Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can i have some advice please.

(94 Posts)
carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 16:43:41

Can i have some advice please.
(3 Posts)

Add message | Report | Message poster
carernotasaintMon 23-Jul-12 16:07:31

Its about my DBs daughter whos 17. Her parents my DB and his ex split up when she was a toddler.
DN is now at college but hasnt been doing all her coursework so to punish her she has been stopped from going on hols with DB. Shes also been made to close her Twitter account and they have confiscated her mobile phone (its a very old phone with NO internet access.) just calls and texts. Last time they confiscated the same mobile phone for TWO YEARS. There is no way she can contact extended family.
At the moment she is on a placement locally and has asked me if i have a spare phone she can have. I do (i was going to give it to her anyway as DH bought me a new one for my birthday.) this phone DOES have internet access but i would rather she had a phone just for safety sake.
Over the weekend theres been another problem. Shes managed to get a message through to me that her younger brothers used to beat her with certain implements.
I told DH and hes told me not to take it seriously. Hes also told me not to sneak her the phone as it will cause trouble for DB and he might be stopped from seeing her. What the hell do i do

izzyizin Mon 23-Jul-12 22:10:00

Apologies - your dn not your dd. Possibly a Freudian slip because I now feel on a mission to get her out from under what seems to be harsh punishment for a misdeamour that so many teenagers commit.

carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 22:10:23

offred im not going to go in with my big size fives shouting the odds. Thats not me. Thats why i asked for advice on here first.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ (or words to that effect)

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:11:38

I do agree the only thing that matters is the child's wellbeing but I also think it absolutely will not help to try and sort this out on your own. If she is being abused the mum will blame you for being interfering and unreasonable and that will delay your DN getting help. If you are being wound up then you will just make things worse.

carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 22:13:12

Thanks Offred. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Im sorry youve been having a hard time. Believe me if my DB was anything like your ex i would NOT be harassing you like your exes sister is. How would she like it if the boot was on the other foot.

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:14:24

On what you have said you cannot be sure there is anything going on. I'm not sure your position in the family is conducive to actually helping. Obviously you have seen the child and how she looks/is feeling, if something doesn't sit right please call someone official and objective and get the family on the radar.

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:15:29

I'm sorry too. Xp has dcs overnight (last time did not go well) and I am nervous about it. I also have a generally unfortunate manner grin

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:16:20

Btw his sister also thinks I am evil and he is great, he is charismatic and lies a lot.

carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 22:16:43

How old are your dcs offred?

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:18:32

7 and 5 confused last time he was smoking in the house and ds got croup and he thought he was wheezy and didn't call anyone because he thought he'd get told off for smoking (my interpretation)

carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 22:18:36

Offred in my case i think my DB needs to not be so apathetic. Beleive me i dont see my DB as charismatic. That would be weird.

carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 22:20:51

Bloody hell Offred what an irresponsible selfish git. No wonder you are stressed at him having them. He should have called someone and not smoked near them in the first place. Fucking moron.

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:20:54

Ha! Yes, I think his dsis sees him in an inappropriately sexual way confused. But I also don't think my situation reflects on yours other than that because you are the sis if the ex it is really difficult to get involved and you need to protect your objectivity in order to protect your DN if something is going on IYSWIM?

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:22:53

He lies, even to them (ds gets hysterically upset if you suggest his dad smokes nevermind in the house) about smoking in the house but write on fb that he has dropped cigs down radiator etc and they STINK of cigs when they come home after being there an hour.

carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 22:25:41

YES i know exactly what you mean. i also know that my DB is no angel. a lesson your exes sister still has yet to learn it seems.

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:25:58

My mum is a dr and is on his side so he could have called her and not involved "services" but didn't, just sat up with him all night thinking he was wheezing then when I called and found out got my mum to take them away cos he was tired. His sister (and alcoholic mum) still think I'm a twat and try to undermine and interfere all the time.

carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 22:27:23

After an HOUR. He must be quite a heavy smoker then. and he shouldnt be making his ds complicit in the lie. he sounds like a big manchild.

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:27:40

His sister, wherever we move, literally wherever we (me and DH or me on my own) have lived, she had moved in over the road, literally opposite our house.

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:28:17

He is, your db doesn't sound so great either, what is he doing about your worries?

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:29:59

Anyway, detailing territory now... Really think you should call NSPCC yourself, which is a step before SS and will give you good advice.

Offred Mon 23-Jul-12 22:30:35

Derailing - stupid autocorrect!

carernotasaint Mon 23-Jul-12 22:32:15

Thanks offred and to the rest of the lovely ladies whove posted on my thread both in here and on Chat. It has helped me get some perspective so thankyou.

carernotasaint Thu 26-Jul-12 23:45:57

Met up with DN. It seems some of the problems are being caused by her stepdad.

izzyizin Thu 26-Jul-12 23:56:55

Mmmm... so he's the tyrant one who believes in OTT punishments? And your db and his ex go along with it?

carernotasaint Fri 27-Jul-12 00:04:36

the family (DN her brothers and sister and DBs ex and the SD (her husband) are due to go abroad soon.
They did say a few months back that they couldnt afford to pay for DN as well so my parents (DNs GPs paid for her ticket. (i have NO problem with this)
But i strongly suspect that the SD was saying that they couldnt afford it cos he didnt want DN to go (the younger kids are his biological children) and so when her GPs stumped up the cash he couldnt use that excuse anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now