Reading levels at start of Year 1

(47 Posts)
Mumtoprem Sun 27-Oct-13 08:03:32

My daughter has just started Year 1 and we have been told she is now on level 3 (Yellow) for reading.

Can anyone tell me what is the average reading level for the start of Year 1 and what level your children are on.

Daughter is statemented, has hearing impairment and speech and language delay.

cranberryorange Sun 27-Oct-13 08:51:06

Ds in on Level 1+ songbirds but i'm not sure where that fits in. The school insist its fine for Yr1confused

Mumof3xx Sun 27-Oct-13 08:52:07

My ds just started yr1, he started on level 2 and is now on level 3, he reads most level 3 books with ease

redskyatnight Sun 27-Oct-13 09:11:18

The range is very wide at the start of Y1 - from pink to free reading.

I would say yellow is pretty squarely in the "average" category.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 27-Oct-13 09:14:07

I'm a TA in a mixed reception and year 1 class. We have children from red (level 2) to green (level 5).

Fuzzymum1 Sun 27-Oct-13 09:22:20

I should have said We have year 1 children from red-green.

Mumof3xx Sun 27-Oct-13 09:22:25

Op given that your dd has a hearing impairment and speech and language delay I would say she is doing well!

lljkk Sun 27-Oct-13 09:42:45

DS is probably level 2. He really isn't clicking with reading although he's ok at decoding individual one syllable words.

sheridand Sun 27-Oct-13 13:39:17

From Red to Purple is the range in my class. They're ALL normal!

Cat98 Sun 27-Oct-13 14:52:56

Gold but ds is above average. His friend is on red.

starlight1234 Sun 27-Oct-13 15:09:22

My son went from red to white in year one.....He just excelled in year 1

headoverheels Sun 27-Oct-13 17:51:53

DD is on green - she is one of the oldest in the class so is already 6.

Periwinkle007 Sun 27-Oct-13 19:02:12

I think yellow is where they hope they would be at the start of year 1 but it isn't unusual for children to be on red and for others to be reading chapter books. My daughter's class certainly has some on yellow, she is on chapter books as are a couple of others but they have children throughout all the levels and they are all quite normal.

mydaftlass Sun 27-Oct-13 19:31:59

Dd1 was on red, which didn't concern her teachers. It sounds like she is doing just fine.

simpson Sun 27-Oct-13 19:45:51

DD is on lime. She gets to choose one lime book from the yr2 classroom and one chapter (or non fiction) book a week from the school library.

The majority of her friends are on stage 3-6 but her best friend is on gold.

moldingsunbeams Sun 27-Oct-13 20:13:37

Red to Gold band in the classes I was a TA in, all very normal.

moldingsunbeams Sun 27-Oct-13 20:14:53

Mumsnet is a weird place in terms of reading bands though, I don't know why but when dd was this age half of Mumsnet seemed to be on level 13 when she was on level 2 grin

jamtoast12 Sun 27-Oct-13 22:46:06

Dds class aims for everyone to start y1 on level 4 (obviously some exceptions) ...most of her class are level 5 now.

Retroformica Mon 28-Oct-13 06:19:07

She's at an average level for her year group.

MrsJamin Mon 28-Oct-13 06:22:48

Do all schools use the same colour system? Confused. Ds1 was on brown then has now been on green for a month- he's a pretty good reader I think. Is this the same system of colours?

MrsJamin Mon 28-Oct-13 06:24:23

Sorry OP I totally hijacked your thread. What matters is what your teacher says about her progress and how you can both support her reading development, rather than comparison with other children her age.

Periwinkle007 Mon 28-Oct-13 12:08:39

MrsJamin - schools can use any colours they want. our school uses the same colours but in a different order to the national curriculum book bands.

NC Book Bands are Pink, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Orange, Turquoise, Purple, Gold, White, Lime and then there are some other KS2 ones. Some schools use different colours depending on what colour labels they have had, whether they had coloured boxes before the NC book band level colours came along, personal choice at school etc. Scheme books will normally say on the back of them somewhere what their NC book band level/colour is. Oxford Reading Tree colours don't match NC book band colours but they have a table on their website which shows how they match up.

givemeaclue Mon 28-Oct-13 13:02:39

Pink to white in my dd class. Huge range.

mrz Mon 28-Oct-13 14:41:12

There aren't any National Curriculum book bands.

The most commonly used Book banding system, a method of levelling texts used by scheme publishers was devised by the IOE but there are other systems the best known being Cliff Moon

TenthMuse Mon 28-Oct-13 15:07:04

I used to teach in Year 1, and yellow level at this stage sounds absolutely fine. As redsky said, children would start on a huge range of levels, but in my experience it was often those on the more 'average' levels who made the most dramatic progress over the course of the year - their phonics skills would suddenly 'click' and they'd develop a real passion for reading. Some of the children whose reading skills were supposedly more advanced were just slightly more mature for their age or had been intensively drilled in phonics at home - they weren't necessarily the more able readers.

As others have said, I'd be wary of comparing levels with other parents. Have a word with your DD's teacher if you're concerned (but it sounds to me that she's perfectly on track).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now