Phonics training for teachers

(70 Posts)
mrz Thu 14-Feb-13 19:24:33
maizieD Thu 04-Jul-13 22:02:10

Below u can see the 91 main English spelling patterns and their 114 variants. Several are used for more than one sound (e.g. ou in 'sound, soup - double') but they pose reading rather than spelling problems.

As an extremely experienced phonics teacher I'm sure that mrz will not find your list very helpful, masha wink

maizieD Thu 04-Jul-13 22:00:00

Londoncentric,

You could try contacting these people: The Bloomfield Centre.

The link takes you to a course in SP for teachers, tutors & parents, but the centre may be able to suggest tutors to contact.

phonicbooks.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/syhtetic-phonics-courses-at-the-bloomfield-learning-centre-in-london-bridge/

Mashabell Thu 04-Jul-13 08:53:29

Mrz
there are approx 175-180 ways to spell the 44ish sounds of spoken English.

Below u can see the 91 main English spelling patterns and their 114 variants. Several are used for more than one sound (e.g. ou in 'sound, soup - double') but they pose reading rather than spelling problems.

a: cat – plait, meringue

a-e: plate – wait, weight, straight, great, vein, reign, table, dahlia, champagne, fete

-ay: play – they, weigh, ballet, cafe, matinee

air: air – care, bear, aerial, their, there, questionnaire
ar: car – are + (Southern Engl. bath)
au: sauce – caught, bought, always, tall, crawl
-aw: saw – (in UK with the same sound in: or, four, more)

b: bed

ca/o/u: cat, cot, cut – character, kangaroo, queue
cr/cl: crab/ clot – chrome, chlorine
-c: lilac – stomach, anorak
-ck: neck – cheque, rec
rocket - crocodile, soccer, occupy, liquor
kite/ kept - chemistry
seek - unique
risk - disc mosque

ch: chest – cello
-tch: clutch – much

d: dad – blonde

e: end – head, any, said, wednesday, friend, leisure, leopard, bury
ee: eel – eat, even, ceiling, field, police, people, me, key, ski, debris, quay
--y: jolly – trolley, movie, corgi
er: her – turn, bird, learn, word, journey,

f: fish – photo, stuff, rough
g: garden – ghastly, guard
h: house – who

i: ink – mystery, pretty, sieve, women, busy, build
i-e: bite – might, style, mild, kind, eider, height, climb, island indict sign
-y: my – high, pie, rye, buy, i, eye

j: jug / jog
jelly, jig – gentle, ginger;
-dg: fidget – digit
gorge

k: see c: ...
l: lips – llama
m: mum – dumb, autumn
n: nose – knot, gone, gnome, mnemonic
ng: ring

o: on – cough, sausage;
want – wont;
quarrel – quod
o-e: mole – bowl, roll, soul, boast, most, goes, mauve
old – mould
-oe: toe – go, dough, sew, cocoa, pharaoh, oh, depot
oi: oil – oyster
-oy: toy – buoy
oo: food – rude, shrewd, move, group, fruit, truth, tomb,
blue, do, shoe, through, manoeuvre
good – would, put, woman, courier
or: order – board, court;
wart, quart – worn, quorn
-ore: more – soar, door, four, war, swore, abhor
ou: out – town
-ow: now – plough

p: pin

qu: quick – acquire, choir
r: rug – rhubarb, write

s: sun – centre, scene
-ce: face - case
-cy: fancy - fantasy

sh: shop – chute, sure, moustache, liquorice
-tion: ignition – mission, pension, suspicion, fashion
-tious: ambitious – delicious, luscious;
-cial: facial – spatial

-cian: musician

t: tap, pet – pterodactyl, two, debt
-te: delicate – democrat

th: this thing

u: up – front, some, couple, blood
u-e: cute – you, newt, neutral, suit, beauty, tuesday, nuclear
-ue: cue – few, view, menu

v-: van
-ve: have – spiv
-v-: river – chivvy

w: window – which
x: fix – accept, except, exhibit
y: yak – use

z: zip – xylophone
-se: rose – froze

-si-: television
-su-: measure – azure

Endings and prefixes:
-able: loveable – credible
-al: vertical – novel, anvil, petrol
-ary: ordinary – machinery, inventory, century, carpentry
-en: fasten – abandon, truncheon, orphan, goblin, certain
-ence: absence – balance; absent – pleasant
-er: father – author, armour, nectar, centre, injure, quota
butcher – picture

de-: decide – divide
in-: indulge – endure

Consonant doubling:
merry (regular) – very(missing) – serrated(surplus)

Masha Bell

maizieD Wed 03-Jul-13 23:38:45

Anyone know of one who works in London?

I'll post a link to this thread on the RRF message board, there may be someone there who knows of a tutor in London.

Londoncentric Wed 03-Jul-13 22:37:17

Anyone still on this thread? I've been looking for a synthetic phonics tutor (pref Sounds Write-trained) for my 10 year old son in south London. He struggles still with reading and spelling but I'm having real difficulty finding a suitably trained tutor and not just a standard 11+ crammer.

Anyone know of one who works in London?

mrz Sat 30-Mar-13 14:27:44

You too x smile

Feenie Sat 30-Mar-13 13:40:08

Thanks, mrz, that's helpful.

Hope you have a lovely Easter x smile

mrz Sat 30-Mar-13 13:07:13

www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Title/9781444149456/New_Salford_Sentence_Reading_Test_Specimen_Set.htm contains the manual test cards and one recording sheet.
I think it's slightly cheaper on Amazon

There are 3 different tests so you could use a new one each term if you planned to use it to monitor progress.

Feenie Sat 30-Mar-13 10:20:47

I can see the manual, plus various other options like test cards, comprehension cards, specimen sheets, etc - I wish they would just tell you what you need and not price them up separately. Would I need all of it, mrz?

Feenie Sat 30-Mar-13 10:17:14

That looks very useful, may have to get that in.

mrz Sat 30-Mar-13 10:04:40

We are using the New Salford Sentence Reading Tests which give a RA and a Comprehension RA. Stupidly I've forgotten to bring home the handbook to look at standardised scores etc. Y1 & Y2 children were assessed at October half term and before we broke up for Easter.

I'm also going to assess all classes in the summer using Spelling Ages to plot progress from reception to Y6.

Feenie Sat 30-Mar-13 09:38:01

Sounds amazing, mrz - what are you using to test your Year 1s?

mrz Sat 30-Mar-13 09:10:09

Just looking at the gains in reading comprehension age in the same period and they are equally impressive. So much for "phonics teaching" doesn't improve understanding wink

mrz Fri 29-Mar-13 20:06:14

and they love phonicbooks wink

mrz Fri 29-Mar-13 07:29:57

We've just completed our second wave of Sounds-Write training based in our school and staff are really buzzing.
The data from my Y1 class is very promising with highest gain in reading age in a term and a half of 32 months and an average gain of 10 months across the class.

allchildrenreading Thu 28-Mar-13 22:27:03

I'm sorry, Londoncentric, I've only just seen your post. I'd strongly recommend the Bloomfield Centre, cited on Guy's Hospital. The teachers there are highly experienced and all use Sounds~Write.

Londoncentric Wed 20-Feb-13 14:19:22

Hi. I'm new to talk boards so please forgive lack of lingo, etiquette etc!

I'm looking for a synthetic/linguistic phonics tutor for my 9 year old son for some remedial reading/writing/spelling work. He is struggling at school and all the interventions in Action and Action+ have done little to help him catch up.

I've emailed, googled etc but can't find names of tutors that are trained in this way. I've read lots of research on dyslexics.org and RRF so I'm ready to give 'proper' phonics a go before we get pushed any further down the dyslexia/ADHD route by the school and various medical practitioners.

Can anyone help? We live in south London SW16 but can travel south and central London.

Thank you,
Desperate mum

mrz Mon 18-Feb-13 21:03:47

I should have said common ways to spell the sounds of spoken English.

The number of sounds also depend on accent and word origins etc of course.

allchildrenreading Mon 18-Feb-13 20:55:32

Mrz -
there are approx 175-180 ways to spell the 44ish sounds of spoken English.

This is something I've been meaning to clear up for ages - Do you limit this number of sound-letter correspondences to the 10,000 , 20,000 most common words or is this open-ended? If you include dialects, place names, christian and surnames, constantly expanding vocabulary, I would calculate that the number of ways to spell the 44ish sounds of English are way in excess of 170+

maizieD Sun 17-Feb-13 19:35:50

Interesting discussion.

All the SP and LP programmes teach that a sound can be represented by more than one letter, but I can see that if the children are 'doing' something like JP very early and not moved on from 'single' letter sounds at the pace set out in the programme they can end up with a mistaken impression of how letters 'work'. Which is a real shame because that is just the sort of thing which SP & LP programmes were written to circumvent.

DomesticCEO Sun 17-Feb-13 17:42:30

Thank you smile. Will try that. He's poorly at the mo or would be doing it now! grin

mrz Sun 17-Feb-13 17:37:35

It might be helpful to start with double letters <ss> hiss <ff> huff <zz> buzz then <ck> <th><ch> <sh> ...

DomesticCEO Sun 17-Feb-13 17:33:53

Mrz, no be only gets the idea of one letter one sound so I need to move in from there.

This thread has been v helpful both personally and professionally!

mrz Sun 17-Feb-13 15:35:43

Sounds-Write (and I imagine SRS) teach the concepts that sounds can be represented by one, two, three or four letters, that one sound can have different spellings, that one spelling can represent different sounds as well as the knowledge that there are approx 175-180 ways to spell the 44ish sounds of spoken English. I would imagine it is more difficult when children reach KS2 without this understanding.

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 15:18:39

I know that in the nursery in our school they do as choccy says. I have no experience of the foundation phase whatsoever, so I am pretty useless in terms of answering your question I'm afraid blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now