Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - Spicing Up The Winter Nights With Rich Hot Chocolate And Thermal Tights!

(1000 Posts)
Mouseface Tue 27-Nov-12 21:13:48

Hello, I'm Mouse smile

I'm one of the Brave Babes travelling on this fantabulous Bus, on it's journey to the wonderful world of sobriety. smile

The great thing is, that the people on here are a real mixed bunch. Some are drinking regularly, some aren't. Some are sober and have been for any number of days, some weeks, months and yep, some even for years.

There's no judging pants allowed, no savoury flans either wink, just lots of unconditional support from many varied sources. Yes, some of us have been here from the start but please don't let that stop you posting, this thread is for EVERYONE and it always has been smile

If you'd like to have a look back, here are some links. One to the previous thread and one to the very first, and the reason we are all still here.

See you soon,

Mouse xx

PREVIOUS THREAD

FIRST EVER THREAD

Fairenuff Thu 06-Dec-12 22:57:34

Right, budge up babes I'm bringing the Christmas tree on board. It's been taking up far too much room on the roof-rack and it's about time we decorated it and brought some festive cheer to the bus.

Now, who's got the baubles and tinsel?

< suddenly realises everyone's gone to bed >

Ok, we'll do it tomorrow grin

Sweet dreams x

PS Who's in charge of carols?

And mince pies?

aliasjoey Thu 06-Dec-12 22:58:45

bathroom rug , sorry

Fairenuff Thu 06-Dec-12 22:59:32

Oh, hello greene and joey, I didn't see you there behind the foliage grin

greeneyed Thu 06-Dec-12 23:00:40

I can't be in charge of mince pies I'll eat them ALL! I've got some great baubles though grin

aliasjoey Thu 06-Dec-12 23:00:44

I did pretty well in charge of songs during the last road trip? <hopeful>

kotinka Thu 06-Dec-12 23:10:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kotinka Thu 06-Dec-12 23:13:07

kotinka Thu 06-Dec-12 23:13:53

babyjane1 Fri 07-Dec-12 08:01:54

Morning babes, it's cold and dark here but looking forward to a busy day with baby dd and taking older dd out for dinner (driving not drinking) and got my yoga in the morning so have a good day my lovelies and sending a warm hug to you all x x x

dementedma Fri 07-Dec-12 09:06:58

drags box of tinsel onto bus and starts artfully draping.

kikilondon Fri 07-Dec-12 09:08:41

Morning all. Seriously loving this sobriety! Have a lot more energy already and it's already becoming normal not to drink on sofa in evening....amazing! Xx

kotinka Fri 07-Dec-12 09:17:45

SobaSoma Fri 07-Dec-12 09:29:40

The spirits are high on the bus this morning! The wine witch didn't visit last night so am feeling bouncy too smile Ma how's your brother doing? Mine is visiting at the moment and although not drinking is very low. He's a depressive without a job, partner, friends or his own home (lives with our parents). He's an intelligent, attractive guy but so very damaged. I wish I could help him more.

Purple how was your date. We need to know! My house is full of booze hmm because I'm having people over tomorrow night. My plan is to not start drinking until they arrive (I'd usually open a bottle the moment I started cooking) and to pace myself WITH FOOD. Watch this space.

GirlsonFilm Fri 07-Dec-12 09:33:19

Hello all

May I board this bus? Drinking has been a thing for me for far too long and the reason I want/need to cut down now is I don't want my DDs to grow up thinking a bottle of wine a night and a pissed mummy is normal (I remember it from my childhood but I blame no one but myself for my drinking).

I've written down my five worst things I've done whilst drinking (think random acts with random people and you get the picture blush), and worked out just how much I spend each week on wine £100 plus...if nothing else that should remind me why I don't want to drink to excess.

I'm trying to only drink at weekends, but still fall way off when there's a high-day/holliday/any bloody excuse (writing Xmas cards being my latest).

Can't stomach the thought of AA so hope that you will be welcoming on my journey.

ps I'm currently learning carols with DD1 so will be happy to jpoin in with you ot grin

Mouseface Fri 07-Dec-12 10:08:38

Morning, tis me, Mouse

Girls - welcome to the Bus, just watch out for the pine needles and baubles rolling about the floor..... oh and Ma's tinsel has a habit of getting stuck on anything remotely fluffy as you wander past the tree! grin

You're welcome here whether you go to AA or not. This is a Bus for everyone, no judging, no cheese based flans wink and no personal attacks here, no sir.

We've all been there, done that so I doubt that you'd be on your own with anything that repulses you! I have lived my life in the gutter at times and done the most horrendously dangerous things to myself and put others at risk too..... blush sad

Anyway, I've just made some short crust pastry mince pies, they're still warm so help yourself. There's cinnamon coffee and freshly brewed tea too so dive in before they all get scoffed! grin

Mouseface Fri 07-Dec-12 10:29:50

So, I see that we are giving the Wine Witch a jolly good kick in the crotch currently and avoiding the need for the Readybrek Glow? Well done to those who are abstaining smile and to those who can't or aren't then just promise to be safe okay? The side-car is bloody freezing just now but it's there none the less for those who need it. xx

It's not easy at this time of year where the expectation to drink much more regularly is certainly higher than the norm. Even popping in to see a friend to drop off presents can result in an offer of a cheeky glass of white! And I'm talking 11am here........

<wonders if that's just her friends grin>

Seriously though, it's everywhere! BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE and then just in case you missed it, more BOOZE!! Argh!

I know that the build up is always much worse than the actual event but you'd have thought that The Powers That Be, who are constantly banging on about boozey Britain and Drink Aware etc..... would BAN adverts for alcohol on TV and treat it the same as they do smoking.... we had a short spell didn't we? Where they showed us just what drinking can do to our lives and our bodies, increase cancers etc but then nothing.

I've not seen a Christmas drink drive campaign yet, has anyone else? It seems that the supermarkets are only too happy to shove adds for their amazing booze deals and offers down our throats whilst at the same time, telling us to be responsible and to consume with care hmm

Mouseface Fri 07-Dec-12 10:41:08

Update on the Mouse house -

DH is getting slightly better, still has a really sore throat on one side but the tonsillitis is easing thank fuck grin

DD is having a hard time with her new braces, they are killing her teeth and make her talk funny so she's had the piss ripped out of her for a few days..... I just hope that she perseveres this time but who knows. I had braces for years so I know how hard it is but then again to her, I've been 37 for all my life!

Nemo is still very sore and the hole at the top of his mouth is now even bigger, or rather I can see more of it as the swelling goes down. I'm absolutely gutted for him. The thought of another operation is killing me. His sleep is better and he's having less nightmares so hopefully, he'll settle back in his own bedroom okay at the weekend.

His little voice sounds so odd, he's really upset about his feeding tube still being in too. He actually put lasagne in his mouth the other night <queue tears from me instantly> and said 'hmmmm, yummy'

He is wanting to eat and bite into food so much, he just needs to not be in pain I think.

Right enough of my waffling. Keep posting Babes, it really does help to get it all out in the open. Festering festive thoughts are the most dangerous kind, and they know it!

Sorry not to name check everyone buy I hope you're all okay for the day at least.

Be back later Brave Babes xxxxxx

GirlsonFilm Fri 07-Dec-12 10:59:16

Thanks Mouse I'll take you up on the mince pie - not had too many (yet) this year.

I'm off to the work's xmas do tonight and am driving so won't be drinking, which means I looking forward to a lovely hangover-free saturday morning with my DDs.

kotinka Fri 07-Dec-12 11:22:41

SobaSoma Fri 07-Dec-12 11:27:43

Mouse you're so right about booze advertising. Even DD remarked on it the other night, couldn't believe the amount on TV. Darling Nemo, is he going to be able to eat without his tube soon? June still can't swallow so it's all through the tube but she does love sucking things. Her favourite is MacDonalds fries which she then proceeds to spit out! Welcome Girls and enjoy your work do. Bet it's the first booze-free one ever!

Your mince-pies sound delish Mouse, can I have two?

dementedma Fri 07-Dec-12 12:55:29

<helps self to mincepies>
welcome*girls*. we are a bit full of festive cheer today but know our issues with alcohol are serious ones so please take a seat - watch out for the tinsel - and feel free to chat.
I nominate indie for the bus fairy.
<runs away>

kotinka Fri 07-Dec-12 12:57:44

kotinka Fri 07-Dec-12 12:58:08

GirlsonFilm Fri 07-Dec-12 16:23:52

Hopefully sober, but just been offered a lift (and so tempted to say go on then a few galsses won't hurt! hmm), they're not big drinkers at work so hopefully temptation will not come my way. I'll let you know if I'm successful tomorrow......

aliasjoey Fri 07-Dec-12 16:26:10

welcome girls

yes feeling better, realised these problems all started when I switched from seroxat to mirtazapine. so am determined to try again with ssri despite side-effects. am on 30mg mirtaz and 20mg Prozac (don't worry I googled it, it's okay to take both!)

am trying very hard not to use the diazepam, because I have a feeling it would reach tolerance too easily. instead I have some lemonbalm herbal tablets, podcasts from the mental health foundation... and of course the Bus.

I do long for oblivion from worries. someone smashed my wing-mirror while I was at a meeting. DH will be furious and ask why I have to go to these meetings. I could refuse, but that won t do me any favours at work.

DDs arms are scratched to bits, which is making her self-conscious, and my mother suggested it might be psychological. and a ton of other niggles which I should be able to cope with.

upshot is I believe diazepam might not be such a good idea to take. unless actually in the middle of a panic attack. I could see me becoming dependent on it too quickly. it's similar to alcohol in that way?

sorry for the long post. it's only by writing all this down I have just realised how close I came to popping a diazepam just because someone cracked my mirror! shock

This thread is not accepting new messages.