in your area already but want to help big up your town/county that we're always in need of Local Ambassadors too. A much less time-consuming task but no pay - although there are some perks!

As for how much time does it take, well, like with most things, the more you put in, the more you get out. It tends to be the LEs who put a lot of time and effort in who see the most results, although these are also somewhat dictated by the area they're targeting.

Some weeks I spend two or three hours a day on it, others I barely manage to check my emails. I'd say I was about average to low activity, but then I'm also a FT SAHM to a very active and able one year old. I spend most of my day fire fighting!

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 19:36:37

Like MakesCakes said, you get out what you put in, although some of us are working away and still not getting much.

::glares at Belfast people:: grin.

wonderstuff Tue 21-May-13 20:01:57

I got my handbook yesterday - v.excited about the whole thing. A legitimate reason to be on FB, Twitter and MN - what's not to like.

Goes off to find twitter chat, start Emma's to do list..

BreeVanDerTramp Tue 21-May-13 21:51:38

Have sent off my e-mail, sounds interesting!

I'm guessing there's no local for Akureyri in Iceland? sad

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 23:28:12

LoopyLooplaHoop

Is there a local abroad section yet please MNHQ?

Not yet Loopy, but we're talking about it!

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 23:31:28

mrscog

Emma - I sent my agreement back yesterday, hope you got it smile

Yes I did mrscog, thank you! I'll be sending the relevant documents tomorrow. Welcome! grin

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 23:34:55

TheHerringScreams

I'm guessing there's no local for Akureyri in Iceland? sad

Not yet Herring, but it may come one day

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 22-May-13 13:07:53

ooh i would love to have a go at this, how do i know if my area is any good for it? shall i just email and see?

One day this small town in a very unimportant country so far up no one sees it on the map will have it's moment hmm

Tee2072 Wed 22-May-13 17:16:18

Yes, ALovely. Send an email.

All the more reason it needs an LE, Herring!

LoopyLooplaHoop Wed 22-May-13 17:37:48

I have a keen DH with time on his hands and a lot of skill if you do, Emma. A key expat area that might be a good starting point?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 22-May-13 18:38:13

Email has been sent smile

lougle Thu 23-May-13 09:52:38

Emma, could you confirm you received my email? Thanks smile

redlac Thu 23-May-13 21:41:09

I've sent an email too

Kormachameleon Thu 23-May-13 21:46:21

Hi Emma, it's been a long time since I heard from you and am quite keen to get up and running with this, could you email me re update please my love

Beechview Sat 25-May-13 10:39:48

I've not heard back after an initial 'Thanks for your interest' email. Any news?

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 25-May-13 11:07:46

HI there
Unlikely to be any news on this today, I'm afraid as main office is v 9 to 5
but we'll certainly chase.
Thanks
MNHQ

lougle Sat 25-May-13 12:30:48

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now