Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone Else Pregnant Aged 44?

(183 Posts)
LottieH Wed 20-Feb-13 16:02:23

Is anyone else out there in their mid 40s & pregnant like me? Everyone else I know who is expecting seems to be in their 30s (which I was when I started having children) but now feel people think I'm a bit odd?! Have had some very strange comments when I've announced it to people.

ExpatAl Wed 20-Mar-13 12:18:30

Lovely that your dh is so happy about the baby rosie. I like it when men don't act cool about it.

Minky, I can't believe they might not fit you in for a scan. Outrageous that you might have to fork out for one. Hope the NHS comes through.

Good luck with the test Cyclecamper.

MinkyWinky Wed 20-Mar-13 13:04:57

Hello! Well they called me today (yay!) to tell me they've fitted me in for a scan. Unfortunately it's in the middle of a working day and apparently the only one available. While my office will be great when I tell them I'm pregnant, I haven't yet. The guidance is also that maternity appointments should be made at the beginning/end of the day, so middle of the day appointments (especially on short notice) are a nightmare - and this one clashed with two meetings that I can't rearrange/miss without raising a lot of questions I don't want to have to answer at the moment. It doesn't help that I work an hour away from home (and hour and a half from the hospital), so I can't just nip over there. I think for my own sanity (and convenience) this is one scan I'm going to do privately. Not ideal sad

Hopefully the NHS will give me more notice about the 20 week one grin

Rosie - I love that you DH is so excited about your baby! You definitely need to thwart the sheep - I'm sure you can make up some UK restriction on who can buy/sell sheep grin

Lottielloyd Fri 10-May-13 12:48:43

Hi
I'm now 19 weeks! Had a few scares but hopefully everything will be ok. After 3 (older) boys, I'm having a daughter. Whole new ball gave for me. Been used to football and weestling for the last 20 years. Never even changed a girls nappy!
How are you all?

rosiedays Fri 10-May-13 14:27:33

Hi Lottie grin in the pink! oh you will have so much fun with a daughter.
Bump and i are doing really well, smile nearly 30 weeks now shock DD1 came at 34 weeks so mentally getting ready whilst not wanting to presume she will be early as it will make from 34 to 40 a very LONG wait.
Hi minkie soup and expat would love to know how you all are.

ExpatAl Fri 10-May-13 17:17:49

Hello girls! Good to hear it's going well with you both. We don't know what we're having but I have a feeling it's a girl - no idea why. I will be 23 weeks tomorrow and haven't had any problems apart from occasional terrible heartburn - usually self inflicted though. Am loving the movements, they're getting stronger all the time smile

Lottielloyd Tue 14-May-13 10:45:17

Hhhmm I'm not sure how to bring up girls! Can't stand all that pink stuff!! I've already decided she is going to be a "Tom boy!"
Hopefully she will like football.
Got my 20 week scan tomorrow..

MinkyWinky Tue 14-May-13 13:01:34

Hello! Lovely to hear everything is going well for you all.

I'm 20 weeks tomorrow and had my anomaly scan yesterday. All is well. The baby wasn't being particularly co-operative, but they managed to take all the measurements/pictures they needed after I spent 5 mins walking and jogging up and down to make him/her move in the right direction. Unfortunately they couldn't tell us what sex it is, as s/he had got fed up with being poked around and wouldn't co-operate grin

Good luck tomorrow Lottie

Lottielloyd Tue 14-May-13 21:52:19

Great to hear all is well with your scan minkywinky. Would you have liked to find out the sex?
I have to go on my own as my oh is working away. Bit scared but hopefully everything will be ok.
Will update tomorrow

dylan1997 Wed 15-May-13 04:03:11

hi..I am 44 and might be pregnant..kind of afraid to know for sure. and if I am im 5 or 6 months. .and yes I am just thinking I might be now

rosiedays Wed 15-May-13 09:10:52

minky glad all good with scan thanks Will you have another to find out the sex or wait for a surprise now? I didn't want to know but DH did so we found out, very glad we did as i really thought she was and wanted a boy. I found 20 week scan SO reasuring.
lottie hope all goes well well today. dont worry about bringing up a little girl, honestly there great, My 2 are chalk and cheese, 1 is a propper girly girl the other doesn't and never has owned a skirt!! IMO little girls are so much easer than boys.
Hi Dylan WHAT!! 5 /6 months and not POAS yet?? (did you mean weeks!!!) Please get checked out. is it your first? are you in the UK?
expat heart burn is a nightmare... gaviscon is your friend!!! movements are amazing, i can see my whole bump move now and she wriggles a lot!
Feeling very proud of being very organised. i have everything i'll need and it's all neat and tidy in her new draws (amazing how much stuff i've been given) hospital bag packed. refusing to buy pretty dresses untill she arrives as i want to see her first. DH is v dark brown (Egyptian) and i'm lilly white. I wonder who she'll take after.

MinkyWinky Wed 15-May-13 12:33:20

After a long debate with my DH we decide we would like to know, mainly because i like to plan and would have decorated the nursery accordingly grin. The sonographer did say that by what she could see it was more likely to be a girl, but she couldn't say for sure... Look like I'll be going for greens and yellows or may be lilacs/purples!

Wow Dylan 5-6 months. Are you going to test to find out for sure?

rosie smile at you being so organised. It will be exciting to see her!

ExpatAl Wed 15-May-13 13:53:34

Oh Rosie, she'll look gorgeous. Egyptians have beautiful bone structure.
I'm very impressed at you being so organised and will take a leaf out of your book.

Dylan, pee on a stick! We need to know!

Minky, great to hear all is going well with you.

Us old birds aren't doing too badly. grin

cheznic Wed 22-May-13 12:37:54

Hi All, and congrats to everyone.. I am new on here and have found out I am pregnant at 44years old, this baby wasnt planned and I am also scared to bits with all these tests etc..
I am roughly between 8 and 9 weeks pregnant whoop whoop, still feel ruff now and again, but better than i did a couple of weeks ago as I had a bladder infection (painful) and felt so sick and tired..

MinkyWinky Thu 23-May-13 13:44:24

Hi cheznic. Congratulations! Hang on in there. I felt dreadful up until week 12 then all the nausea, hunger and tiredness tailed off.

I know what you mean about the tests. I was especially worried about the combined test results, but I've been classified as low risk, which was a huge weight off my mind. So don't panic, it will probably all be fine smile

cheznic Thu 23-May-13 13:48:54

Thanks Minkywinky it sure does help, I have my first scan on 3rd june.

Lottielloyd Mon 27-May-13 09:57:35

How is everyone? I'm getting fed up already!! I'm not great at being pregnant!! Roll on October!!

MinkyWinky Mon 27-May-13 20:47:19

Hi Lottie, how did your scan go?

I'm ok. I have my first consultant appointment tomorrow. Not sure what to expect... Are you seeing one?

Surprisingly, I have moments when I don't feel pregnant... Usually when I'm in bed and not moving... The achey back first thing in the morning is annoying though.

Lottielloyd Mon 27-May-13 22:33:44

Scan went really well. She's measuring as she should and all is looking perfect. Which is a relief as we have had a few scares. Yes I'm under consultant care. I queried having a c section because of my age. He said we don't treat you different because you are older!! He said you can have a natural birth. Gulp!!

MinkyWinky Tue 28-May-13 10:32:37

Great news that the scan went well and interesting to hear what the consultant says this after, especially bearing in mind what's yours has said. Saying that if they don't treat us any differently because of our age, why the mandatory consultant care smile

Lottielloyd Tue 28-May-13 14:37:33

Even he asked why I was there! I said I don't know!!

MinkyWinky Tue 28-May-13 16:50:28

grin

My consultant was very nice (though he looked very young, which means I am getting oldsmile). He's given me low dose aspirin to take every day to reduce the risk of pre-eclampsia. Also booked me in for 36 weeks to discuss birth plan and do the next check. They will induce at 40 weeks. Otherwise everything was fine!

Lottielloyd Tue 28-May-13 19:21:01

I didn't know aspirin was used as a precaution for pre eclampsia. Maybe I should ask about this.

rosiedays Wed 29-May-13 08:53:49

Hi Everyone, smile
Lotty glad scan went well, why are you feeling fed up? sad Is it that still so long to go feeling?? I was under consultant untill 20 weeks, due to very underactive thyroid, (which is under controle now) I to am Px asprin, next due to see consultant at 38 weeks, and have sweeps booked week 38 and 39.

hi chez grin congratulations. unplanned babys are extra special gifts flowers how are you feeling? do you have othe DC?

Minky how far along are you now? i still have moments when i forget, but they don't last long! heart burn and huge bump and wriggeling baby see to that!

expat you still around?? not seen you post fro a while. hope your Ok.

Me... 32+ weeks now, DD1 was born at 34 weeks which is a bit scary. I feel really well and other than heart burn (if heart burn = hair I'm having a baby monkey!!!) and total baby brain, no real issues. t DH is being just amazing, although some cultural issues re how to look after a baby are raising their head. My MIL is great, i love her to bits HOWEVER..... her parenting of a young baby ideas are strange. think finger dipped in honey for baby to suck every morning. confused DSiL has also said she wants to try breast feeding baby when we go to egypt???? she's not even pregnant!!! (will deal with that one at the time!!!)
xx

MinkyWinky Wed 29-May-13 13:45:25

Hello rosie, I'm 22 weeks today smile. Baby's wriggling away today!

Interesting that you were prescribed aspirin too (I thought it might be due to family history of High blood pressure - although none in pregnancy).

I don't envy you the heartburn. I got it when i was on holiday a couple of weeks ago when I drank too many cold/sweet drinks! Gaviscon became my best friend.

Very funny to hear about the cultural differences. grin at your MIL trying to breastfeeding your baby.

rosiedays Wed 29-May-13 14:15:49

minky the aspirin is to help the placenta I think. Us oldies apparently have higher risk of pre aclampcia and other placenta issues. My worry is about bleeding during birth or if emergency section is needed.
I love the wriggles grin so glad I got to feel them again, I'd completely forgotten what they felt like. Will miss them when she's not in there anymore. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now