Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Diet Coke

(69 Posts)
Newtobecomingamum Fri 26-Apr-13 00:13:03

I absolutely love diet coke and I tried my hardest to give it up when I found out I was pregnant. I have managed to cut down to one/two cans a day and try and buy the caffeine free diet coke (although this is hard as they don't usually have it in your local shop/petrol station etc and only sell the big bottles or multi-pack cans at supermarket. I try not to buy it from the supermarket as if I have bulk or a large bottle I drink it to quickly, where as buying the cans from the shop helps me to limit how much I have. I know it's terrible and bad for you. I feel so guilty when I have drunk some, I am truly addicted to the stuff. Does anyone have this or is addicted to diet coke in this way? I had it before I was pregnant, I think I got hooked during my uni days. It is like a drug and when I have it, I feel so much better and get a massive boost.

AbiElizabeth Fri 26-Apr-13 15:42:57

I love diet coke. I used to really enjoy my diet coke and a ciggie break from uni work. I can't have the cig any more and now i've told myself I am allowed one can of diet coke a day as my treat if I get everything done on my list for the day. It originally took the taste in my mouth away better than anything, but I have started drinking ice cold fizzy water and a tiny bit of juice. It give you the tingly feeling you get from diet coke and is much better for you smile

I feel your pain though OP

Lolapink Fri 26-Apr-13 15:50:15

I gave up caffeine on the 31st December to get ready for IVF, I am now 8 weeks pregnant and haven't touched the stuff. I know it's really hard as I crave it, but try going cold turkey as its really bad for you.

ppeatfruit Fri 26-Apr-13 15:55:27

This is like a slimming thread grin Congratulations AbiElizabeth and Lolapink!!!

Chloebw Fri 26-Apr-13 16:07:59

If it was that bad the human race would have died out by now (or be ageing horribly) just try and cut down smile

ppeatfruit Fri 26-Apr-13 16:23:09

Sadly there's a hell of a lot of cancer and bad health about also people dying quite young. The old ones aren't exactly running about are they?

MadBusLady Fri 26-Apr-13 16:33:05

I think (no scientific basis for this) it IS addictive, and you're quite right to think of it like a drug. I got into the habit of having a 500ml bottle with my lunch in my mid-20s and I noticed I used to get really twitchy and deprived and actually angry if the sandwich shop had run out by the time I got there. So I stopped drinking it because it was a bit weird feeling that beholden to a bottle of brown stuff, and I had a physical come-down. Sweaty, headaches, generally achey and on-edge.

I'm not sure what to suggest but I drink sparkling water now, and it's as delicious to me as coke was, so it is possible to retrain yourself. Agree squash in sparkling water might be a good transition - you could afford naice cordials with the money you save off the coke. smile

Fakebook Fri 26-Apr-13 16:40:46

I've always cut coke out of my diet to lose weight. I always knew it made. me put on unhealthy weight around my hips and stomach, and after watching The Men Who Made Us Fat on BBC2, I found out the science behind it and cut it out of my diet for good with the occasional drink here and there after DS was born. I also replaced the coke bubbly tingly feeling with sparkling water and juice, but that just makes me queasy since I got pregnant again.

My bad taste isn't caused by bad teeth. I visited the dentist last week and all was fine. It's caused by pregnancy.

ppeatfruit Sat 27-Apr-13 09:54:11

Yeah you're so right about the weight. fakebook Lucky you with the dentist! Madbust There used to be real cocaine in it but I s'pose they reckon the sugars and caffeine are addictive enough now grin. IKWYM about that addicted feeling I stopped a daily cup of ground coffee because I didn't want to feel like that and a bonus was that I lost nearly a stone!

WipsGlitter Sat 27-Apr-13 10:05:49

I drank loads when pregnant! But I did give up for a New Years resolution this year and have managed so far. Cold turkey. I do really, really miss it sometimes though.

ppeatfruit Sat 27-Apr-13 10:34:45

Brilliant Wips!!!

TwoTearsInABucket Sat 27-Apr-13 10:50:27

the horrible taste in your mouth is definitely not caused by bad teeth. I have the metallic taste in my mouth and its called Dysgeusia. Vinegary foods get rid of it for a while, or tic tacs.
I used to love diet coke, but the thought of all that aspartame made me stop. i have started drinking Fanta (not diet) as that seems to help the morning sickness. Tried orange and fizzy water but threw up on it and haven't enjoyed it since. Fizzy water on its own is acceptable.

brettgirl2 Sat 27-Apr-13 10:54:22

oh ffs get a grip. It's not that bad if you want to drink it then do. The diet coke police really get on my wick. In terms of the artificial sweetener you need to drink about a tanker full a day for it to be harmful according to the 'evidence'

In terms of diabetes that's the full fat one.

ppeatfruit Sat 27-Apr-13 11:12:20

brett Aspartame gives me large red spots, it may not give me cancer but I'd prefer not to have eczema thanks. Some non sugar sweeteners aren't bad though. I just hate the idea of the manufacturers making enormous profits by selling non nutritive stuff that just makes people fat.

Dh was working in the states and in the board room of a large oil company was amazed to see the execs sitting with drinks of coke as opposed to water ITS NOT WATER FFS.

brettgirl2 Sat 27-Apr-13 11:18:25

Thats fine and I would also avoid in that case but somewhat irrelevant to the op as I doubt it gives her red spots.

BlackholesAndRevelations Sat 27-Apr-13 12:17:59

Agreed brettgirl. I have the occasional can. Haven't bought a multipack for a while but when I did have one, I had a can a day. Everything in moderation and all that.

Fakebook Sat 27-Apr-13 13:58:17

Ppeatfruit, I know you mean well, but you're beginning to scare monger now. I'm sure everyone is old enough and intelligent enough to make their own decisions. It's not nice telling people they have bad teeth from eating and drinking too many sugary things.

As for the aspartame topic; what a whole load of brouhaha over nothing. There isn't enough substantial evidence to prove that it causes cancer and other illnesses. There's a lot of conspiracy theories on the Internet though. Probably more than the actual story. Moderation is the key.

ppeatfruit Sat 27-Apr-13 14:06:34

So dentists aren't nice then? They've been saying that for many many years !!!!! I didn't say aspartame causes cancer I said it gives ME eczema.

The very sad thing is so many people are brain washed by advertising etc. to buy the brown sugar water that its obviously unusual to hear someone saying the opposite. The manuf. don't want you to buy in moderation they want you to drink it like water BTW. Google it if you don't believe me.

Fakebook Sat 27-Apr-13 14:25:59

Are you a dentist? If you are, it's amazing how you can diagnose someone's bad teeth by not even meeting them. True talent you have there hmm.

Yes I know people are brainwashed by advertising; product placement is in films and TV programmes is not a new phenomenon. The corn syrup used in coke turns "off" the hunger controlling hormone, leptin so your brain continues to think you are hungry which causes over eating. That's why you put on weight when you drink it alongside the extra sugar.

I know all this. I am still drinking it in pregnancy because it comforts me. Am I stupid? No. I make my own choices.

Pusspuss1 Sat 27-Apr-13 14:59:02

The caffeine isn't the only issue - I read an article recently reporting on a study of the effect of artificial sweeteners in pregnancy. They found that even (e.g.) one diet coke a day meant a 40% increased chance of premature delivery, which is obviously a bad thing for the baby. I had just finished a deliciously refreshing caffeine-free DC at the time, so I felt particularly guilty! Suggest swapping to the real stuff whilst you're pregnant, if it's unavoidable. I feel your pain - that and not chewing sugar free gum is killing me!

ppeatfruit Sat 27-Apr-13 15:02:59

Oh dear You don't need to be a dentist to know that sugar rots your teeth google teeth and sugar.

But you are happy and I didn't say you were stupid, you said that, that's fine there's no need to get all shirty because I say something you disagree with, enjoy your lovely diet.

AbiElizabeth Sat 27-Apr-13 15:35:57

well this is all getting very bitchy and although it is entertaining to read can we not just agree that yes diet coke is not as good for you as water. Of course it isn't good for you. In a perfect world we would all drink water and ride around on unicorns without a care in the world.

Drink what you want to drink. Telling people horror stories isn't going to make much difference and is just going to make people turn against you.

end of rant.

Fakebook Sat 27-Apr-13 16:13:26

Yes it does rot your teeth, but bad taste is not always caused by this when you're PREGNANT, and telling pregnant women on here that sugar rots your teeth and causes bad dental hygiene is quite patronising.

Oh and yes, I do disagree with you. I disagree with the way you're preaching the bad effects of coke and trying to scare people. I've said it before, women are intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves. We know coke is bad for you, we know we should cut down. We don't need someone getting evangelical about it.

I am still drinking 2 cans of sugar free red bull a day. blush

Fakebook Sat 27-Apr-13 16:29:27

SchroSaw, at least it won't rot your teeth grin.

There is that. wink

In my defence though, I wouldn't be able to stay awake without it, I have a toddler and chronic fatigue and this pregnancy was unexpected. I am still well under the caffeine limit.

Teeth are definitely still lovely though! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now