Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Need plausible excuses for not drinking!

(49 Posts)
MummyPig24 Thu 11-Jul-13 10:49:57

The school mums are arranging a night out next Friday for end of term drinks. I missed the last one but went to the Christmas drinks and it was so much fun I do really want to go. However it gets quite boozy and it will be obvious I won't be drinking. At Christmas I did say we definitely wanted another child at some point in the future so I think people will cotton on and I really don't want to share this with them yet. I am only 6 weeks. What can I say that people will believe?!

Bowlersarm Thu 11-Jul-13 10:51:38

Too hungover from the night before and can't face a drink?

Babybump26 Thu 11-Jul-13 10:52:48

Maybe say you're on antibiotics or strong painkillers which you can't mix with alcohol??

Luckily I don't drink a lot anyway so my friends never questioned me not drinking but my expanding chest gave me away! My friends don't miss a trick!

Hope you enjoy your evening out!

Theselittlelightsofmine Thu 11-Jul-13 10:53:02

Your driving?

MummyPig24 Thu 11-Jul-13 10:54:20

I don't drive and its in walking distance. I rarely drink but I would normally on one of these nights. It's going to have to be antibiotics isn't it. Uti?

Gonnabmummy Thu 11-Jul-13 10:56:14

Antibiotics won't work. Could you have a reason not to I.e really early morning? If not get your own drinks like a coke and say its vodka and coke. Failing that glass of wine and barely sip it once a few drinks have gone down they want notice what your drinking xx

Babybump26 Thu 11-Jul-13 10:56:31

UTI sounds like a good excuse! Can also double up as a reason for frequent toilet trips!

knittingirl Thu 11-Jul-13 10:56:52

Could you get a drink, and just nurse it all evening? Or depending on what you normally drink, get a coke and claim it's something like a vodka and coke? imo, the antibiotics excuse is the most obvious "I'm really pregnant" excuse around.

knittingirl Thu 11-Jul-13 10:57:14

x post with gonnabmummy!

themonsteratemyspacebar Thu 11-Jul-13 10:58:46

How about making sure you go to the bar on your own and ordering some sort of soft fizzy drink. If anyone asks just say you have vodka, gin, archers or malibu in it. I doubt anyone would notice or come and sniff your drink and taste it to make sure!

ShowOfHands Thu 11-Jul-13 10:59:05

Don't make excuses, they sound ridiculous. Nobody really pays attention to what you're drinking especially once they're tipsy. Unless you start giggling about antibiotics and drawing attention to it. Buy a drink, get something fizzy with a slice of lemon in it and nobody will ask what it is.

And if they ask, look blank and say 'no... why, are you?'

Seriously, my brother likes a drink, sometimes he has a coke or water or juice because he fancies it. He doesn't have to make a song and dance about excuses. Only newly pregnant women do this.

lunareef Thu 11-Jul-13 10:59:57

You could say you are trying for a baby and want to be healthy to increase your chances. Antibiotics is the best one

RobotBananas Thu 11-Jul-13 11:00:53

The heat. Just say you can't face booze when its this hot.
No need to make excuses, and def don't say antibiotics - dead give away. Just say you don't fancy one.

MummyPig24 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:01:16

Ok good idea I could pretend my lemonade had vodka in it. I was there first last time because I'm always bloody embarrassingly early for everything so it will work!

MummyPig24 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:02:03

I don't want to draw attention to it so if nobody asks I won't say.

Emsmaman Thu 11-Jul-13 11:04:50

Non alcoholic mojitos : ) Say you're going to order your own since cocktails are expensive. More convincing looking than the lemonade trick!

lydiajones Thu 11-Jul-13 11:05:32

Don't say antibiotics as that is a code that everyone knows for being pregnant. Best thing to do is buy soft fizzy drinks and pretend they are mixers.

missesjellybean Thu 11-Jul-13 11:07:08

antibiotics for a dental absess you really can't drink on these or you will vomit soooooooo much.

LostMySocks Thu 11-Jul-13 11:08:01

People notice that you don't have a glass not that you're not drinking. I went away for a weekend with inlaws before we told them about the baby. I just poured a half glass of wine and wandered round holding it. Half glass important as it looks like you've been drinking. Or as others have said a tonic water looks like a G&T.

maja00 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:09:01

Buy soft drinks. If any asks say you are low-carbing.

ScrambledSmegs Netherlands Thu 11-Jul-13 11:09:45

I ordered tonic water with ice and a slice of lime for ages when pregnant, mainly because it helped settle my stomach but it had the added bonus of people assuming that it had gin in it.

And what Showy said ^^ Turning the questions back on them is perfect.

NoComet Thu 11-Jul-13 11:11:16

hay fever meds is the obvious one at this time of year.

Sun has already given me a head ache without wine.

But, I agree just don't raise the subject is best.

C4ro Thu 11-Jul-13 11:12:14

Driving later or are an emergency driver call-out for a friend/ relative who may or may not need your help.
Drink orange juice- that could have had a shot of vodka in (but doesn't).
Fancy a night off.
Stomach a bit sensitive.

MummyPig24 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:13:40

Than you everyone! I will try to get there first, order a soft drink with ice and a slice and hope no one asks. They often buy bottles of wine but I guess I will just say "no thanks" and stick to buying my own.

TheFallenNinja Thu 11-Jul-13 11:16:25

Nothing you can say, you will almost instantly get rumbled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now