Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnant type 1 diabetics, step over here...

(1000 Posts)

I seem to have filled up the old thread and thought I better start a new one! grin Still got ages to go, don't leave me now...

Am currently sat waiting for my 16 week antenatal appt, been here an hour so far and just had BP done and that's it.

Hopingforno2 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:48:02

So low before bed again tho as my ds decided he was sharing my snack it could be that lol sorry just needed to moan lol

BonaDea Sat 09-Mar-13 06:45:12

Hoping - you might be right. Maybe you've been fighting something off and now your just back to where you were. Although I would say that I haven't had two weeks where I haven't needed more and more insulin... Keep a close eye on things today - no food sharing or unusual things. If you are still low, call in.

Nice idea about sex to kick things off but really couldn't think of anything worse right now!!confused

Am 36+3 today so quite unlikely anything would start right now, but you never know....

Ooo Bona I've never been that pregnant! wink Will your mw see if she can give you a sweep?

Hopingforno2 Sat 09-Mar-13 07:47:39

Thanks bona was fairly low at bedtime do all being well throught the day i will knock 1u off the levemir i take around 8 as id put that up while feeling shitty and just the 1u off my day one did seem to have a big impact obv still concerned but baby is moving around and touch wood no other negative symtoms. Im hoping will be fine till monday as at least then it will be my consultant who will know what im taking about if u know what i mean

dieciocho Sat 09-Mar-13 08:59:47

Wow bona, you're so well-prepared.
I've also heard the sperm-cervix thing...
Long walks are also said to help.
One reason my drs. pulled V out when they did was because I was having weeny contractions - so small I only really felt uncomfortable in every position, but didn't feel any pain. I was 36+4...
I had been doing various yoga-ish exercises at home every day for the preceding 2 weeks. Just a thought.

I was having 'tightenings' every two minutes when they strapped me to the monitor at 35 weeks grin I think our bodies are pretty clever and I do wonder if we would ever go overdue if left.... I suppose if in your mind you're only working towards 38 weeks maybe your body does start getting ready confused

Hopingforno2 Sat 09-Mar-13 10:25:09

With my ds i was taken in at 6pm the night before induction and was found to be 2-3cm when they went to put in the pessarie hadnt felt a thing at all lol

So long as eveythings ok is it ok at 36 weeks to try n get labour started urself? My elcs is due to babys probable size at 38 weeks so would they let me deliver myself if i went in to labour before then do u think?

BonaDea Sat 09-Mar-13 12:38:53

Not sure about being well prepared, just desperate and trying anything!!

diec - been at my yoga class this morning and definitely going to do all the positions I can to get baby's head engaged. Are there more specific induction type moves I can be trying?

I do feel things are 'happening' down there - have had quite a few crampy pains and some tight feelings, but I think it is all just normal BH type stuff rather than anything more exciting! You never know, tho.... To be honest,with some of the 'tight' sensations I struggle to decide whether it is just the baby doing weird things or whether it is something else.

spotty I think you might be right that subconsciously our bodies get ready earlier. I hope so at least! If I went in at 2-3cm I would be delighted! At least it would give me the best possible chance of the pessaries kicking things off! And yes, I've agreed with them that they'll try to give me a sweep on Tuesday when I go in(36+6). However, I think from their perspective it is unlikely that my cervix will be reachable at that stage. Think if there is no access I will ask to go in again maybe on Friday next week (37+2) to see if it is possible then...

hoping you kind of need to weigh it up, which is what I did. I figured that any of the things I wanted to try were unlikely to work straight away so I decided to start in earnest at 36 weeks. However, that is obviously still early. By 37 weeks, tho, baby is properly full term and wouldn't be classed as prem. the problem is that if you wait to try these things til 37 weeks you're not giving yourself much time to get things going with all these techniques!

BonaDea Sat 09-Mar-13 12:40:24

And hoping, if you go into labour naturally it is YOUR choice if you want to give it a go. They can't force you into a section.

Remind me why they are going for elecs rather than induction at 38 weeks?

Hopingforno2 Sat 09-Mar-13 12:58:15

My consultant never really gave me the choice scan showed baby was 6lbs 4oz a fortnight ago and she said at that size by the time i was 38 weeks she would be nearer 10lbs so i was booked in there and then for a c section i am smallish i guess im 5ft 2ins and my ds ended in an emergency csection the morning after i was admitted they broke my waters and put me on to a pitocin drip which got me to 10cm in around 6 hours but after pushing for an hour just couldnt budge him so was put down as failure to progress by the time they took me to theatre for trial of forceps his hb had started to dip so they did a section. Im convinced now that they rushed ds that they could have given me a bit longer to see if my labour progressed itself my show happened overnight so i might have plus i think ds drop in hb was down to pethidine horrid stuff!.

Am i mad for not yet having pushed for induction?

Hmm if it was me hoping I think I would push for the induction BUT don't they have to be careful with induction vbacs? Maybe you could ask for opinions in the childbirth section? If you're happy with an elcs then go for it though.

Dd was 8lb at 36 weeks and CS was never mentioned at previous appointments

Hopingforno2 Sat 09-Mar-13 13:07:10

Im thinking thats why my consultant hasnt given me the choice as it may be more risk of uterine rupture if its put under the pressure of labouring fast with a big baby though not entirely clear on it when i googled my consultant she seems to be well respected in this field. I have expressed my concern as to skin to skin contact and plan to bring up being seperated from baby then stuck in a 4 bed room like i was last time because 'there wasnt enough staff to keep a check on me and my ds' this was in recovery after my consultant had said that he was to stay with me!

Hopingforno2 Sat 09-Mar-13 13:08:15

btw has anyone heard from puds hope she is ok

BonaDea Sat 09-Mar-13 15:37:57

Hoping - it might be the vbac thing as suggested below. My consultant told me that if I don't have a vaginal delivery this time vbac is basically ruled out. But I think you should at least ask.

I think my baby was 6lbs+ at the 34 week scan and by the 36 week scan it was projected at 7lbs 10 so also big but section not mentioned...

Hopingforno2 Sat 09-Mar-13 18:47:46

Hmm oh i will ask why its an automatic section and have another growth scan monday too so will get an idea of where we r weight wise too i guess, my bg just doesnt know what to be up to was 3.9 at lunch and 5.4 2.5 hours later shall see how its sitting when oh arrives home from work

dieciocho Sun 10-Mar-13 08:29:31

Happy Mother's Day to those of us with babies/children already - I can't believe it's my first Mother's Day shock. V is currently sleeping on me in the sling after eating her breakfast smile - no cards yet.....
bona, you only miss it by a week or so, but next year's will be amazing because your baby will be smiling and toddling and babbling!

Re: yoga positions, mine were all to try to turn her, so not really useful for inducing labour, but might've done that anyway [hmmm]. Sorry.

BonaDea Sun 10-Mar-13 08:47:48

Happy mothers day folks! Can't believe I'm going to be one too soon!! Enjoy the day ladies, and hope you get spoiled.

Diec - are your crazy sugars getting better and not hypoing you all the time?

Hoping - any more unexpected lows?

Hopingforno2 Sun 10-Mar-13 10:03:25

Happy Mothers Day everyone smile

bona the odd low but went really high during the night and was 9 this morning but shall present them with my concerns tommorow, a scan would show if there was anything to worrry about tho right?

BonaDea Sun 10-Mar-13 21:13:38

Hoping - have tried to reply a couple of times but phone doing weird things!!

Scan can only pick up size and obv show heartbeat etc. it can't tell whether the placenta is deteriorating which is the other main concern apart from just size. Because they have no way of telling that they tend to want to get baby out at 38 weeks even if not totally massive...

Drop in insulin needs is one sign of failing placenta and there aren't really many other tests etc they can do. I don't think what is happening to you right now sounds too dramatic - I think the drop if there is a problem is much more sudden - but definitely mention it and let us know what they say.

Have to say, being almost 37 weeks now I just can't imagine having potentially to keep going to 42 weeks!!! Urgh!

Hopingforno2 Sun 10-Mar-13 22:08:17

Thanks bona i will def be asking tommorow if i should be worried tho i think its only 2u im needing to drop at times and if baby is big tommorow if its mayabe another growth spurt still mobing around alot anyways. Oooh its so close for u bona u must be soo excited im on the countdown 3 weeks 4 days at most!

Argh just got an 18

dieciocho Mon 11-Mar-13 10:54:56

bona sugars have improved since l reverted to just one Levemir dose a day, but l think my average daily reading would still be 10mmol.
I often have a pre-breakfast reading of 13-16, but middle-of-the-night reading of 3 - dawn phenomenon I think, don't you?
Diabetes clinic appt. next week, so HbA1c blood has been done...I'll let you know how awful it is!

diec I'm surprised they've done an hba1c already. Policy in my area is to wait at least three months

Hopingforno2 Mon 11-Mar-13 11:49:43

Hi everyone,

Well baby is now 7lbs 4oz and said all looked ok but im getting checked twice a week go back thus for a trace and next monday for a doppler scan to check blood flow to baby and fluid this obv concerned me and i asked if there was something to be worried about but they said no just keeping a close eye on u?! I asked if i should be worried about my insulin needs and bg but again they didnt seem too worried said mayabe by putting my doses up they had pushed me in to lows an to bring them back to what they were 2 weeks ago but any dramatic drops to call in so all in all not sure what to make of it!

BonaDea Mon 11-Mar-13 18:20:01

Diec - agree it sounds like dawn phenomenon. Mornings are no fun. Doesn't sound like you can afford to up the long lasting or you'd go too low. Only way around it would be to increase it but factor in a snack but that's not ideal either...

Spotty - don't worry about an isolated 18. Not like it's every day!

Hoping - that sounds fair enough to me and fingers crossed all still going well!

This thread is not accepting new messages.