Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due anyday? Come in here, part three!

(554 Posts)
FastWindow Fri 20-Sep-13 22:48:12

Well we have filled up the second thread.

If you want support or just a moan.

Everyone is welcome!

midori1999 Mon 23-Sep-13 08:28:28

Sorry [hopeful] huge congrats to you too!!! Sorry your delivery wasn't as you'd have liked though.

Charlystar Mon 23-Sep-13 08:34:05

After having my 2nd acupuncture session yesterday i think it may have worked.

Ive been having contractions for about 3 hours (may have slept through some early ones) they have been and still are about 12 mins between lasting about 50-60secs. Have called the mw to let them know so just waiting it out now. Just hope they dont fizzle out to nothing.

PinkApple86 Mon 23-Sep-13 09:41:36

Hope this is it for u charly

mummratheevertired Mon 23-Sep-13 12:13:08

Exciting! Good luck Charly!

Xiaoxiong Mon 23-Sep-13 13:16:23

Hope today's the day charly! flowers

donttellalfred Mon 23-Sep-13 14:23:45

Good luck Charlystar!

FastWindow Mon 23-Sep-13 15:32:18

Hi all,

Well we are home, I'm sore and so tired as Juno is a very hungry baby and I managed to put one boob out if commission by letting her suck a big blood blister in the nipple, to make matters worse I just didn't have enough colostrum in the other boob to satisfy her so cue a few hours of frustration and no sleep... At three am after trying to hand express colostrum (bit like herding cats) i made the decision to ff. She went nuts for it and slept for four hours (thank you!!) but brilliantly still wanted boob. So it is possible, just because you offer bottle doesn't mean you've ruined bf for ever.

I have bought nipple shields. Watch this space.

It has also belatedly occurred to me how ironic my mn nn turned out to be...

FastWindow Mon 23-Sep-13 15:38:44

Looking forward to the good news charlystar!!

And a big welcome to all the others who have just joined, hoping that tonight's the night you wake up damp and going ' ow, Wtf!'

Mummra - I'm still not over the shock!! I used the app to time contractions and is a really vivid illustration of exactly how fast things progressed.

I may well have given birth in the car park had it not been a Sunday and therefore quiet on the roads.... It doesn't bear thinking about.

FastWindow Mon 23-Sep-13 15:51:04

Congrats hopeful!

Sounds just like my first labour, I totally empathise!

Doesn't half put you off being induced!!

Well done flowers

donttellalfred Mon 23-Sep-13 18:57:22

Fastwindow - something similar happened with my first, I had to give formula the two nights we were in hospital and gave formula once a day for two weeks after that. DS was fine on the boob and after those first two weeks we switched to ebf. So it's definitely possible to manage to keep them interested in bf even if you use a bit of formula or mix feed.

donttellalfred Mon 23-Sep-13 18:58:22

Sympathy for the blister btw, hope it clears up soon and the shields help.

Charlystar Tue 24-Sep-13 08:22:35

Omg! The acupuncture did work. I had my baby boy early hours this morning.

1st baby - ouch - 3rd degree tear - ouch - beautiful baby

His name is Spencer

Kilkers Tue 24-Sep-13 10:22:16

Yey, congrats Charly! x

Feeling a bit down today as I had a failed sweep yesterday (am 41+1 now) and have been booked in to be induced on Thursday morning. Am dreading potentially hanging around in hospital for days having repeated doses of the pessary and then ending up on the dreaded drip anyway.

I can't help worrying that I'll end up needing an epidural because of the drip and then won't be able to use the pool etc.

Just feeling a bit sorry for myself, I know it's more important to get the baby out safely but it's my first and I don't know what to expect hmm

honey86 Tue 24-Sep-13 11:25:59

congratulations charly smile thanks

mummratheevertired Tue 24-Sep-13 11:49:11

Congratulations Charly! Lovely, well done!

CruCru Tue 24-Sep-13 12:48:20

Congratulations Charly!

Hey FastWindow - I mixed fed nearly all the way through and fed DS for a year. My maternity nurse said its a good idea to introduce a bottle every other day from 3 weeks or you can end up with a baby who refuses the bottle.

Kilkers - I was induced with DS (and will be induced again next Tuesday). I didn't have an epidural, even though I was on a drip for some of it. You may not need one.

donttellalfred Tue 24-Sep-13 16:30:11

Congrats Charlystar!

Kilkers I was induced with my first too (drip)?and, while I would rather avoid it this time, it was ok and not as bad as I'd feared. Can you have another sweep before induction?

donttellalfred Tue 24-Sep-13 16:30:33

Sorry for random ?

Kilkers Tue 24-Sep-13 17:46:50

Thanks dont and CruCru. I think they will do another sweep as a matter of course when I'm admitted. I think I'm just being a drama queen as I've heard a lot of negative stories about the drip and I really would prefer not to have an epidural.

PinkApple86 Tue 24-Sep-13 20:55:10

congrats charly thanks

CruCru Tue 24-Sep-13 21:25:00

Do you have a TENS machine? I found that super helpful (partly because it gave me something to do at the start of each contraction).

If you use gas and air, start sucking on it when the contraction builds. Carry on sucking on it (similar to ascending when you are scuba diving).

Not sure if that's helpful or not.

CruCru Tue 24-Sep-13 21:26:54

However, if you need an epidural, sodding have one. You won't get any medal for hideous suffering.

Ultimately, labour takes up one day.

Rollermum Wed 25-Sep-13 03:26:53

Congrats to Mummra, FastWindow, Hopeful and Charlystar!! Finally, babies!

I was on the last thread and my LO has come too. I unfortunately had a long induction over 5 days and ended up with forceps delivery with complications that mean staying in hospital. Sounds terrifying to those concerned about induction, but I was physically an outlier - she was born at 40+17 and with a perfectly healthy baby and placenta. Also it genuinely was all worth it - each stage comes along and you deal with it.

She is gorgeous and lovely at 8.4lbs. Her name is Ida.

Goods luck to all those waiting - I really understand your frustration!

FastWindow Wed 25-Sep-13 08:57:27

Congrats charlystar and rollermum! I was starting to get worried about you roller. But you don't like to ask.

Beautiful names Spencer and Ida. Lots of unusual thinking going on here!

Rollermum I had the same with my first, only two days induction but in for a week after to make sure ds for antibiotics.

Kilkers i agree with crucru totally. So much is made of the perfect labour but ultimately that defines a one which results in you holding a baby. The journey - becomes irrelevant. Max pain relief all the way!! Love gas and air, but don't stop breathing it (tip, you can breathe out through the nozzle thingy as well)

Crucru she seems to be able to switch even midfeed. Amazing.

Good luck everyone waiting!

mummratheevertired Wed 25-Sep-13 11:24:45

Congratulations Rollermum. I've been thinking of you! Well done, such a long time but you have your little Ida now and it's so worth it when they're here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now